3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 3rd Gen GK Honda Fit

Front Bumper Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 04:48 PM
Front Bumper Upgrade

Just got the notice from Honda about the front bumper upgrade. Has anyone had this done, and, if so, did the dealer put the front bumper back together so that it looks the same as before the upgrade? I'd like to have this done, but I worry about the dealer removing the front bumper and then re-aattaching it so that all the seams fit as they should.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
front bumper? details?

Old 09-27-2014, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cloud11244
Just got the notice from Honda about the front bumper upgrade. Has anyone had this done, and, if so, did the dealer put the front bumper back together so that it looks the same as before the upgrade? I'd like to have this done, but I worry about the dealer removing the front bumper and then re-aattaching it so that all the seams fit as they should.
I am going to follow your thread so I can see how this issue is being handled. I checked and I have not received a notice as of today.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by rodney
front bumper? details?
This was the mod that Honda did to improve the safety rating of the car after the first was not acceptable. After the test they modified all further production cars. I think cars built into june sometime did not have toe modification so only those people will most likely get the notice. Mine should be in the update as it was built in March. Important to note that this is not a required update or a recall. It is owner preference to complete.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:13 PM
I got the letter today as well. In fact I got the letter for front bumper modification as well as a separate letter for A-pillar plastic replacement. I do know that the factory added some spot welds to strengthen the front bumper in offset crash, but for some reason I am hesitant to let the dealer do those spot welds, unless they change to a whole new bumper from the factory.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:13 PM
Sigh.... The bumper cover (plastic part painted body color) is not being replaced. It is the bumper reinforcement under the cover. Dealer will not be welding anything on your car. Part that is being installed will have more welds on them to make it stronger.
Had it done today on wife's silver Fit and it was a relatively easy repair. No visible signs after completion and everything went back together like new....

Old 09-27-2014, 08:39 PM
I have not received the letter yet for mine. I suppose it should arrive any time now.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:27 PM
To answer the OP's question, taking the bumper cover off and reattaching it will not alter the appearance of the car in the slightest. The cover is designed to be (fairly) easily removable; it's basically just a plastic trim piece, sort of like the interior door panels or the various parts dashboard trim pieces.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 15BlkPrl
Sigh.... The bumper cover (plastic part painted body color) is not being replaced. It is the bumper reinforcement under the cover. Dealer will not be welding anything on your car. Part that is being installed will have more welds on them to make it stronger.
Had it done today on wife's silver Fit and it was a relatively easy repair. No visible signs after completion and everything went back together like new....
So your black Fit did not get the replacement, just your Silver car? Is there a large difference between your two VIN numbers? I seem to remember you saying you purchased them just a week or so apart. Is the manufacture date close? Nothing in my mailbox yet...

Old 09-29-2014, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
Years ago (when I was your age, and had to walk 5 miles to school every day), if someone told you they were taking your front bumper off, it was a big deal. Now, they take off a lightweight, flexible, plastic cover, held on by clips, to expose the entire front end of your car.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:32 PM
m_x
Can somebody who has received a notice from Honda in the mail also consult the Honda Owner's Recall Site (linked here) to see if your car is flagged there also? You can type in your VIN and it will tell you if any recalls have been issued for your vehicle.

I just want to establish whether or not that site is an accurate resource for that info.

My car (#12080, built 6/2014) says "There are currently no recalls issued for this vehicle." As I am right on the cusp of the bumper issue (JUST over 12,000 and RIGHT in the "June" cutoff window) I think I can be a good indicator for curious Fit owners who are wondering about their own bumpers. Of course that logic doesn't apply if the recall site isn't accurate.

Appreciate any insight!

Last edited by m_x; 09-29-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanguard
Years ago (when I was your age, and had to walk 5 miles to school every day), if someone told you they were taking your front bumper off, it was a big deal. Now, they take off a lightweight, flexible, plastic cover, held on by clips, to expose the entire front end of your car.
That's how it has been for the last three decades.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Vanguard
Hmmm... I also walked 5 miles to school each day, in the snow. Uphill both ways. Gotcha beat!

Last edited by Stingray; 09-29-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
That's how it has been for the last three decades.
That should tell you something about my age.....either that or I deal in nothing but classic cars (I like that explanation better)

Old 09-29-2014, 01:28 PM
post up picture the notice..

Old 09-29-2014, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by m_x
Can somebody who has received a notice from Honda in the mail also consult the Honda Owner's Recall Site (linked here) to see if your car is flagged there also? You can type in your VIN and it will tell you if any recalls have been issued for your vehicle.

I just want to establish whether or not that site is an accurate resource for that info.

My car (#12080, built 6/2014) says "There are currently no recalls issued for this vehicle." As I am right on the cusp of the bumper issue (JUST over 12,000 and RIGHT in the "June" cutoff window) I think I can be a good indicator for curious Fit owners who are wondering about their own bumpers. Of course that logic doesn't apply if the recall site isn't accurate.

Appreciate any insight!
It is not a "recall", it is a "Product Update." So it will not show up on the recall site. I got the notice in the mail. I checked the recall site, and it said there were currently no recalls for my Fit. You can find out if the update was done to your car by calling Honda Customer Care. Prior to getting the notice in the mail, I called them, and they said the update was not done to my Fit.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:46 PM
m_x
Originally Posted by cloud11244
It is not a "recall", it is a "Product Update."
Ahhh... You've got to love legal semantics. It sounds like Honda is seeking to "degrade and ultimately destroy" these faulty bumpers.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Got mine today. I'm pretty busy for the next two weeks, so I'll schedule for after that. I'll keep you all posted.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:10 PM
I got my notice today and called dealer. They are going to get the part on order and call me when they receive it to schedule install.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:21 PM
Just got mine today...will call the soon..will update....

Quick Reply: Front Bumper Upgrade