Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   I am attending the Press Event for the 2015 Next Weekend! (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/81739-i-am-attending-press-event-2015-next-weekend.html)

PaleMelanesian 04-09-2014 04:10 PM

Links to all the specification pages from Honda, so you don't have to scroll so much.
Honda Media Newsroom - Fit

vtecfit1 04-09-2014 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by mike410b (Post 1231554)
The new 6th is the same as the GE 5th.

What's even the point?

maybe the tire size is a bit of the equation (sp)

i was i bit dissapointed to be at 4000 rpm in my S2000 at 75 on the free way in 6th gear, i find myself in 5th all the time even in 40mph zones

ROTTBOY 04-09-2014 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 1231561)
...so you don't have to scroll so much.

Nice handy link, partner! Very usefull indeed. Fingers getting fatigued since this morning.:thumbups:

idletickover 04-09-2014 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 1231561)
Links to all the specification pages from Honda, so you don't have to scroll so much.

Domo Arrigatou!

accordguyintake 04-09-2014 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by TCroly (Post 1231560)
Jason,
You had a week and a half to decide how you felt about the new fit. Any comments you would have at this point will be driven by the reviews of others, that dilutes any impressions that the car may have had on you at the time you drove it. From other comments you have made, it sounds like you may be a student, no review on time, Big fail.

I've kept an eye closely on Fits and have been active on this forum since 2006. My overall thoughts have been pretty clearly said throughout my thread and especially with my comments here that I posted earlier in the day

1. From the 1st Generation Fit to the 2nd Generation, I saw a 5-10% increase in overall improvements. Yes, telescopic wheel and dead pedal was an AWESOME addition, but beyond that, there wasn't much else that was amazing.

From the 2nd Generation to the 3rd Generation Fit, I would say that there is a 20-30% increase in overall improvements. It's MUCH quieter on the road, the engine feels so much faster than before, and the interior just feels so much nicer, I would say it's almost on-par with a Lexus, like the CT200h or something.

2. Interior passenger space: Since a lot of you were REALLY curious about the rear seat space and with their claims of more leg room, I was actually disappointed. With the front driver's seat set to my comfort and climbing into the back, my legs were actually almost touching the front seat. It really seems like the backseats somehow have LESS room than before now!

And I wasn't able to sit in one without a moonroof, but the models equipped WITH a moonroof have a really cramped ceiling compared to my 1st Gen Fit. When sitting in the back of my Fit, my head literally has about 5 inches or more of space, it feels awesome and super roomy. With the moonroof, I lost about 1/2 of the total headroom I had in my 1st Gen Fit. So although my head still doesn't hit the roof (I'm about 5'11), there is significantly less space than before. This makes the car initially seem somewhat stuffy, but I got used to it fairly quickly.

3. Seat/Driving comfort: The driver's seat is height adjustable! Thank the heavens! The side view mirrors seem to have gotten smaller, but the very edge of them have "wide angle" effect to help see the blind spots. It was okay but looking out is definitely a little bit more difficult than before. Backing up even without the backup camera was relatively painless.

The front seat has a much improved lumbar support... It doesn't have rocks that penetrate your spine anymore. After an hour and a half of driving, I did start to feel that lumber sticking out effect a little, but it's a lot less than before and I think I could handle it easily. Honestly, it felt more comfortable than my mom's 2007 Lexus IS350. I did ask the rear seat passenger, however to keep this in mind on the drive and she did complain about the lumber after a short period of time. She said that it did not get worse over time, but was definitely noticeable right off the bat that the lumber was very pronounced.

The problem is this, I've been deciding if the new Fit is worth upgrading to someone who already has a Fit to begin with. It's an easy choice for someone who hasn't owned a Fit yet, but is it worth the dough to cough up if you own a 1st or 2nd generation Fit? I'm not entirely sure. Yes, the engine is better, the interior is nicer and quieter, but frankly I'm really sad that rear seat legroom did not seem like an improvement, and the loss of headroom was also something to think about quite carefully. I did not want to bring them up so bluntly, because the improvements to the car outweigh the losses. But for me to write a review, I need to come up with a conclusion to help figure out the tone of the whole story. All I have right now are bits and pieces and no big picture

ROTTBOY 04-09-2014 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by accordguyintake (Post 1231591)
.... The problem is this, I've been deciding if the new Fit is worth upgrading...I'm not entirely sure. .,,,,,,But for me to write a review, I need to come up with a conclusion to help figure out the tone of the whole story. All I have right now are bits and pieces and no big picture

Maybe what's needed is a bit more objectivity between your emotional attachment to your current GE and the recent experience with the GK.
I love my GD. However, because of my cheapness, never saw the need to upgrade until I saw initial pics of the GK last year. The looks was a significant difference. Then, the added hp and improved frugalness, convinced me to make the plunge. That's before joining FF.
We all value your thoughts so detach yourself from your GE and make a final conclusion. Dude, so far you have been up-front with us so don't rock the boat and just post your true sentiments. It may hurt some but it will be the truth as you feel it.

