3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

Lane Watch camera alignment

Old 08-24-2014, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation Lane Watch camera alignment

My geeky son and I were poking around in the diagnostics menu on our new Fit. We learned (the hard way) that the Lane Watch camera will quit working if you enter into the alignment mode. DON'T DO IT. If your curiosity takes you down this path, the camera will no longer show you what's behind you; it will begin to display a red screen telling you it must be aligned. One might assume that this could be done fairly easily, one way or another. This would be a bad assumption. The alignment procedure requires a special target image (six large dots on a white background surrounded by a thick border--all black on white) and some very tedious measuring. I found instruction on how to align the camera on the Accord and Odyssey and used those to get mine going again (after about an hour of messing around with target placement and lighting). Needless to say, my camera is now "unaligned." The image looks fine, nice and clear and centered approximately where it had been, but the lines showing distance appear to be incorrect. I wonder, in fact, if the alignment isn't entirely about setting up those marker lines, rather than aligning the video image. Getting the lines correct will require measurement specifications that are not yet available online (as near as I can tell).
Fortunately, we were able to restrain our curiosity about aligning the backup camera and a few other features. My advice: stay out of the settings in the diagnostics menu. In fact, probably best to stay out of the diagnostics menu altogether. So I'm not going to tell you what the super secret key combination is to get into this mode, but if your way too curious, you will doubtless find it elsewhere in the forums.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Good advice. You should probably take it in and have it realigned and if they charge you, lick your wounds and consider it lesson learned.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
I really think it's only the distance lines that are now out of calibration, and since I did not use or even intuitively grasp their meaning before, I'd be reluctant to pay to have them calibrated. Maybe down the road. I'd be more interested in going through the procedure myself to get them corrected. Maybe some day someone will post the procedure from the service manual. Until then, the camera still gives me all the visual info I need to see what's in my blind spot and coming up behind me. It's not fair for me to try to get the dealer to correct it for free, even if is it tempting to try.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
Checked with the dealer about cost for re-aligning my Lane Watch camera. He said the shop had never had to do the procedure. He said that the shop had received the target and other tools for doing the alignment but stowed them away since they had never had an occasion to use them. He had no idea how much it would cost to re-align. Sigh.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:31 PM
I am getting the message "AIMING IS NOT COMPLETE" I would like to access the diagnostic menu to see if a least the video will show. I've done some research and tried different methods but none has worked. I will take it back to have it aimed but can someone shed some light as to how we can enter the diagnostics menu?

Old 09-26-2014, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
Lanewatch

Originally Posted by Iam4fitness
I am getting the message "AIMING IS NOT COMPLETE" I would like to access the diagnostic menu to see if a least the video will show. I've done some research and tried different methods but none has worked. I will take it back to have it aimed but can someone shed some light as to how we can enter the diagnostics menu?
Hold down eject, audio power and the screen button "main menu" simultaneously for a few seconds and the diagnostics menu will appear. The camera alignment menu is in a submenu; I don't recall which (I think it is the lower left button). You will have no success aligning the camera without a reasonable facsimile of the six-dot target image mentioned at few sites online. Even when you have the right image, you will need to play around with the placement of the target image. And you will need to find a location to do this where there are no background reflections or strong contrastive elements. It took me over an hour of experimentation to get it to work. It did work, however, so keep trying. Please understand that when you do finally get it to work, the alignment will only be approximate. To do it right, you need some very precise dimensions for target placement.
On the other hand, if you did nothing to cause the problem, you have every right to take it to the dealer to have the problem fixed. You don't want to do this on your own unless you have to.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:24 AM
Thank you so much Brian! I was able to get a decent aim on it after a few attempts. I'm afraid the people at the dealer have no idea how to aim it but I will be there on friday so lets see what happens.

Last edited by Iam4fitness; 10-01-2014 at 09:26 AM.