3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the third generation GK Honda Fit.

Need test gk for rv6 exhaust testing......

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hydesg
Do u think i should change back stock muffler?
Yes!

Would stock be more restrictive? I suppose stock would make it quieter.
Yes it will! It will be more restrictive and make it quieter too.

Its either i change back stock muffler or take out the pipe
what do u think i should do ?
If it is either or, I think you should take out the pipe. You seem like you were more happier with it.
If you were willing to put back on your stock muffler, see if you like if that sounds better. If so, you could always put on a quieter muffler that is not as restrictive as stock. That's what I did. I went with the biggest muffler I could fit under there that I could see through from one end to the other. That way I know it's going to muffle and not be restrictive. It's both quieter than my J's Racing 50R but flows just as well (I tested both at the track one after the other).

Old 07-09-2017, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
Haven't been under the car much yet, since I haven't started ordering parts- is the exhaust pipe leading to the stock muffler a different width than the RV6 pipe? If it's the same or close, then replacing just the muffler becomes an attractive option. If it's a lot narrower than the RV6 pipe, or than an aftermarket exhaust, maybe not worth it.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
This is the stock next to the tanabe. What do you guys think?

Old 07-09-2017, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hasdrubal
Haven't been under the car much yet, since I haven't started ordering parts- is the exhaust pipe leading to the stock muffler a different width than the RV6 pipe? If it's the same or close, then replacing just the muffler becomes an attractive option. If it's a lot narrower than the RV6 pipe, or than an aftermarket exhaust, maybe not worth it.
The tanabe muffler is 2inch in diameter to the mid pipe. Any idea whats the diameter of the pipe for stock?

Old 07-09-2017, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
The tanabe muffler is 2inch in diameter to the mid pipe. Any idea whats the diameter of the pipe for stock?[/IMG]
1.75"

I know because I measured it. Stock muffler size!

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 07-09-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hasdrubal
It is narrower. Here are the dimensions I measured of your 'B-pipe'.

Outer Diameter
Pipe after 2nd cat -- 45mm (1.77")
90 degree bend
Pipe leading towards the resonator -- 45mm (1.77")
Bend towards resonator
Inlet piping to resonator -- 44.5mm (1.75")
Resonator
Resonator outlet pipe that has slight bend -- 40mm (1.57")
Piping after slight bend that goes to muffler -- 41.44mm (1.63")

From here --> Stock B-Pipe Diameter

Old 07-09-2017, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, Myxalplyx you totally rock today. thanks!
by the way, in your opinion which one nets the most gains? all else stock.
Am hoping that I dont waste money on the rv6 though (as in dont need to take it out). I cant change out the current tanabe though as it would be illegal here (you need approval from the authority before you can change out your muffler).

1) rv6 catless downpipe + stock muffler

or

2) stock downpipe + catback exhaust

Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
1.75"

I know because I measured it. Stock muffler size!

Old 07-10-2017, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
Been drivin a while. The rv6 must stay!
Must say i feel quite a bit of improvement

Old 07-10-2017, 10:25 PM
Can anyone comment if there are any gains to be had going with 2" piping from downpipe to muffler.

Anyone know what size piping the performance midpipes by spoon or j racing are?

Old 07-10-2017, 10:26 PM
Been drivin a while. The rv6 must stay!
Must say i feel quite a bit of improvement

Looks and sounds like a Winner! Nice setup!

Old 07-13-2017, 07:08 PM
Installed the rv6 cat version today and def noticed a sound difference, lot louder glad I went with the cat version. Too early to tell a difference on power. I really hope to get to the dyno soon

Old 07-15-2017, 11:37 AM
Anyone have a cel light pop on after driving with new downpipe? I had a p0420 pop up about 100 miles in, cleared it today at my shop and will keep an eye over weekend? just curious if anyone has had this happen?

