2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the second generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Spare tire question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
Spare tire question

Hi all,

I'm one of the lucky Fit owners without a spare tire (i.e., Canadian automatic model).

I am on the hunt for a 135/80/15 spare to replace my expired tire sealant contraption.

In addition to the spare tire and bolt/plate to hold it in, is there something else that I need? Is there a foam insert that fits onto the top of the tire as with the 2015 Fit? or does the hatch floor sit right on top of the spare tire? If so, does this provide enough support to the floor, as presumably there is no floor support over the middle of the wheel?

Old 04-07-2015, 06:44 PM
It does not come with the foam insert, but it's in similar aged Civics.

Mine came without a spare, but there's no issue with the strength of the floor. I guess if there's a spare tyre in the well then there's more filling the compartment than if there wasn't. I don't know how yours came though. Mine is just a bag of sealant equipment velcroed to the car. Pump goes in the compartment on the side, velcroed in.

I would find a scrapped Fit and get the tyre and accessories out of that. The Honda kit comes with all the stuff you need (except the actual tyre) but it's expensive, and it's probably a quarter of the price, tyre inclusive, from a breakers.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by c3kay
It does not come with the foam insert, but it's in similar aged Civics.

Mine came without a spare, but there's no issue with the strength of the floor. I guess if there's a spare tyre in the well then there's more filling the compartment than if there wasn't. I don't know how yours came though. Mine is just a bag of sealant equipment velcroed to the car. Pump goes in the compartment on the side, velcroed in.

I would find a scrapped Fit and get the tyre and accessories out of that. The Honda kit comes with all the stuff you need (except the actual tyre) but it's expensive, and it's probably a quarter of the price, tyre inclusive, from a breakers.
Thanks for the reply, mine came like this, a big piece of foam supports the floor where the spare tire would otherwise go.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hond...ml%3B800%3B600

Given that you have sealant as well, have you found a cheaper source for the sealant (other than the dealer? The sealant only has a shelf life of 3-4yrs....mine appears to have expired back in 2012...lol

Old 04-07-2015, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Hey man, how's it going.. I got the spare tire kit from Honda when I bought my car.. They just put the tire and Bolt plate.. Haven't had any problems loading anything on top.. There isn't any foam or anything.. I've brought home three small trees where the base was in the back trunk... Another time a Desk chair.. Other time A weight bench with a bunch of weights and had no problems..

Come to think of it.. I never checked if they put a scissor jack in there.. Always assumed it came with the car.. Will check tomorrow.. Since I always use my own jack to change tires... Hope it came with the car

Old 04-08-2015, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by g95pteg
Hey man, how's it going.. I got the spare tire kit from Honda when I bought my car.. They just put the tire and Bolt plate.. Haven't had any problems loading anything on top.. There isn't any foam or anything.. I've brought home three small trees where the base was in the back trunk... Another time a Desk chair.. Other time A weight bench with a bunch of weights and had no problems..

Come to think of it.. I never checked if they put a scissor jack in there.. Always assumed it came with the car.. Will check tomorrow.. Since I always use my own jack to change tires... Hope it came with the car
Ah ok, so you bought the spare tire kit, mind sharing how much it cost you?? there is a link floating around from sterling honda for $218 + tax which is a good deal but my local dealer thinks that is way too low.....what tire size did they give you? im looking for 135/80/15 as it appears 125/70/15 was also offerred with the fits, given I have the option, I'm looking to get the bigger size which is closest to the stock wheel diameter....would be useful as I'm lowered.

Based on the pics i've seen, I didnt think there was a foam piece but I just wanted to confirm, the 3rd gen fits seem to have it now.

The jack actually comes with the car irrespective of whether it came with a spare or not.... I have the Honda jack already, its wedged in there, on the side closest to the hatch.

So did you get the inflator kit as well or did the dealer keep it?