As you can gather from some of the responses, the delay in your conclusions are giving them doubts that it will come out tainted due to your weighing a balance from all the other reviews. I disagree. You must be torn because you actually drive a Fit when most of these journalists don't.

GO FOR IT!!!!! Most of us FF's are open-minded anyways. Besides the only way detractors can solidify any credible argument is if they actually have driven one themselves. Until they do, its all conjecture and that is not worth a dime. (correction: a penny)

elementrace 04-09-2014 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by accordguyintake (Post 1231591)
But for me to write a review, I need to come up with a conclusion to help figure out the tone of the whole story. All I have right now are bits and pieces and no big picture

From that short press weekend I doubt there is anything conclusive you can come up with other than a first impression, especially with all the ride alongs you were talking to it might be hard to concentrate.

All the other reviews were favorable if not glowing. I at least wanted the new Fit to handle and behave like the old one and it seems that it doesn't. The tradeoff is a better interior and ride quality, better fuel economy, maybe better build quality. Only a personal test drive will seal the deal I guess to see if the tradeoff in handling is worth the better equipment.

ROTTBOY 04-09-2014 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by elementrace (Post 1231613)
....Only a personal test drive will seal the deal I guess to see if the tradeoff in handling is worth the better equipment.

Those, like you who find the improvements marginal and not conclusive enough to make the plunge, a test drive is the only factor left.

From your location you may not get one till June/July so you'll have some time to wait. In the meantime, read further posts from FFs on the mainland who will be posting their thoughts once their dealerships have units on the ground.

BTW, your test drive will also be a first impression. Test driving and owning one to drive daily are two different things.

elementrace 04-09-2014 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by ROTTBOY (Post 1231615)
Those, like you who find the improvements marginal and not conclusive enough to make the plunge, a test drive is the only factor left.

From your location you may not get one till June/July so you'll have some time to wait. In the meantime, read further posts from FFs on the mainland who will be posting their thoughts once their dealerships have units on the ground.

BTW, your test drive will also be a first impression. Test driving and owning one to drive daily are two different things.

My dealer said they placed an order but "we're still a couple months away". He isn't sure where ours will come from either, Japan or Mexico.

I prefer to do several test drives and start narrowing down my choices to about 3 or so and test drive those more regularly if the choice becomes difficult. My under 20k choices right now are the Fit and the Nissan Juke. Above 20k maybe the Si. If I push it I might be able to weasel my way into a WRX. But again only the extended drive will tell especially since these will be daily drivers... but basically the one the makes me smile the easiest or the most I guess.

xorbe 04-09-2014 11:18 PM

I went and looked at the Focus and Fiesta today, as I actually need to buy a car soon. (And they really need to put the Fiesta's turbo and M/T into the Honda Fit.)

Bama3Dr 04-10-2014 12:17 AM

Jason,
Thanks so much for posting all the info and your impressions. You've put a lot of time and effort into it already. I may have missed it, but what did you think of the CVT transmission? I know there's no way it will be as fun as a manual, but do you think it would be at least as much fun to drive/responsive as the 5 speed auto it replaces? Or does it just have that bland rubber band feeling that people seem to talk about? Looking at the press release it looks like Honda really tried through the design work to not make it feel like that.

-Dustin

ydnality 04-10-2014 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by accordguyintake (Post 1231525)
Exterior

Exterior Features Overview
The 2015 Fit’s new exterior is not only dynamically styled but includes numerous class-above standard and available features that enhance its visual appeal and functionality.

Key New Exterior Features
· One-touch power moonroof
· Standard body-covered rear roofline spoiler
· LED brake lights
· Expanded View Driver’s Mirror
· Heated Mirrors with integrated turn indicators (EX-L)

Styling
The all-new Fit has a fresh and sporty new style to showcase its enhanced handling and power. The aerodynamic and purposeful design of the entire car is integrated with powerful lines flowing from front to rear, over the hood and roofline, and around the sides. These lines start with the forceful X-shape of the front bumper. The top V-lines of the X split to wrap around the lower edge of the headlights and over the hood. The strong character lines in the hood carry smoothly up the A-pillars to the more forward roof peak then taper down to the color-matched rear roofline spoiler. The inverted bottom V lines also split to frame the angular lower side fascia pods that house the fog lights on EX and EX-L trims.

