3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 3rd Gen GK Honda Fit

hood air deflector

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 03:00 PM
hood air deflector

I'm looking for a hood air deflector for my Honda Fit 2015. Honda doesn't make them I was told, but can I buy one on Amazon?

What are the advantages of these anyway?

Old 05-29-2015, 04:26 PM
You don't know what it does and you still want one?

It's primary purpose is to put dollars into the pockets of the aftermarket industry.

On the car, it protects the leading edge of the hood from rock impact. The makers claim that it also protects the rest of the hood and windshield also, but they fail to explain how a slight deflection in airflow can deflect a pebble. Pebbles aren't feather-light.

The deflector also detaches the airflow from the front of the car, creating a turbulent region and increased drag. Figure you'll lose a MPG or two.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Haha, not trying to be a smartass.. but really.. why are you looking for one when you don't even know why you want it?

Hood deflectors really don't work that well. Depending on the slope / curvature of the hood (ex - if it's really flat), it could offer some advantage. But that's not the case with the Fits at all.

If you're very worried about rock chips, pony up the money and get a paint protecting sealant. I'm not talking just a "synthetic wax" that you put on yourself that gets called a sealant, I mean an actual several-mm thick, clear polyurethane "clear bra" type of film. Such as The Original Clearbra or 3M's ScotchGuard.

I don't recommend doing those yourself, because if you're not a pro, or your paint isn't completely clean and immaculate, you'll just trap dirt or scratches in with the seal.

The good ones as above will be invisible, won't yellow, and will probably outlast your car. Regular hood deflectors don't work and look cheap, and those black bumper guard looking things probably do more damage than they prevent because they can slide around.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:57 AM
I thought it was called a "Bug Deflector" and the idea being like with big trucks to keep bugs from hitting your windshield. That being said it would definitely decrease your MPG because the car is now less aerodynamic.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:38 AM
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
I thought it was called a "Bug Deflector" and the idea being like with big trucks to keep bugs from hitting your windshield. That being said it would definitely decrease your MPG because the car is now less aerodynamic.
You are correct, it actually may be called either a hood deflector or bug deflector. Additionally, wind deflectors are the plastic pieces that go at the top of your windows and also at the leading edge of sunroofs.

Last edited by GoBucky; 06-05-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by GoBucky
You are correct, it actually may be called either a hood deflector or bug deflector. Additionally, wind deflectors are the plastic pieces that go at the top of your windows and also at the leading edge of sunroofs.
I call those window things "smoker vents"

Old 06-12-2015, 01:04 AM
From what is see Honda does makes these
Air Deflector - 08P47-T5A-300 - College Hills Honda

Part # 08P47-T5A-300