3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2020 HONDA FIT LX CVT Re: Slight Hesitation At The Beginning of Acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 05:49 PM
2020 HONDA FIT LX CVT Re: Slight Hesitation At The Beginning of Acceleration?

There is an ever so slight not a pause but a hesitation may be the best way to put it after I have for example backed out of my parking space put the car in drive and modestly give it some gas. Afterwards all is good. I have taken to after backing out of the parking space to starting the car off in S or sport mode rather than D or drive. The hesitation is no longer there in S mode. (1) Is the hesitation in D when first accelerating normal and if so good and (2) Am I abusing the transmission by shifting so much? I do it at stop lights as well. TIA.

Old 12-26-2020, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
Yes. It takes a moment for the CVT to switch from reverse to forward. When I back out of my garage, I've learned to be patient and not try to jackrabbit out, it only takes a second or so.

Are you abusing the tranny? Perhaps. While in theory you can be switching gears all over the place, in practice you're introducing wear every time you do. If you can't live with the hesitation, just leave it in S.

Old 12-27-2020, 09:11 AM
Yes there's more of a delay when the CVT shifts from idle or one direction to another (as in P to any gear or R to D or D to R). My 2019 KX CVT does it and I wait for the hesitation to subside before I engage the throttle (even though the indicator says I'm in the gear I selected). It's the slowest to engage of other CVTs I've driven from other car companies (rental cars).

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...-gear-cvt.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...019-fit-2.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...on-ts-cvt.html

Old 12-27-2020, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by bargainguy
Yes. It takes a moment for the CVT to switch from reverse to forward. When I back out of my garage, I've learned to be patient and not try to jackrabbit out, it only takes a second or so.

Are you abusing the tranny? Perhaps. While in theory you can be switching gears all over the place, in practice you're introducing wear every time you do. If you can't live with the hesitation, just leave it in S.
Thanks for replying.

>Yes. It takes a moment for the CVT to switch from reverse to forward.

Good to know.

>Are you abusing the tranny?

Other then how I explained it I do not believe so though frankly I am not entirely sure what constitutes abusing the tranny?

>If you can't live with the hesitation, just leave it in S

I thought that once you reached 40 miles an hour or so you should get out of S and get back into D? Are you suggesting leaving it in S even when I get up to 70 mph on the highway? As mentioned my routine now is whenever I need to go forward instead of D I go to S and once I reach about 35 mph I slip it into D. I do this even whenever the car is pointing forward not just after backing out. For example in a parking lot. Instead of starting out in D I start out in S (no hesitation) and once I reach the appropriate speed (on the street) I switch to D. Thanks.

Old 12-27-2020, 10:19 AM
No mention of a speed requirement for Sport (manumatic shift):

Old 12-27-2020, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by Jazu
Yes there's more of a delay when the CVT shifts from idle or one direction to another (as in P to any gear or R to D or D to R). My 2019 KX CVT does it and I wait for the hesitation to subside before I engage the throttle (even though the indicator says I'm in the gear I selected). It's the slowest to engage of other CVTs I've driven from other car companies (rental cars).

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...-gear-cvt.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...019-fit-2.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...on-ts-cvt.html
Thanks for the links. They were very informative.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
I have a slight "hesitation" in our '15 LX with a manual trans, only really noticeable at about 2200 rpm in 2nd gear......feels like a slight stumble or hesitation right at that rpm .....am assuming it's something in the engine software. I have noticed it on rare occasions in maybe first, maybe 3rd, but I've a) learned to live with it's minor, and b) a lot of time I just rev high enough in the lower gears that when I shift, I'm at a rpm level that when I shift, the next gear will drop to a point that's higher than 2200, and it's not really noticeable in higher gears, 2nd gear is the worst offender....I mean 1st is so low, that the engine blows from idle to redline in a heartbeat or two...dunno if we're talking about the same phenomena or not - do CVT equipped Fits have tachometers?

Old 12-27-2020, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
They do, and there is a brief dip in power delivery from stop at 1500 rpm. Annoying, but not horrible. One day I'll investigate a mild tune to see if it can be flattened out.

Old 01-06-2021, 12:41 PM
The only hesitation I've seen is when my 2019 LX CVT is coming off an acceleration event (accelerating, reaches speed, hesitates, maintain speed). That hesitation is more noticeable when the cruise control is on and hesitates just as the speed is reached. Anyone else notice this?