3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Wondering if anyone has had issues with the rear brakes wearing faster then the front

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
Wondering if anyone has had issues with the rear brakes wearing faster then the front

I have a 2017 Fit with just about 16000 miles and the rear brakes are already worn out . I was wondering if anyone else has had the issue. My previous fit was still on both Factory sets in to the 36000 mile area. I also always been used to the thought front discs wear faster as the majority of the weight is up front. No major hills mainly freeway driving. Not over loading the car. Just curious.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
You're right, it's odd for the drums to wear out before the discs do. Should be covered under warranty. The biggest problem we saw with the GK5 was the early '15s made in Mexico did not have their rotors properly annealed, and they warped in record time, often before 10K.

As to the excessive rear brake wear in your Fit with relatively unworn front brakes, the only cause I can think of would be driving around with the parking brake partially engaged. But I bet you didn't do that, so we're back to square one.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
HMM.. Thank you for your replie.. when I had took it in to the dealer for its oil change they did not say anything about it .. They then cold called me three months later saying the rear brakes were about worn out and had I noticed anything. I asked them how can the rear wear out before the front to which there really was no answer given just call back when you want to talk about getting them done.. Oh well yes going to be going rounds I think with the dealer about this

Old 05-07-2019, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Whoa, they called you three months later out of the blue to tell you that the rear brakes were shot? I'd be intensely curious why they didn't tell you that during the oil service, and what changed in three months to result in a phone call?

Big safety issue here. Waiting three months to tell you about a safety issue, not good. I'd bypass that dealer, get on the horn to Honda corporate or the Honda district manager, and politely ask them what the hell is going on. Rear brakes going early is one thing, but a dealer sitting on the same info without passing it on to the owner on a timely basis is really questionable business practice.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
If you were not driving around with the parking brake on, then it has to be one of three things:
1) the flexable hose connecting the rear brakes to the brake line is defective, and is acting as a check valve, preventing the brake shoes from retracting.
2) a failure of the brake shoe return spring (unlikely as it would normally only affect one side, not both).
3) improperly adjusted rear brake shoes.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
I think that the first thing to do would be to actually verify the wear on the rear brakes someplace else.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
I think that the first thing to do would be to actually verify the wear on the rear brakes someplace else.
^^^ This ^^^