3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the third generation GK Honda Fit.

newbie needs advice on cold air intake !

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 02:14 AM
newbie needs advice on cold air intake !

hello guys, i have been poking around this forum to find a good starting point to do some mods on my 18 sports MT ...

I have NEVER moded ANY car before so i decided to start from something small (stickers has already been added to add 50+ hp )

before doing any engine work, i figured doing cold air intake would give me small boost to HP and fairly easy (i hope ..? )

my assumption is that since fit use naturally aspirated engine, cold air intake should have more effect then doing anything else (except adding turbo/supercharger... but there's non for 15+ fit models anyway)...

would anyone kinda throw me some advice to get me on the right track? I want to make sure that my thought process is at least plausible.

Thanks in advance !

Last edited by silverrose12; 06-22-2019 at 02:18 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:14 AM
5 Year Member
Check this out :
https://afepower.com/afe-power-56-70...-intake-system

I have 1 and so does another member here. I couldn't feel any difference power wise but my lufi guage is showing slight fuel trim and intake pressure difference. There is an increase in both. This leads me to deduce that there actually is an increase in airflow across the RPM range.

I am also noticing a reduction in overall fuel consumption so even if the power gains are not noticable, the fuel gains are welcomed bonus.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by JingJangJoe
Check this out :

I have 1 and so does another member here. I couldn't feel any difference power wise but my lufi guage is showing slight fuel trim and intake pressure difference. There is an increase in both. This leads me to deduce that there actually is an increase in airflow across the RPM range.

I am also noticing a reduction in overall fuel consumption so even if the power gains are not noticable, the fuel gains are welcomed bonus.

wow ! thank you for the link !

its good to see that there are companies mass producing cold air intake for fit .

i am ganna do a little bit more research before getting into it !

Old 06-22-2019, 06:36 PM
https://www.proimporttuners.com/part...AaAmWLEALw_wcB

I found a little cheapertone but this one doesn't specify any dyno testing.

Also,this one is open filter CAI. I heard threads that claims that closed filter CAI provide better cool air flow but I can find any solid data to back that up yet

Old 06-22-2019, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by silverrose12
I found a little cheapertone but this one doesn't specify any dyno testing.
Gains are minimal (5%), they mostly make it so you can hear the engine.

I heard threads that claims that closed filter CAI provide better cool air flow but I can find any solid data to back that up yet
The intake you posted is not really a "CAI" as it does not locate the filter outside the engine bay (like the fender). The Takeda says it's a CAI but it is still in the engine bay. I don't know where the line is drawn. They may have taken ambient temps inside the housing and outside and they were lower which would make it a CAI. The cooler the air the more power you can get though.

Edit: CAI may imply that it draws in cooler air. The Takeda one has a snorkal type thing that pulls air from outside the engine bay making it a CAI. Maybe that is where the term comes into play. Location is not important if it draws in cooler air.

Last edited by GolNat; 06-22-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GolNat
Gains are minimal (5%), they mostly make it so you can hear the engine.

The intake you posted is not really a "CAI" as it does not locate the filter outside the engine bay (like the fender). The Takeda says it's a CAI but it is still in the engine bay. I don't know where the line is drawn. They may have taken ambient temps inside the housing and outside and they were lower which would make it a CAI. The cooler the air the more power you can get though.

Edit: CAI may imply that it draws in cooler air. The Takeda one has a snorkal type thing that pulls air from outside the engine bay making it a CAI. Maybe that is where the term comes into play. Location is not important if it draws in cooler air.
If you say that, then the stock gk intake system is a cold air intake.

The afe one is just using that same snorkel as the stock intake.

I'm just using the stock intake with a K&n drop in filter. Along with the sumole ram scoop, it does pretty well.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
If you say that, then the stock gk intake system is a cold air intake.

The afe one is just using that same snorkel as the stock intake.

I'm just using the stock intake with a K&n drop in filter. Along with the sumole ram scoop, it does pretty well.
Did you notice any improvement or decline in fuel consumption with your current setup?

Any mods to the exhaust system?

Old 06-23-2019, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member

This is a pretty nice setup. Two thumbs up! This is the best intake I've seen for the GK5 so far.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JingJangJoe
Did you notice any improvement or decline in fuel consumption with your current setup?

Any mods to the exhaust system?
No noticeable improvement or decline. I still get about mid 40s mpg consistently. Last tank was 44, they one before that 45.

I have the hks silent hi-power axle back

Old 06-24-2019, 06:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
No noticeable improvement or decline. I still get about mid 40s mpg consistently. Last tank was 44, they one before that 45.

I have the hks silent hi-power axle back
thanks for the info

Old 06-28-2019, 01:16 PM
i am waiting for july 4th sale to kick it heh