Exhibiting a powerful and planted look, the lines at the edge of the protruding lower air intake flare back, ride over the wheel-accentuating front fenders and continue to expand in a wedge to encompass the rear wheel arch. A mid-height chiseled line emanates from the front wheel and scores a line through the door handles to expand around the taillight. Above the front bumper the commanding solid grille and lower positioned headlight design creates a smooth, one-motion surface that continues with an integrated linear flow over the hood, windshield and roof. From the lower air intake back, a planted bottom edge holds the design securely to the road.

All lines culminate at the rear into a substantial multi-horizontal form and tidy rear diffuser. The strength of the rear styling is accentuated by the roofline spoiler and forward slant of the rear window. Combination taillights expand powerfully into an angular form with reflectors rising to the roof. The lights are balanced below by the rear bumper edge flares with a similar but inverted shape. The solid bar garnish between the rear window solid hatch echoes the front grille design for a unified feel, on EX and EX-L models the garnish is rich chrome.

Aerodynamics
As an important element contributing to fuel efficiency, the 2015 Fit has greatly improved aerodynamics. The frontal projected area (m2) is similar to the previous Fit’s but the engineers were able to meet the difficult challenge of greatly improving the coefficient of drag (Cd) by the redesign. As well as the more aerodynamic bodywork, including windshield mounting pillar garnish and A-pillar design that smooth airflow, the greatest benefits to drag reduction were from the design of the undercarriage. The front lip spoiler, engine under-cover, center floor under-cover, rear strakes and rear suspension covers all help streamline the airflow under the car.

Mirrors
The shape of the two-tone, black and color-matched side mirrors complement the Fit’s exterior styling and were specifically designed for low aerodynamic drag to improve fuel efficiency while reducing wind noise. The mirror base and mounting point was redesigned for the new Fit to provide better visibility around the mirror. The easily adjustable power mirrors for the first time include the Expanded View Driver’s Mirror. EX-L grades also feature heated mirrors for all-weather driving convenience and include integrated turn indicators for added visibility in traffic. The EX and EX-L passenger-side mirror includes an integrated Honda LaneWatch™ camera. (See Safety and Driver-Assistive Technologies section for more information.)

Lighting
The front light arrays include multi-reflector halogen headlights with auto-on/off, Daytime Running Lights (DRL) and turn signals with clear lenses and amber bulbs. The rear light arrays include taillight, new LED brake light and reverse light. The Fit EX and EX-L includes fog lights in the side fascia pods and the EX-L also has turn indicators integrated into the side mirrors.

Glass
The 2015 Fit has a large glass area for excellent driver visibility and sense of space for all occupants. Excellent outward visibility is a hallmark of Honda design and a key feature for the Fit that has excellent front and rear sight lines for the driver, including a commanding eye point level.

One-Touch Open/Close Power Moonroof
A first for the Fit, EX and EX-L grades feature a one-touch power moonroof with tilt feature that will fully open or close with a single touch of the switch. Construction of the moonroof mechanism was studied to provide ample headroom. The moonroof has a sliding sunshade that opens automatically with the roof and can be closed manually to block sunlight. To tilt or slide the moonroof, the driver or front passenger needs only to fully press the ceiling-mounted switch once (instead of pressing and holding it for several seconds). The moonroof fully opens or closes automatically. However, if the operator wishes to only partially open or close the moonroof (such as to achieve partial ventilation), a lighter touch yields fully manual control. The moonroof can also tilt to provide ventilation. An auto-reverse feature is built in, helping to ensure that the moonroof will not fully close if it encounters sufficient resistance from an obstruction, such as someone's hand or arm. If sufficient resistance is detected, the auto-reverse mechanism will reopen the moonroof.

Colors
The 2015 Fit will be available in eight exterior colors. Each color emphasizes the Fit’s dynamic exterior design with a unique mood. The black interior complements all exterior colors and exudes premium sophistication.

