3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

Changed my stock shift knob

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 09:42 PM
Changed my stock shift knob

I've been driving manual for a long time and never kept the stock shift knobs. I've had a red Momo Combat knob for about 15 years (transfering it from car to car) until the leather on it was starting to peel. When I got my new blue Fit, I knew the stock knob had to go (It's a really good one though). I bought one of the last of the original Momo Combat knobs in blue direct from a seller from Italy.

It's almost the same color as the car in aegean blue so it looks great. It's taller than the Honda knob so it raises the shifter somewhat. I'm not sure I like that aspect of it but the feel is better to me than any ball type shifter I have ever used. The only other I would consider is the Type R shifter from TWM.

Name:  momo_zpspawysw6e.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  88.2 KB

Old 05-14-2015, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
This is a nice addition! It looks like it sits pretty well against the boot. Did you have to remove the center console and adjust the height or does it just naturally fit snug up against it?

Also, how exactly did you go about removing the stock knob? I've read some other posts about it but for some reason it's just not clicking. I attempted to remove mine the other day, but it didn't seem to want to budge.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by blinduvula
This is a nice addition! It looks like it sits pretty well against the boot. Did you have to remove the center console and adjust the height or does it just naturally fit snug up against it?

Also, how exactly did you go about removing the stock knob? I've read some other posts about it but for some reason it's just not clicking. I attempted to remove mine the other day, but it didn't seem to want to budge.
I'm not sure what you mean by adjusting the height. The only way I could adjust it is by buying a short shifter kit. Then yes, I'd have to remove the center console. The fit is good because the Momo's are hollow right up to the top third part so you basically push it in the shaft as far as it will go and there are 3 retaining hex screws (covered here by the black Momo ring) that hold the knob tightly against the shaft. There is a rubber piece that goes inside the knob before the hex screws are tightened and this makes sure that the screws will never seize on the shaft.

I have to say that the original Honda knob did not move on mine either initially. The silver ring is permanently stuck to the boot material. You have to hold the silver ring tightly and twist the knob counter clockwise. At first, the boot was twisting also but after straightening the boot a few times, the knob finally came free. The knob has 2 plastic retainers on it that prevent it from being taken off easily. I have no idea why Honda did this. Perhaps it's to make sure the knob never accidentally gets unscrewed. I'll try to post a photo of the original knob with its plastic clips as soon as possible.

I wonder what it would look like if I just took off the Momo black ring and let the silver ring come up against the knob and covering the screws. Might be worth a try. I think it looks good as is but like I mentioned, the shifter is now somewhat higher up which took some getting used to. The Honda knob is really minuscule so it sits really low.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:20 PM
By the way, the Momo Combat knobs are available in red and yellow as well. They look slightly different now than the one you see here which is the old style. For those who have black, white or charcoal colored cars, the knob can also be had in graphite and silver I believe.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for your reply! By height I was talking about the silver ring attached to the boot cover. I've seen some of the ball knobs leave a space between the silver ring and the knob so I wasn't sure if you had to take off the center console and adjust the height of the silver ring to get it to match up with your knob or if it just naturally fit that well.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by blinduvula
Thanks for your reply! By height I was talking about the silver ring attached to the boot cover. I've seen some of the ball knobs leave a space between the silver ring and the knob so I wasn't sure if you had to take off the center console and adjust the height of the silver ring to get it to match up with your knob or if it just naturally fit that well.
This would probably be a problem with cars that have a higher shaft. This was the case with my older ride and the same shift knob. There was a gap of about an inch between the boot and the knob. It wasn't pretty but I got used to it. The Honda shaft is low so once the knob is pushed in or screwed, it sits on the silver ring as the stock knob, no gap.

Also, the silver ring is an integral part of the boot itself. As far as I could see, it could not be removed from the boot without damage. The height of the boot can't be changed.