Old 04-08-2015, 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by k-man
Thanks for the reply, mine came like this, a big piece of foam supports the floor where the spare tire would otherwise go.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hond...ml%3B800%3B600

Given that you have sealant as well, have you found a cheaper source for the sealant (other than the dealer? The sealant only has a shelf life of 3-4yrs....mine appears to have expired back in 2012...lol
Yeah, I had a quick look and it says 2013. But it's JDM, so it's all in Japanese. That could even be the packing date. :P I assume it's the expiry date though.

So mine might be a little different, because I have the toolkit, including the scissor jack, and my boot floor kind of lifts up to reveal a net, and then slides back until it's in a folded horizontal position and then you get to the carpeted spare wheel well.

Here:

Fit boot - Album on Imgur

So it's all good, except for the actual wheel, which the dealer quoted me $420 for the 16" without a tyre. Hence me being on the waiting list at the scrappy hoping someone front ends their GE8 with a 16" spare.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:15 AM
5 Year Member
I had the same problem as you: canadian automatic Fit, so no spare tire.
But before I traded in my old Civic, I kept the spare tire, bolt and jack.

The spare tire from the Civic is only a 14" and it only fits on the rear axle of the Fit. Won't clear the front brakes...

For now, I'm safer with this than with the inflating kit. But I'm also looking for a 15" spare tire that would also fit in front.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:37 AM
5 Year Member
Lots of wheels and tires on Kijji. I did not know til now that the lit has an expiry date. Hmm. Can you not replace these with say something from Crappy Tire?

Old 04-08-2015, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by k-man
Ah ok, so you bought the spare tire kit, mind sharing how much it cost you?? there is a link floating around from sterling honda for $218 + tax which is a good deal but my local dealer thinks that is way too low.....what tire size did they give you? im looking for 135/80/15 as it appears 125/70/15 was also offerred with the fits, given I have the option, I'm looking to get the bigger size which is closest to the stock wheel diameter....would be useful as I'm lowered.

Based on the pics i've seen, I didnt think there was a foam piece but I just wanted to confirm, the 3rd gen fits seem to have it now.

The jack actually comes with the car irrespective of whether it came with a spare or not.... I have the Honda jack already, its wedged in there, on the side closest to the hatch.

So did you get the inflator kit as well or did the dealer keep it?
i checked my invoice.. i paid $215 + tax "installed" lol... they wanted like over 300 for it... but i got them to lower it a bit... still think its higher than it should be..

also checked the spare tire size.. its 135 80 15 .. also I do have the scissor jack.. exactly where you said it would be

I have both the inflator kit and the spare tire.. i just removed the foam piece and its sitting in my garage collecting dust? hah

i like having the compressor the inflator kit comes with.. good for airing up my tires when i switch over from summers to winters and vice versa

Old 04-08-2015, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Lots of wheels and tires on Kijji. I did not know til now that the lit has an expiry date. Hmm. Can you not replace these with say something from Crappy Tire?
checked on there, nothing that is currently the right size, at least in my area

the product is made by a german company, they do not typically sell the product in north america........what's worse is, the aftermarket product is lower end, that's why ours expires so quickly, 4 years from production vs 7 years for the "normal" product

at the end of the day, i'd rather not have to deal with messing up the tire/wheel with sealant and would like a proper spare, its annoying that we have to go through this process, Honda should have included the spare to begin with..........they seem to have learned their lesson with the 2015+ fits

Old 04-08-2015, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by g95pteg
i checked my invoice.. i paid $215 + tax "installed" lol... they wanted like over 300 for it... but i got them to lower it a bit... still think its higher than it should be..

also checked the spare tire size.. its 135 80 15 .. also I do have the scissor jack.. exactly where you said it would be

I have both the inflator kit and the spare tire.. i just removed the foam piece and its sitting in my garage collecting dust? hah

i like having the compressor the inflator kit comes with.. good for airing up my tires when i switch over from summers to winters and vice versa
thanks for the info,

i didnt realize the inflator worked without the sealant, a couple years ago i bought a little compressor to keep my tires topped up

Last edited by k-man; 04-10-2015 at 01:39 AM.