3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

considering purchasing a 2019 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 07:16 PM
Cool considering purchasing a 2019 Fit

Hi Everyone,
It's my first time on this board. I'd like any and all input you can give me. I realize that this forum will be a bit biased but I'd still like your input!
I am considering purchasing Fit (vs a Focus).

What has your experience been like?
Mechanical problems?
How does the paint hold up?
**How does it handle in snow?**,
How does it handle in wet conditions?
Have you ever regretted your purchase?
Did you get the extended warranty?
Do you have problems with the clearance?
Is the HP and Torque enough for passing on a 2 lane highway?

Again, I'd appreciate any and all input!
Thanks,
Lisa

Old 04-30-2019, 06:54 AM
5 Year Member
I'm on my second Honda Fit. I've owned my '15 EX manual for four years and 68,000 miles, and I previously owned a 2009 Fit Sport manual. For the purposes of this discussion the '15 is pretty much identical to the '19.

"What has your experience been like?"

Car has been a blast to drive. Very easy to live with, Small on the outside, but very roomy inside. I average about 38 MPG in the winter and 42 MPG in the summer, so the price of gas is a non-issue to me. Except for a poorly aligned rear axle causing abnormal tire wear and a starter motor that went bad (both replaced under warranty), the car has been absolutely reliable. Mine was an early '15 and had the issue with the left side of the dash not lining up properly. That's my only other real complaint.

"Mechanical problems?"

Just the rear axle and the starter motor I mentioned above. Both were handled by the dealer under warranty. I change the oil and filter myself at 20% oil life remaining (for me, that's around every 10,000 miles). Car uses around a pint of oil in that distance.

"How does the paint hold up?"

I know there have been some complaints about paint, but in my case, the "white orchid pearl" paint has held up just fine. I clean the paint with a clay bar and wax the car in March or early April, then wax it two or three times more during the year and the paint looks like new after four (really five because the car sat on a lot for a winter before I bought it) upstate NY winters.

"**How does it handle in snow?**

Both of my Fits have done well in the winters here. I did buy snow tires for the '15 (never did for the '09), and with snow tires the car does just fine in the snow. It IS front wheel drive, after all. Without snow tires you'd want to make sure your all-season tires had good tread going into winter. Nice thing about the newer Fits is that the TPMS system is "indirect" and doesn't depend on battery powered sensors in each tire, so there's no issues swapping out snow tires/summer tires. I have my snow tires already mounted on steel wheels for winter.

"How does it handle in wet conditions?"

Mine does just fine in the rain. Depends a lot on the tires. The stock tires were adequate. I've run two different sets of Cooper tires on mine and they were better.

"Have you ever regretted your purchase?"

I had more initial issues with my '15 (hecho in Mexico) than I did with my '09 (made in Japan). On the whole, though, I've never regretted the purchase, although constantly staring at the misaligned dashboard trim as I drive continues to annoy me. Yes, I'd buy the car again.

"Did you get the extended warranty?"

No, I never buy extended warranties.

"Do you have problems with the clearance?"

My '09 Sport constantly dragged the nose pulling in and out of steeply angled driveways, which abound around here. My '15 EX has had no such problems. Then again, I don't usually do off-road excursions, either.

"Is the HP and Torque enough for passing on a 2 lane highway?"

It's a 2600 lb. car with 130 HP. There's more than enough power for any sane purpose IMO. I've never had a problem with passing a car or climbing a hill. Mine's a manual, so I might drop down a gear or two to pass. I'm sure the CVT has adequate power as well.

As always, the opinions expressed in this post are my own and may not reflect the views of the Unofficial Honda Fit Forum or its staff, sponsors or advertisers.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 04-30-2019 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:40 AM
5 Year Member
Fit has exceeded my expectations. I wanted a car that got great gas mileage since I was moving further from work, cheap to purchase, maintain and insure. It does all of those things well. I'm getting great gas mileage, in 75K+ miles it's averaging over 41 MPG. These have been my last 4 hand calculated MPGs 46.285, 39.351, 43.722, 44.172

Mechanical problems?
The Fit has been very reliable and has never stranded me or failed to start. I have done multiple recalls and went through Q/C issues like a sagging front bumper and dash piece like mentioned above. I have had my drivers door glass and right rear wheel liner replaced under warranty. Other than normal oil/filter/air filter changes I've only had to do a new set of tires at 40k and the CVT fluid change out. I did have to change out one tire, but that was more the pothole's fault than anything else.

