3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

Interior Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
Interior Removal

I want to remove as much of the interior as I can to install Dynamat soundproofing. I'd like to remove front and rear seats, door panels, and carpet. Since there is no shop manual available, this would be hit and miss. If any of you have done this, I'd appreciate learning how you did it. For example, how is the rear seat retainer attached to the floor?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:26 AM
I have not had my Fit long enough to do any major work like this. However if you want to take any pictures or post a bit as you go, I certainly dislike the above average noise level when traveling at highway speeds, and would consider doing something about it. If it is not a tremendous pain in the a$$ that is.

Good luck!

Old 07-16-2015, 11:35 AM
4 bolts a piece for the front seats. Back Seats bolts obviously and are clearly visible. Trim pieces are all clipped in with a few screws. I dont like the road noise either. Its a lot of work but the result im positive would be favorable. I doubt if I would go to this length to fix road noise as it isn't terrible, but could be better in my eyes. I suppose if I was 100% in keeping my 2015 and drive it into the ground I'd do what you are suggesting, simply because I would have run out of projects to do on the car haha!

Old 07-16-2015, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks. I've removed - at least loosened - the carpet from the rear to the front seats. The rear seats were easy enough to remove - but heavy and awkward to move and carry. I'll put down the soundproofing without entirely removing the carpet. When I finish a trip today, I'll remove the front seats.

Any tips for the door panels? I haven't looked at them, yet.

I'm taking pictures as I go, and I'll post them when I'm finished.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by SilverEX15

Any tips for the door panels? I haven't looked at them, yet.
There are two screws, one on the door opener handle, and one when you lift and remove the control button panel, both Phillips. After you do that then using a trim removal tool, you can release the clips located on the outer edges of the door skins. Check out my heated side mirror series of videos to get an idea of what the door looks like removed of its skin. As always I'm available for questions and real world busted knuckles experience with the GK

Old 07-16-2015, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
There are two screws, one on the door opener handle, and one when you lift and remove the control button panel, both Phillips. After you do that then using a trim removal tool, you can release the clips located on the outer edges of the door skins. Check out my heated side mirror series of videos to get an idea of what the door looks like removed of its skin. As always I'm available for questions and real world busted knuckles experience with the GK
Thanks. I removed a front and rear panels without any trouble. I have plumbing problems to deal with in the house, so this might take longer than I had expected.

Did you replace the speakers? I have four Polk DB651 speakers I'd like to install. The stock speaker plug won't work, so I'll have to cut the Fit wires and attach them to the new speakers. I'm guessing red is positive on the Fit speaker wires.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:43 PM
I have not replace the speakers know the only thing I am contemplating in doing is adding a subwoofer where I can make it removable when I need the cargo space. I think eventually I will do this but I don't want to spend a terrible amount of money on upgrading the stereo it's not a high priority for me at least right now.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
I have not replace the speakers know the only thing I am contemplating in doing is adding a subwoofer where I can make it removable when I need the cargo space. I think eventually I will do this but I don't want to spend a terrible amount of money on upgrading the stereo it's not a high priority for me at least right now.
I bought these speakers in 2010 for another car but never installed them. I'm hoping I can get an adapter plate and wiring adapter from Crutchfield. It would make installation easier and cleaner.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
I called Crutchfield, and they are sending me adapters and wiring to install the POlks into the Fit. However, he said that it looks like the Polks protrude too far for the door panels to go back on. They have shallow DB651 speakers that will fit there, but looking on their site, they say that the regular Polk DB651's will fit the Fit. Time will tell.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
I started removing interior pieces and installing the Dynamat sound deadening material on Friday, and I'm still at it. I have to do everything on my knees, and it's over 90° today, so I work a bit, rest a bit, work a bit.

The wiring to the seats doesn't come off easily, so I'm leaving the wires attached, and I gently move the seat around while I put the Dynamat under the carpet. I want to get the driver's seat attached so I can drive it tomorrow morning. Except for the hatch, I finished everything up to the front seats and driver's door. Tomorrow I'll finish the passenger's side, remove the console, and then remove the trim on the hatch and put Dynamat under that. On Tuesday, I should get a package from Crutchfield with the pieces I need to attach the speakers.

I'll post pictures when I get it finished.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
Update on my Dynamat and speaker installation. The Dynamat is finally finished. I worked on it, on and off, for four days.

As for the speakers: worst-installation-ever! I got plastic adapters and wiring from Crutchfield, and neither one was acceptable. The clip-on connectors would not stay on the speaker terminals, so I cut them off and soldered the wires to the speaker terminals.

The plastic speaker adapters snap into two lower holes in the door, just like the original Honda speakers. The problem is that the top mounting hole is too high, so the single mounting screw doesn't meet the fitting on the door. The only thing I could do was file the rectangular slots in the door and make them larger. That let the adapter ring fit, but when I attached the speaker to that ring, the terminal plate on the rear of the speaker came into contact with the door, so I couldn't insert it fully. On top of that, the single long screw that holds the speaker to the door (at the top of the speaker) did not like the raised edge of the speaker's metal mounting plate, so I had to get the Vice Grips and break a piece off. After all that wasted time, I won't be using those adapter plates.

The end result is that I will have to modify the plates that came with the Polk DB651 speakers and drill holes in the car door to mount them. Drilling and filing are two things I wanted to avoid. I have been installing radios and speakers - mainly from Crutchfield - since 1980, and this is my worst installation ever.

More to follow.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
I am working on sound deadening the car as well. I hate that black glue that holes the plastic to the door.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Sqeclipse
I am working on sound deadening the car as well. I hate that black glue that holes the plastic to the door.
by far the worst stuff I’ve dealt with and I take cars apart for a living.

Old 04-11-2022, 10:57 PM
Updates?

How did it come out? I'm about to pull mine apart and silence it. Things you felt made a difference and things you didn't?

Old 04-12-2022, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jonesym33
How did it come out? I'm about to pull mine apart and silence it. Things you felt made a difference and things you didn't?
One thing surprised me. My 2015 - with lots of sound deadening - isn't much quieter (if at all) than my son's 2020 Fit. It's a lot quieter than it was, but the newer one is quieter.