Exterior Colors
Interior Colors

LX
EX
EX-L
Aegean Blue Metallic
Black
Black
Black
Alabaster Silver Metallic
Black
Black
Black
Crystal Black Pearl
Black
Black
Black
Milano Red
Black
Black
Black
Modern Steel Metallic
Black
Black
Black
Mystic Yellow Pearl
Black
Black
Black
Passion Berry Pearl
N/A
Black
Black
White Orchid Pearl
Black
Black
Black

Exterior Features

Exterior Feature
LX
EX
EX-L
15-inch steel wheels
16-inch alloy wheels
One-touch power moonroof with tilt feature
Roof-mounted antenna
Security system with remote entry
Smart Entry system
One-touch turn indicators
2-Speed/intermittent windshield wipers
Intermittent rear window wiper/washer
Body-colored rear roofline spoiler
Multi-reflector halogen headlights with auto-on/off
Fog lights
LED brake lights
Body-colored, power side mirrors including Expanded View Driver’s Mirror
Heated, body-colored, power side mirrors including Expanded View Driver’s Mirror and integrated turn indicators

Interior

Interior Features Overview
The all-new 2015 Fit has been completely redesigned inside as well. And while it stays true to its ultra-efficient concept, it now boasts a number of standard “class-above” features and optional premium features that make it more comfortable, convenient, and keep the driver informed, connected and entertained. Primary changes, upgrades and new features include a significantly enlarged cabin, a new center console with armrest and tablet connectivity, an available leather trim package, and available premium features such as Smart Entry with Push Button Start and the 7-inch touchscreen Display Audio.

Key New Interior Features
· Additional 4.9 cubic feet of passenger volume
· Additional 4.8 inches of rear seat legroom
· Steering wheel-mounted audio controls
· 7-inch touchscreen Display Audio (EX, EX-L) (see Audio and Telematics Section)

Styling
The new, fresh and sporty interior styling of the 2015 Fit starts with a large glass area providing an open, airy interior environment and giving not only a sense of spaciousness but also providing the driver with excellent visibility. The sophisticated and dynamic all-black interior with contrasting upgraded materials includes soft touch points and is accented with silver trim. The sporty, blue backlit three-dial instrument panel including a Multi Information Display (MID), 5-inch Monitor Audio (LX grade) or for the first time offered on a Fit, the 7-inch Display Audio on EX and EX-L grades. Comfortable and spacious seats with high-quality fabric have an appealing geometric pattern on the LX trim and a sporty and dynamic pattern on the EX. For the first time, Fit also offers the upscale luxury of a leather-trimmed cabin in the EX-L grade. In addition to the leather trim on the seats, the Fit EX-L includes a leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift knob as well as heated front seats. The flowing lines and contrasting materials of the cabin mirror the sportiness of the exterior and provide a sophisticated yet relaxing richness.

Driver Interface
For the 2015 model, the Fit interior’s has been completely redesigned for even greater ergonomic performance. The new instruments and controls are oriented to the driver for quick readability and easy, natural access. A large speedometer is placed in the center of the instrument pod that has, for the first time, Eco Assist lighting, the color of which changes to help the driver achieve greater driving efficiency. A tachometer resides to the left, and an MID, on the right, can cycle through various informational displays. The instruments and displays provide critical and useful information including current estimated fuel economy, time, outside temperature, fuel gauge and transmission gear position (on CVT equipped models). The 5-inch monitor audio or new 7-inch touchscreen Display Audio are conveniently positioned for either the driver or front passenger to control. New-style steering wheel-mounted controls with more functionality provide quick and easy access to various functions and information without the driver having to remove hands from the wheel.

Steering Wheel-Mounted Controls
All Fit steering wheels have three sets of controls, including the new-style radial controls. There are two left-hand sets: one operates the audio system or the Display Audio system, if equipped; the other controls the Bluetooth®x HandsFreeLink® and, if equipped, the navigation system. The right-hand set operates the cruise control.

The left-hand set of radial audio controls includes four controls on one ring—like the four points on a compass—to simplify the layout and provide for intuitive toggling between functions. A short push on the MENU button engages the Display Audio system. All controls are likewise positioned ergonomically where they are easy to reach and operate with minimal distraction for the driver. They also offer a pleasant tactile feel.

Layout/Packaging
The 2015 Fit is small on the outside but big on the inside. The new model is 1.6 inches shorter than the previous model but due in part to its 1.2-inch longer wheelbase—extended to provide a larger occupant space—the Fit has the largest interior space in its class. Contributing to the Fit’s remarkable interior bigness are clever packaging, thoughtful storage features, and the multi-position 2nd-row Magic Seats® that provide several interior configurations for the ultimate in functionality.

