3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2016 LX alternator won’t come off

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 08:20 PM
2016 LX alternator won’t come off

Hi everyone. First post though I’ve lurked off and on for years. I’m currently sitting in my driveway with an alternator that has both (2) bolts removed and should be able to come off, but all I can get it to do is pivot. My only thought is there’s a sleeve that goes between the bolt and the bracket on the bottom and it’s stuck on that. If there’s a third bolt that I’m missing or any other suggestions, I’d love to hear them.

Thanks.

Old 04-18-2023, 11:42 PM
Replacement alternator will tell you if there's a third bolt. Most alternators have a "sliding" sleeve that pinches upon tightening for one of the bolts. Your best bet is to look at where the sleeve is and push the alternator in a way that pushes the sleeve out (pry bar or flathead screwdriver). Apart from that you may be able to stick a pry bar between the alternator and somewhere on the engine to pry the unit directly off; be careful not to pry too hard on soft plastic or similar. Good luck!

Old 04-18-2023, 11:46 PM
My thought about the sleeve was right.

Originally Posted by NotMyDayJob;[url=tel:1476276
1476276]Hi everyone. First post though I’ve lurked off and on for years. I’m currently sitting in my driveway with an alternator that has both (2) bolts removed and should be able to come off, but all I can get it to do is pivot. My only thought is there’s a sleeve that goes between the bolt and the bracket on the bottom and it’s stuck on that. If there’s a third bolt that I’m missing or any other suggestions, I’d love to hear them.

Thanks.
I ended up just wiggling it up and down for longer than I would care to admit and would pull up from underneath and push back down from the top. It came off, but it wasn’t easy and I took no pleasure in it.

What worked for me…

I pivoted the windshield washer fluid intake back and to the left to get the alternator out, but I did get it out.

My main word of advice is to take the nut off of the ground lead terminal (or whatever the black cable is) of the new alternator BEFORE you attach it to the engine because I also spent a long time to trying to screw the old 10mm nut onto the terminal while the new one was still on and got absolutely nowhere and I couldn’t figure out why.