3rd Generation GK Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

possible to frankenstein rear disc brakes???

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 07:50 PM
possible to frankenstein rear disc brakes???

this maybe a long term post and discussion as not a lot of us have the cars i hand yet...

but I wonder if possible to upgrade to rear drum brakes to disc brakes... like the T1R conversion that I searched about for the earlier generation Fit.

im still not sure why in this day and age, drum brakes still exist??

Old 07-03-2014, 03:19 AM
Originally Posted by ETFitRS
im still not sure why in this day and age, drum brakes still exist??
They're cheaper, cleaner, and make it easier to implement a parking brake.

Honestly, it's a little econobox, most of its weight is on the front wheels, and with weight transfer about all the rear axle does is hold the back end of the car off of the pavement. You probably won't replace the rear shoes until you've replaced the front pads three times or more.

If you were to retrofit disk brakes you'd have to get a heck of a good modulating valve to prevent rear wheel lockup.

If you manage to fade the rear drum brakes on a Fit, you'll be toasting the front disks!

Last edited by GeorgeL; 07-03-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't bother changing it. Over the life of the car, you'll probably have the drum brakes serviced ONCE. (Twice at the absolute most).

I'm at 75,000 miles, and I still have well over half my drum lining left. The front brakes do 95% of the stopping.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:52 AM
5 Year Member
I'd leave it. Replaced my fronts around 75,000. Guy told me rears hardly had any wear on them.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:01 PM
I have wondered the same and I thing the JDM RS and Mugen Fits will have rear disks but I really don't think there is value in the conversion unless you were to wait until the drums were worn out and could get a full disk set up at the wreckers. Rear disks may be one of those things that they hold back on releasing on the mass market cars for a couple of years until they do an update.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:45 PM
Just a FYI the Civic/Si front/rear brakes are a bolt on affair if you do the 5lg conversion. Imagine Si brakes on the fit....

Old 08-23-2014, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by 15BlkPrl
Just a FYI the Civic/Si front/rear brakes are a bolt on affair if you do the 5lg conversion. Imagine Si brakes on the fit....
A bolt on affair for what? Then gk?

Old 08-24-2014, 01:30 AM
GE can use CRZ front hubs and raer axle assembly. just needs crz brake lines and e-brake cables.

crz front brakes use same caliper and pads, so parts can be salvaged from same crz if it is an online salvage yard special.

honestly, front pad upgrade and rear disc means much stronger brake performance.

While drums are very low maintenance on FWD cars, they suck at extended periods of spirited driving. Lots of brake fade leads to front brakes going from 70-80 % of the work to nearly 100%

Old 01-25-2015, 07:58 AM
Bringing this one back to life...Been searching for info on rear brake conversion and couldn't find much.
The Fit in New Zealand comes with tear disc brakes would this mean is an bolt on for ours?

Old 01-26-2015, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by absolude
Bringing this one back to life...Been searching for info on rear brake conversion and couldn't find much.
The Fit in New Zealand comes with tear disc brakes would this mean is an bolt on for ours?
It's a matter of getting the right combination of parts, but keep in mind that it might be more than the parts out at the rear wheels. Upstream parts and even ABS software might be different to provide the different pressures needed for the rear calipers.

I'd be interested to know if, in B-spec racing, the drum brakes give any problems. I note that Honda's B-spec kits include braided steel lines and uprated pads for the front, but none for the rear.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:17 PM
Pretty sure the way the brakes are proportioned, you'll fade the fronts way before the rears unless you've got seriously upgraded rotors, calipers, pads, etc. I mean like a BBK on the front, not just pads and rotors. It's pretty easy to fade the fronts on the OEM parts and fluid.

Porterfield makes R4-S shoes for the Fit, IDK about interchangeability with the GK or or they do or plan to make them for the GK.

In conclusion, unless you're doing a BBK on the front, I wouldn't bother swapping to disc. Or if you're looking for parking lot points.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
It's a matter of getting the right combination of parts, but keep in mind that it might be more than the parts out at the rear wheels. Upstream parts and even ABS software might be different to provide the different pressures needed for the rear calipers.

I'd be interested to know if, in B-spec racing, the drum brakes give any problems. I note that Honda's B-spec kits include braided steel lines and uprated pads for the front, but none for the rear.
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Pretty sure the way the brakes are proportioned, you'll fade the fronts way before the rears unless you've got seriously upgraded rotors, calipers, pads, etc. I mean like a BBK on the front, not just pads and rotors. It's pretty easy to fade the fronts on the OEM parts and fluid.

Porterfield makes R4-S shoes for the Fit, IDK about interchangeability with the GK or or they do or plan to make them for the GK.

In conclusion, unless you're doing a BBK on the front, I wouldn't bother swapping to disc. Or if you're looking for parking lot points.
Thanks for the technical insight guys. Looks like for street driving it's not worth the bother.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:43 PM
Drum brakes are more than adequate in this application and require less service.

Win / win.