Old 07-16-2017, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by action213
Anyone have a cel light pop on after driving with new downpipe? I had a p0420 pop up about 100 miles in, cleared it today at my shop and will keep an eye over weekend? just curious if anyone has had this happen?
No issues with mne catless tho.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:46 PM
No issues with mne catless tho.
I'm on a month and a half of hard driving on my hi flow catted RV6 downpipe and not one cel light to date.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by action213

Yes! Mine popped up twice, randomly. Both times it went out the next time I drove it. Been driving many months with it and no CEL though. Forgot what it was though but something cat related.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NiteFlight
Can anyone comment if there are any gains to be had going with 2" piping from downpipe to muffler.

Anyone know what size piping the performance midpipes by spoon or j racing are?

I honestly can't say if there was a gain or not with the 'B' pipe by itself. I'll have to look through my timeslips but something tells me it wasn't noticable. I did get a faster 1/4 mile time with the muffler by itself. And again with the RV6 catless pipe.

This size of both Spoon and J's racing midpipe (B-pipe) is 2". If you want more specifics, here's what I measured with the J's Racing B-pipe.
Outer Diameters
Inlet Piping diameter -- 46.6mm I.D. (1.83")
Pipe after 2nd cat -- 49.5mm (1.95")
90 degree bend
Pipe leading towards the resonator -- 49.86mm (1.96")
Bend towards resonator
Inlet piping to resonator -- 49mm (1.93")
Resonator
Resonator outlet pipe that has slight bend -- 50.66mm (1.99")
Piping after slight bend that goes to muffler -- 50.4mm (1.98")
Piping outlet to muffler -- 41.9mm I.D. (1.65")

The J's Racing B-Pipe weighed in at 12.2lbs. (5.53kg)
The stock B-pipe weighs 10.4lbs (4.72kg)
The J's Racing B-pipe weighs 1.8lbs (0.82kg) more than the stock pipe.

From here ~~> J's Racing GK5 B-Pipe or Mid Pipe

hasdrubal had already asked this same question above. I am replying with color to see if that helps.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the info, thinking I'll stick with the stock mid pipe for now, and base a muffler decision on what the RV6 catless sounds like.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:25 AM
@Myxalplyx - thanks for reposting, and for the link. Your experience and knowledge has benefited us newbies. What intake do you recommend to complete an ideal setup? Have you done any tuning with this exhaust setup which have improved gains?

Old 07-18-2017, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
@Myxalplyx - thanks for reposting, and for the link. Your experience and knowledge has benefited us newbies. What intake do you recommend to complete an ideal setup?
The only intake that is worthwhile to me is the HPS intake. I've made all of my own intakes for testing and the ones that I made that were similar to the AEM was the worst one due to heat soak. The one I made similar to Weapon R was ok but when the radiator fan came on, it sucked in hot air so that was also bad. The HPS is at least drawing cold air from the lower part of the engine bay. Your engine is a high revving engine though and it has to pull through the HPS tubing which is long and it has two 90 degree angles.

So I suggest to only get a freer flowing panel filter (A K&N perhaps). If you want to explore a little more, there is a 'splash guard' piece where the air gets sucked in, right over the front grill area. The 'splash guard' blocks the air passageway at it enters the intake. It can be modified/removed to let air come straight in.

Have you done any tuning with this exhaust setup which have improved gains?
A simple muffler change will do wonders for your car. And when I say wonders, I'm talking 5hp or so. No need for tuning and no need to change the 'B' pipe and/or the cat pipe. If you'd like to take it a step further, the Cat pipe can be replace with an RV6 pipe. I did have gains with this piece but I already had a J's Racing B pipe installed. A simple muffler replacement and panel filter will have a little bit of gains but it you may not be happy with it. I've tested all the changes on the drastrip, that's how I know they work. Otherwise, I never feel a difference really. My car is 2 seconds quicker and 10mph faster than it was stock and it still feels the same to me.

Only difference that I felt was with lighter wheels/tires.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 07-18-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:12 AM
@Myxalplyx - Thanks for the recommendation. You surely have saved many of us "cost conscious" car enthusiasts some cash for other mods. Although a throatier exhaust note and a "whomp-whomp" intake brings few of us back to the feeling, "more sound has gotta equal more hp". Cheers!

Quick Reply: Need test gk for rv6 exhaust testing......