Paint is a little thin as I'm seeing paint chips mainly in front, but that's expected. I have the WOP and it looks great clean, but easily shows dirt.

**How does it handle in snow?**
I've not driven in anything deeper than 3" and normal all season tires have been fine.

It's really dependent on tire conditions. With enough tread depth it handles fine. When the stock Firestones got down to 3/32nds I started shopping for replacements. The 205/50/16 General ALTIMAX RT43s have been great in the rain since.

I don't regret the purchase since it has exceeded the buying priorities I had set forth. If the Civic Hatchback Sport had been around when I was shopping for a commuter car, I would have paid the extra money for it instead.

I did not.

No problem with the clearance during normal driving conditions. We get some crazy potholes in the DC Metro area and I've scratched the front bumper a few times after unexpectedly hitting them. Regular driveways have not been an issue.

More than enough passing power. I sometimes have to go through mountain roads and it downshifts just fine for passing. If anyone has driven to VA Tech and 81, there are some pretty big mountains to go over and never worried about going up them.

The Fit uses it's interior much better than the Focus. Anyone riding in the back will appreciate the Fit much more than the Focus.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Lisa, I'm going to cut to the chase and throw a caution flag on the 2019, if only for the water leak issue, primarily in the doors. Search this subforum for details.

It looks like improper design, with dealers trying all kinds of makeshift fixes. This does not inspire me to purchase a 2019. I'd wait until that design bug gets straightened out.

I know this might not be what you want to hear. If our forum members experience here is in any way indicative of what's really going on, Honda has a hot mess on their hands. This is something that will need to be fixed on thousands of cars, because otherwise they will rust out in record time.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
What has your experience been like? Very positive...bought ours CPO, car has been great. It's a Jan '15 build...

Mechanical problems? None over the couple of years we've owned it, cannot speak for previous owner.

How does the paint hold up? It's holding up fine...it DOES have a few "blemishes," but no chipping/flaking/rusting of any sort

**How does it handle in snow?**, We get little snow here in the foothills of the Smokies in east TN, it's been fine...might be a different story if I lived up in the mtns

How does it handle in wet conditions? As noted above, it's fine with adequate tire tread...my problem with wet conditions where we live is due to the composition of the road surface....traction is low wet, but it happened in every car we owned, so it's not the Fit....seems TN mixes a lot of oil into their blacktop, or something

Have you ever regretted your purchase? Nope ….Wanted a simple used car (no touch screen BS), fun to drive, manual transmission...got it

Did you get the extended warranty? Ours was extended by benefit of buying CPO....not technically a "purchased" extended warranty, but in a way, it is, I guess

Do you have problems with the clearance? Only in one place, the exit from our bank onto the side street...have scraped in a few cars there, not an issue, really

Is the HP and Torque enough for passing on a 2 lane highway? Can't speak for the CVT, but with the manual, yeah, just drop a couple gears and go.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:04 AM
What has your experience been like? Been pretty happy with it so far since buying new in 2015. All my modifications are for creature comfort and enjoyment. Not track days like my previous cars.
Mechanical problems? Zero
How does the paint hold up? Sorta biased since I used 3M protection on the hood since new and vinyl wrapped the roof later on (helps protect from the rocks that fall off my kayak). Otherwise it's fine.
**How does it handle in snow?** Only had one set of winter tires (X-Ice 3) but it has been the best car that I've owned/driven in the snow.
How does it handle in wet conditions? With the stock tires, I managed to let the rear end get a bit loose on an on ramp and the traction/stability control saved my bacon. My limits are high as I am used to and prefer to drive on a wet racetrack. Suffice to say the car's actual wet traction limits were mediocre when pushed. When driven normally it should be fine.
Have you ever regretted your purchase? Only a tiny bit when the Kia Soul came out in turbo and the Ridgeline came out new and redesigned....one year after purchase.
Did you get the extended warranty? Nope. Do most of my own work.
Do you have problems with the clearance? Still on stock suspension so no.
Is the HP and Torque enough for passing on a 2 lane highway? Even with CVT in a heavily loaded car - no problems.