Key among the many clever engineering and design changes made to achieve the Fit’s excellent packaging are a lower profile fuel tank that provides almost 1 inch of additional vertical room. Floor frame members that were previously located along the sides of the fuel tank were moved under the tank to allow the wider tank profile. The fuel tank is also smaller by 1 gallon, however due to the new Fit’s increased fuel efficiency the driving range remains the same as the previous model. A narrower, single-fan radiator contributes to an engine bay that is over 4 inches shorter allowing for additional occupant room. And a new rear wheel arch design and shorter rear suspension trailing arm help to provide the 4.8 inch increase in passenger leg room.

Improved Packaging
· +4.9 cubic feet of passenger volume
· +0.8 inches of couple distance (side-by-side seating)
· +1.2 inches of front seat shoulder room
· +0.8 inches of rear seat shoulder room
· +3.2 inches of front-to-rear passenger room
· +4.8 inches of rear seat legroom
· +2.6 inches of rear seat knee clearance
· -4.2 inches less engine bay length (making more room for passengers)
· -0.4 inch lower front seating position

Occupant Area
Even when first entering the 2015 Fit, the driver and passengers experience the feel of space with wide opening doors, large door openings and a lower front seat height. Once seated, the 4.9 cubic feet of additional passenger space is immediately felt with increased room in virtually every direction, particularly the larger side-by-side and back-to-front passenger space. The sensation of airy spaciousness is further enhanced by a large glass area.

Cargo Area
Opening the Fit’s rear hatch provides access to a remarkably spacious and accommodating cargo area. With a low liftover height, four dedicated seat modes and dozens of configurations, the Fit is the epitome of functionality and utility. Fold the 2nd-row Magic Seat® forward and the Fit provides an enormous 52.7 cubic feet of cargo space—more than any of its key hatchback competitors. Other configurations allow long and tall items to be carried or even for two people to relax with their feet up when the Fit is parked.

2nd-Row Magic Seat®
The trick of the Fit’s exceptional utility is its 60/40 (right/left), split 2nd-row Magic Seat, but with the enlarged interior room afforded by the redesign, the multiple-configurable seat provides even better cargo carrying options. The Magic Seat can be configured in multiple ways to adapt instantly to a wide variety of circumstances and needs. In the standard seatback-up/seat bottom-down position there is ample room for three passengers to sit comfortably. As the seatback is split 60/40, one or two passengers can still be accommodated while extending the cargo-carrying capacity by folding down one side or the other. And since the Fit’s seat now offers exceptional rear-seat legroom, the rear passenger area can also accommodate a good-sized pet kennel or crate. The Magic Seat can easily be folded into any of its positions with levers accessible from the rear of the car or the rear doors.

Utility Mode
With both 2nd-row seats folded down, the Utility Mode allows for maximum cargo capacity—a cavernous 52.7 cubic feet. The flat floor and regular shape of the area allow for the most efficient use of the space. Also, due to the low liftover height of the hatch and low floor height, large and heavy items can be easily loaded. Four tiedowns on the EX and EX-L trims make it easy to secure cargo as well.

Tall Mode
The Tall Mode is another useful cargo-carrying configuration for tall items that need to remain upright, such as a large plant. This would also be useful for bringing an uncrated dog along, since the side-door entry is even lower than the rear entry of the vehicle, making it easy for most dogs of any age to get in or out. With over 4 feet of space from floor to ceiling, the space can even accommodate two mountain bikes with their front wheels removed. This is a better alternative than laying one bike on top of another in the back, which risks damage from protruding pedals and handlebars.
Long Mode
If long items such as lumber, a stepladder, or even recreational items such as surfboards or musical instruments need to be carried, the Long Mode accommodates. With the rear seat on the passenger side folded down and the front passenger seat tilted all the way back, items up 7 feet 9 inches long can be carried. The Fit’s Long Mode accommodates bulkier items without the need for a roof rack.

Refresh Mode
When not driving, the Refresh Mode provides a comfortable, feet-up place for two people to relax. This mode is achieved by removing the front-seat head restraints, moving the seats all the way forward and tilting the seatbacks all the way back.

