3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the third generation GK Honda Fit.

Need test gk for rv6 exhaust testing......

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Twincammedfit
I'm on a month and a half of hard driving on my hi flow catted RV6 downpipe and not one cel light to date.
Any smell with the hi flow catt?
I m thinking maybe i shud get the hi flow cat ver ... prob quieter n not so smelly

Old 07-19-2017, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
Is anyone running the catless version with an HKS Silent Hi-Power axle back?
I'm curious if it is too loud or fairly tame. I'm planning on ordering within a few weeks but would love to hear a sound clip of this setup if anyone has it.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LeFreakyBone
I'm curious if it is too loud or fairly tame. I'm planning on ordering within a few weeks but would love to hear a sound clip of this setup if anyone has it.
It will be freaking loud. My tanabe is supposedly quieter.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hydesg
It will be freaking loud. My tanabe is supposedly quieter.
Lol well damn.
I should probably look into the catted version, which I'm sure is still a bit loud.
Or potentially switch back to stock exhaust

Old 07-19-2017, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
The only intake that is worthwhile to me is the HPS intake. I've made all of my own intakes for testing and the ones that I made that were similar to the AEM was the worst one due to heat soak. The one I made similar to Weapon R was ok but when the radiator fan came on, it sucked in hot air so that was also bad. The HPS is at least drawing cold air from the lower part of the engine bay. Your engine is a high revving engine though and it has to pull through the HPS tubing which is long and it has two 90 degree angles.

So I suggest to only get a freer flowing panel filter (A K&N perhaps). If you want to explore a little more, there is a 'splash guard' piece where the air gets sucked in, right over the front grill area. The 'splash guard' blocks the air passageway at it enters the intake. It can be modified/removed to let air come straight in.

A simple muffler change will do wonders for your car. And when I say wonders, I'm talking 5hp or so. No need for tuning and no need to change the 'B' pipe and/or the cat pipe. If you'd like to take it a step further, the Cat pipe can be replace with an RV6 pipe. I did have gains with this piece but I already had a J's Racing B pipe installed. A simple muffler replacement and panel filter will have a little bit of gains but it you may not be happy with it. I've tested all the changes on the drastrip, that's how I know they work. Otherwise, I never feel a difference really. My car is 2 seconds quicker and 10mph faster than it was stock and it still feels the same to me.

Only difference that I felt was with lighter wheels/tires.
I've notice the same as this. The intake and exhaust that i have on only seem to be faster at 75% throttle to 100%, while my 13lb rims seem to be at all throttle response. I was looking at lightweight pulley and was wondering if your pulley felt the same as your rims.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by action213
Installed the rv6 cat version today and def noticed a sound difference, lot louder glad I went with the cat version. Too early to tell a difference on power. I really hope to get to the dyno soon
do you use an aftermarket catback exhaust or the stock exhaust?
i am thinking of ordering another catted version.

also do you smell the exhaust with the catted version?
and do you know what is the cell count of the catted version?

hope im not asking too much questions hahaha

Old 07-25-2017, 06:12 AM
5 Year Member
So I ordered one of these, without the cat, and I started asking around for dyno prices. First shop said $125 per hour even after I said no tuning needed- the only time I've ever had a car on a dyno was lumped into a supercharger install with a full map done, so I don't know what it should cost for just a before/after run. Does it seem kind of steep to anyone else? Second shop hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BrucesFit
I've notice the same as this. The intake and exhaust that i have on only seem to be faster at 75% throttle to 100%, while my 13lb rims seem to be at all throttle response. I was looking at lightweight pulley and was wondering if your pulley felt the same as your rims.
which pulley for GK5 are you refering too

Old 07-31-2017, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TougeMonster_GK5
which pulley for GK5 are you refering too
NST pulley probably.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
Spent five hours installing a catless model yesterday, way too much of that time was trying to get one frozen nut off. Ended up having to cut it with a dremel.

Anyone else notice kind of a resonant buzzing noise around 3k rpm? I suspect I didn't tighten the heat shield down enough, was in a hurry to get back inside before the wife reached maximum grumpiness, but then I watched the video on Twincammedfit's install thread, and seemed like the same kind of buzzing.