Last edited by Action Jackson; 05-10-2019 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
I will echo the others. No problems at all in 5 years (there were 2 recalls, but they were transparent to me), the car is more than fast enough, I didn't take the extended warranty, and we pack everything but the kitchen sink for an annual long trip.

Snow? We live in Tampa Bay, so no idea. Thank heavens.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lisa Grace
What has your experience been like? OK

Mechanical problems? None

How does the paint hold up? Rock chips, but I do allot of highway driving

**How does it handle in snow?**, Fine once you put snow tires on it

How does it handle in wet conditions? Depends on the tires. Mine sucked with the stock Firestones my 2017 came with. It's fine with the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's I use for the summer.

Have you ever regretted your purchase? Yes, even though quite utilitarian, I wish I would have bought a Civic hatch instead. The couple MPG difference wouldn't have made a difference to me and would have preferred a bigger car.

Did you get the extended warranty? No, never would. Stick the money in the bank instead and save it in case you need it for repairs. Most never get anywhere what the warrenty costs back in repairs.

Do you have problems with the clearance? No, and I switched to a larger 16X7" wheel with 205/50/16 tires

Is the HP and Torque enough for passing on a 2 lane highway? Yes, I live in corn country and routinely have to pass farm vehicles. I do own a manual transmission car, so I don't know if that makes a difference? I just downshift into fourth or even third.

I do like the Focus ST and should have considered that as an alternative. Good luck with whatever you buy.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
I bought the car for what it is. Inexpensive to purchase and to operate. In general, Honda has a better reputation than most for providing a quality product. Lots of room and flexibility in changing seating configurations. Your other concerning factors were not deal killers. Given the other cars in this class I would buy the Fit LX with CVT again.

Last edited by wasserball; 05-01-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:37 PM
I think a little bit of this depends on what you are driving now. Coming from a 2008 Mazda 3 hatch, the utility is much better with the fit along with gas mileage. However, the ride is much worse, but the is just part of the deal going from a compact to sub compact in my opinion.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
Hi. I have a 2015 Fit EXL. The Fit is go. Its a great small car. I love it. Boom

Old 05-02-2019, 04:07 PM
I literally just bought mine this week, so my experience is minimal, but I'm liking it so far. I'm going to skip most of your questions and answer the only two that I can.

>Did you get the extended warranty?
No, those are generally scams and my last Fit (an '08) only had two problems, both in the last two years of it's life, so I skipped it.

>Does it have enough power?
It has more than enough. 128hp in a subcompact is a fairly large amount of power, in fact when I was doing my research the Fit had the second highest horsepower out of the sub-$20k hatchbacks AND the LX has the highest gas mileage of all of them (even higher than the Spark, which is considerably smaller) and it accomplishes that with regular gas while the Ford, I believe, requires premium. I even leave it in Econ mode and it can pass.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:57 AM
I don't think anyone has ever regret owning a fit...
A big reason why I love my fit is that it literally lives up to it's name.
Parallel parking on the street is a cake and can fit in places where full size cars cannot. (Always get a chuckle out when I find a spot for my car in LA cramped streets.)
Another thing is that the room inside the car always surprises me every time I load things into it. (I was able to fit (4) 16" wheels (rim and tires) and 4 fresh tires into the back AND i have a subwoofer back there...crazy right?)
Last but not least, GAS... it always going up so why not get a gas friendly car? I used to own a 99 accord (V6) as a commuter. (20-25 MPG and $60 at the gas pump ever other week...ouch) With the fit I was able to drive from LA -> Las Vegas on one full tank and still have a little bit left to drive down the strip and explore..

At the end of the day, I love my fit.. simply cause it just fits into my life and doesnt bring me any pain. (spending alot of $$$). just my 2 cents.

Old 05-11-2019, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member

Kind of like buying the $1.50 Hot Dog and Soda at Costco. You realize you're getting a great value for purchase price for a lunch. BUT ultimately it's just a Hot Dog and Soda.
Mechanical problems?

2016 nothing yet. Had to buy aftermarket Windshield Wipers and the OEM dragged and chattered.

Color: Black, no problems yet. Durability about what I would expect after 3 years. Not the toughest paint. Not the weakest. Would recommend immediately buying touch up paint, you will need it.

**How does it handle in snow?**,

Not a lot of snow where I live. Few times I have had to drive in light to moderate snow? It's done well, like you might expect from any small, light, front wheel drive vehicle. No Snow Tires.

