2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the second generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Best Choice + deal new tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 12:12 AM
Best Choice + deal new tires

Need 4 new tires for 2009 FIT Sport. COSTCO has best overall deal for 4 Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 205/55/16 ("green"=eco) w/ 65,000 warranty. Their price is $680 out the door = INCLUDES cost tires, free/prorated lifetime road hazard (covers my accidental things like sidewall curb damage from parking), lifetime 3K-5K rotation/balance free, initial mount/balance free. But, limited in carrying my 'fit' of tires, tax= all 4 out door is about $680.
I corner tightly-love curves-drive mostly local, some freeway--some curvy backroads. Climate dry, except some rain winters.
Is this best tire for me and sweetest deal?
COSTCO doesn't do, but should I get a performance alignment too?

Old 06-03-2013, 12:16 AM
No

Check out Discounttiredirect. They have the best deals on tires, and maybe ask Costco to do the installation

Old 06-03-2013, 02:07 AM
thanks & more for your info reply-the other question?

Originally Posted by SBFT09
Check out Discounttiredirect. They have the best deals on tires, and maybe ask Costco to do the installation
Thanks so much for your suggestion. Unfortunately, COSTCO comes as a package deal: you buy the tires from them, you get the total deal. These tires are listed cheaper many other places, but if you add up all the things that COSTCO Includes with the price Out the Door I gave $680, it is hard to beat. Consider just getting free balancing/rotations for the life of the tire. If you get 50,000 miles from the tires & balance/rotate every 5000 mis = 10 times X whatever cost you might pay just for that.....it costs much more, not to mention the other things COSTCO does for free or less. It is ridiculously tempting to go with them! Also, they aren't there with selling profit motives already made profit by buying masses of stuff.
The other question:
But, are these the best tires for my needs anyway??!

Old 06-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by tashakitty
Need 4 new tires for 2009 FIT Sport. COSTCO has best overall deal for 4 Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 205/55/16 ("green"=eco) w/ 65,000 warranty. Their price is $680 out the door = INCLUDES cost tires, free/prorated lifetime road hazard (covers my accidental things like sidewall curb damage from parking), lifetime 3K-5K rotation/balance free, initial mount/balance free. But, limited in carrying my 'fit' of tires, tax= all 4 out door is about $680.
I corner tightly-love curves-drive mostly local, some freeway--some curvy backroads. Climate dry, except some rain winters.
Wrong tire size for a Fit

Old 06-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by krunk13
Wrong tire size for a Fit

205/50/16

Also wouldn't expect much cornering fun out of a 65k mile eco tire. Fine tires i'm sure for DD.

If you still want the eco tires America's Tire has them (205/50/16) for $30 less total with replacement certs (free replacement if damaged beyond repair), free lifetime rotations and balancing. They will still do repairs without the certs for free, at least they do for me, if the tire can be repaired.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
cheapo especial!

Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

These come out to $266 and change free shipping.

Then you find a local firestone and ask about the lifetime alignment/wheel balancing special (and backup by finding a few more in areas you travel to mke sure they honor it). This costs about $187 or so.

Then u find a place that can mount it for cheap without destroying the tpms. Looking to about $60-80 or so.

Total package: $533 with the added benefit of free alignments which we all need whenever we replace tires anyway.

Alot more hassle but I think its worth it. I prefer Discount Tires and I've already usedmy lifetime alignment twice and plan on using it a third time when I replace my tires going this route.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tashakitty
First, note that those 'green' tires have less cornering power than even regular tires. Toyota Prius drivers got into trouble trying to keep up with traffic on curves with that option. Its the nature of having tread compounds that are more accomodating to less energy to rotate - or develop good slip angles.
Second, always check tirerack.com, discount tiredirect.com, and others before depending too much on Costco. You can get much better tires for performance or tread life elsewhere.
I once hazd the opportunity to test a urethane tire and though it offered tread wear 10 times better than anything on the market and rotating resistance almost unmeasureable the damn things would corner at all. Worse case of understeer I ever experienced. Naturally they didn't make the marketplace. 'Green' tires aren't that bad but they aren't intended as showroom stock race tires.
PS as others say, 205/55x16 tires are completely wrong for a Fit. Their extra weight and diameter will screw your mpg and acceleration right into the ground. They might even slide easier due to less weight pressure on the ground.

Last edited by mahout; 06-03-2013 at 11:54 AM.