Either way, very happy with it. Wish I could have done some before/after dyno testing, but the local shops I contacted wanted minimum $125. Don't think it's worth it to spend a third the price of the part just for information.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hasdrubal
Spent five hours installing a catless model yesterday, way too much of that time was trying to get one frozen nut off. Ended up having to cut it with a dremel.

Anyone else notice kind of a resonant buzzing noise around 3k rpm? I suspect I didn't tighten the heat shield down enough, was in a hurry to get back inside before the wife reached maximum grumpiness, but then I watched the video on Twincammedfit's install thread, and seemed like the same kind of buzzing.

Either way, very happy with it. Wish I could have done some before/after dyno testing, but the local shops I contacted wanted minimum $125. Don't think it's worth it to spend a third the price of the part just for information.
Hey was wondering what your thoughts were with the catless dp. Do you already have upgraded exhaust? I just put in an order for the catless that will go with my HKS cool style exhaust. Its been 2 weeks since swapped out the HKS silent hi power and miss ghe louder tone. Hopefully the catless DP makes the Cool Style exaust sound mean!

I plan on doing dyno before (with current mods) and after ( with custom airscoop).

Old 08-09-2017, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LeFreakyBone
I have both HKS exhausts, but plan on pairing the hi-power with the catless DP sometime in the near future. Have you purhased and installed yet?

Old 08-09-2017, 04:05 AM
5 Year Member
Not really sure yet, I went back under the car and tightened everything down, and the sound is still there. After a week of driving, I think it's just a raspy note. Thinking about trying to get a custom mid pipe made with an extra resonator or something, and with a diameter that matches the RV6 unit better.

Still running stock exhaust, so far the Tanabe sounds best to me but kind of expensive and I think it's the loudest common aftermarket. Going to wait for a while, my Koni orange shocks arrived today, and the springs maybe tomorrow. Can't do it all at once.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably still go with the catless version, though. Can't stand the idea of paying my own money for a flow restriction, and as inaccurate as the butt dyno is, I believe there was a significant power gain.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
Can anyone speak on the smell/fumes with catless version? I just received mine and now thinking twice about installing since my family normally rides in this car. Ive read on 9thgencivic forum that the smell is very evident at stops, others also say NOT WIFEY Approved! Need to know before i install, thanks everyone im advance!

Old 08-22-2017, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
Can anyone speak on the smell/fumes with catless version? I just received mine and now thinking twice about installing since my family normally rides in this car. Ive read on 9thgencivic forum that the smell is very evident at stops, others also say NOT WIFEY Approved! Need to know before i install, thanks everyone im advance!
Yep! You can smell the fumes.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
I can't smell anything, but my nose isn't the best in the world.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
i had the catless version, drove for a week, hated the smell and the drone simply just kills hahaha (stepping on the throttle was like unleashing a banshee). I had removed it after a week and sold it to a champion racer.

the catted version is incoming, which i will install again, and i hope its a happy medium.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
i had the catless version, drove for a week, hated the smell and the drone simply just kills hahaha (stepping on the throttle was like unleashing a banshee). I had removed it after a week and sold it to a champion racer.

the catted version is incoming, which i will install again, and i hope its a happy medium.
The catless version wish a decent sized muffler is tolerable for me. Using it with a say....50R J's Racing muffler was too much. Felt like the sound was going through my body and soul every time I floored it. And not in a good way. I keep the car in recirc mode when the Misses is riding so she can't smell it. On highways it's fine. It's when you come to a stop that the smell can some seeping in. Either way, not cool. I wouldn't recommend this.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
The catless version wish a decent sized muffler is tolerable for me. Using it with a say....50R J's Racing muffler was too much. Felt like the sound was going through my body and soul every time I floored it. And not in a good way. I keep the car in recirc mode when the Misses is riding so she can't smell it. On highways it's fine. It's when you come to a stop that the smell can some seeping in. Either way, not cool. I wouldn't recommend this.
Totally agree. Unless u plan on using the stock exhaust haha

Old 08-23-2017, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
Totally agree. Unless u plan on using the stock exhaust haha
As quiet and stock sounding my current HKS Cool Style Exhaust is, i actually think it might work! Only one way to find out right? On a side note, I wonder how many other GK5 owners stateside are currently rocking the same exhaust:

Quick Reply: Need test gk for rv6 exhaust testing......