It does rain a lot where I live. So far, handles OK in wet conditions, but I think a LOT of that has to do with tire condition and quality. My tires still have good tread.

Not really.

No.

The clearance is the clearance. You can see it. It's a sub-compact hatchback that is low to the ground. For my mostly urban usage, I've not had a problem. But it all depends on what driving environment you are talking about.
You do have to take care over speed bumps and/or steep driveways. But that's typical of all vehicles in this genre.

I've never had a problem.- It's not a sports car.
What I like, with a mostly factory Honda Fit, is Honda IMO did a great job of making it "feel" faster than it actually is....it's a fun car to drive. I find the horsepower adequate for sane, normal driving.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
I just got my 2019 LX a little over a week ago, so I don't have any long-term observations, but I like so far. I was driving an '08 Sport with the stick shift -- I bought that in 2014 with 82K miles on the clock, and it had 167K when I traded it in.

The CVT is the biggest difference. When I first got the car, I thought it had a more sedate personality than the Sport/stick -- but the CVT is a little deceptive in that respect. You step on the gas, and the engine goes up to 3000 RPM (or whatever) before the car accelerates -- as a result, it doesn't *sound* as though you're accelerating much... until you look down at the speedo and it says 65 or whatever, and you go, "Whoa, I guess this is the same engine I had!" I'm not going to really flog it (as I used to do regularly with the Sport) until it's got some miles on it -- but I suspect it would probably turn about as fast lap times in the hands of a good road race driver. Frankly, I doubt I'll ever go back to a stick shift -- which is something I never thought I'd say!

It's also much quieter than the old Fit -- partly because it's new, but the sound damping is obviously much better. Sight lines are about the same -- the backup camera provides additional information but is no substitute for looking out the windows. I like some of the new features like the automatic headlights, controlling the sound system right from the steering wheel, and blah-blah -- but those are probably common features in new cars these days. (I tend to buy low-featured cars and keep them a long time.)

Basic character of the car is pretty similar to the '08. Assuming everything is as reliable as it should be, I'm happy as a clam, with this car.

Urb

Last edited by urbie4; 05-12-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by urbie4

The CVT is the biggest difference. When I first got the car, I thought it had a more sedate personality than the Sport/stick -- but the CVT is a little deceptive in that respect. You step on the gas, and the engine goes up to 3000 RPM (or whatever) before the car accelerates -- as a result, it doesn't *sound* as though you're accelerating much... until you look down at the speedo and it says 65 or whatever, and you go, "Whoa, I guess this is the same engine I had!" I'm not going to really flog it (as I used to do regularly with the Sport) until it's got some miles on it -- but I suspect it would probably turn about as fast lap times in the hands of a good road race driver. Frankly, I doubt I'll ever go back to a stick shift -- which is something I never thought I'd say!

Urb
Congrats on your new Fit and welcome to the forums.

I went from several manual cars to the CVT mainly b/c I had a long commute in stop and go traffic. Sure there are times that I wish that I had the manual but overall I don't regret it. I don't plan on using for track duty (but never say never). You'll find that the rpm's will vary for the same speed b/c of wind, hills, load etc....

Enjoy!

Old 05-24-2019, 01:20 AM
I have a 2018 sport. It's definitely the way to go.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:08 PM
I test drove a 2019 Black Honda Fit Sport today. I thought it drove better than my 2011 Sport. It seemed a little subpar on build materials. The seats were actually nice looking but not comfortable at all. I doubt that I will make the purchase and just keep my 2011.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:52 PM
'17 EX-L w/Navi

We replaced an '03 Mazda Protege5 hatchback last fall with a '17 Milano Red Fit EX-L with Navi for the Lady of the House. The car was a Honda Executive return with 14,000 miles on the clock. It's been flawless so far. It's been returning 35 mpg around town. We took a road trip into MI last August and the little beast did 45 mpg at 70 mph. My wife likes it because it's small and easy for her (5'2") to see and handle. I like to drive it in sport mode with the 7 speed paddle shifters. It had good traction for our mild winter, but when the OEM tires wear out, I'll upgrade to something better. The configurable rear seats make it a really decent hauler for its size. The only extra we have is the rear cargo area cover. I think it will be in our garage for many years.