3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 3rd Gen GK Honda Fit

Shark Fin Antenna - Inside

Old 09-28-2014, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
Shark Fin Antenna - Inside

In case you're wondering what's inside the Visual Garage shark fin antenna, here's a picture. The plastic bag contains two screws. The Fit uses the thinner one. The coiled black wire to the left attaches to the Fit antenna base with that silver screw. You can see the gold antenna attached to the inside. Remove the paper covering around the edge, and you find sticky foam for attaching it to the roof.

The directions give details about how to install it by marking the position with masking tape. I just eyeballed it, and it turned out fine. This one is black on the outside.

Name:  fJJ9tex.jpg
Views: 1870
Size:  1.04 MB

Old 09-28-2014, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
The purpose of the antenna is to receive radio signals.

Does the Shark fin perform Better / Worse than the stock antenna?

Old 09-28-2014, 06:44 PM
After having the shark antenna for a few weeks now, I noticed in some instances under a bridge or at a certain point under a street lamp, stop light, etc... My radio would have more static than with the oem antenna. Enough that my passengers would notice too. Only certain instances but since my commute route is the same, it only happens when I'm at those same locations so there's certainly some interference that wasn't there with stock antenna. However, its minor issue to me since I listen to Pandora or iPod more than my radio.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
noripwr- thanks for the photo of the inside-- I already installed mine and had forgotten how it looked. I have not noticed a difference in reception--I used to get some static/interference on the original antenna when driving by the local university and other places that use a lot of electrical equipment before-- On the open road, reception seems about the same--but will need to pay closer attention in other situations.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:11 PM
I believe that most factory shark-fin antennas come with a pre-amplifier.

Car Antenna Radio FM AM Signal Amplifier Booster 12V - Newegg.com

It's pretty difficult for that little zig-zag of an antenna to catch much signal, particularly in close proximity to the sheet metal. It should work fine if there is a strong signal, but in the fringe you might be wishing for the stock stick or better, like a full 1/4 wave whip.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by sooznd
noripwr- thanks for the photo of the inside-- I already installed mine and had forgotten how it looked. I have not noticed a difference in reception--I used to get some static/interference on the original antenna when driving by the local university and other places that use a lot of electrical equipment before-- On the open road, reception seems about the same--but will need to pay closer attention in other situations.
I didn't put up the picture BTW, that thanks goes to silverex. But yea, your mileage may vary. Some people get better, some the same, and some worse reception.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dave92029
The purpose of the antenna is to receive radio signals.

Does the Shark fin perform Better / Worse than the stock antenna?
I can't see (hear) any difference.