Interior Features

Interior Measurements
LX
EX
EX-L
Headroom (in, front/rear)
39.5 / 37.5
38.0 / 37.6
38.0 / 37.6
Legroom (in, front/rear)
41.4 / 39.3
41.4 / 39.3
41.4 / 39.3
Shoulder Room (in, front/rear)
54.8 / 52.6
54.8 / 52.6
54.8 / 52.6
Hip Room (in, front/rear)
51.5 / 45.1
51.5 / 45.1
51.5 / 45.1
Cargo Volume (cu ft, seat up/down)
16.6 / 52.7
16.6 / 52.7
16.6 / 52.7
Passenger Volume (cu ft)
Seating Capacity

Seating
LX
EX
EX-L
Driver's Seat with Manual Height Adjustment
Leather-Trimmed Seats
Heated Front Seats
Adjustable Front Seat-Belt Anchors
Adjustable Head Restraints
60/40 Split 2nd-Row Magic Seat®

Information Display
LX
EX
EX-L
Average Fuel Economy Indicators
Clock
Digital Odometer and Digital Trip Meters (2)
Engine Oil Life Indicator
Exterior Temperature Indicator
Instant Fuel Economy Indicator
Miles-to-Empty Indicator

Instrumentation
LX
EX
EX-L
12-Volt Battery-Charging System Indicator
ABS Indicator
Airbag System Indicator
Backlit Gauges
Brake System Indicator
Coolant Temperature Indicator
Cruise Control Indicators
Door- and Hatch-Open Indicator
ECON Mode Indicator
CVT
CVT
Electric Power Steering (EPS) Indicator
Fog Lights Indicator
Fuel Level Indicator
Headlights-On Indicator
High-Beam Indicator
Immobilizer System Indicator
Low-Brake Fluid Indicator
Low-Tire Pressure Indicator
Low-Fuel Indicator
Low-Oil Pressure Indicator
Maintenance Minder™ Indicator
Malfunction Indicator
Seat-Belt Reminder Indicator
Shift Lever Position Indicator
CVT
CVT
Smart Entry System Indicator
Starter System Indicator
Tachometer
TPMS Indicator
VSA System and VSA-Off Indicators

You mentioned that the fuel tank is 1 gallon smaller than the old one - but this isn't true. You listed in a different post that the 2015 Fit has a 10.6 gallon gas tank. This is in fact the same exact size as the tank in the GE8. Just trying to help you out :)

accordguyintake 04-10-2014 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bama3Dr (Post 1231643)
Jason,
Thanks so much for posting all the info and your impressions. You've put a lot of time and effort into it already. I may have missed it, but what did you think of the CVT transmission? I know there's no way it will be as fun as a manual, but do you think it would be at least as much fun to drive/responsive as the 5 speed auto it replaces? Or does it just have that bland rubber band feeling that people seem to talk about? Looking at the press release it looks like Honda really tried through the design work to not make it feel like that.

-Dustin

It's a little hard for me to comment because I drove the Manual for 4 straight hours and the CVT for 10 minutes. As far as manual mode, it was pretty fun to play with the "7 simulated gears". Normal D mode was actually pretty smooth. If you live on relatively flat terrain, CVT will be awesome, super smooth and thoughtless operation. But I think that if you regularly see steep grades, you may get annoyed.

It might not have a super rubberband sensation, BUT - I noticed that the CVT model had considerably more engine noise transmitting into the cabin. During normal driving below lets say 3000-3500 rpm, which would be normal city driving, it's very quiet. But when I flicked the car into S mode and began revving up towards redline, the engine was screaming and it was quite loud. I'd pay VERY close attention to that on your personal test drive to make sure that you are okay with the engine noise level.

Actually... In this video, at 2:40 when I start off on Manual mode and begin to accelerate, the car begins to drone a LOT even at around 3000 rpm. Again, in D I did not really have a problem with engine noise, it was only when I was in Sport and started revving up well past 3000RPM

exl500 04-10-2014 12:25 PM

Jason, first thanks for all of your posts. They have been very informative.

I'll ask the opposite question: How noisy was the car with the manual at highway cruising speeds?

accordguyintake 04-10-2014 12:39 PM

At highway speeds the manual was pretty quiet. I don't remember the engine noise being an issue at all. It was a clear improvement over the 2nd Gen model Fit. Road noise in general was just really good on the new Fit. It could go over extremely ugly gaps and holes on the road and the car transmitted about 1/2 the noise that I expected to hear.

Elementrace: The engineer specifically stated that he worked a lot to improve the handling on the 2015 Fit. This is one thing I noticed... The steering got lighter but the accuracy is higher. The car drives like it weighs 3000 pounds but in a good way. It feels extremely solid and takes turns beautifully. I was trail braking into turns and tossing it around, but it stayed planted, the rear end even seemed like it wanted to come out and play sometimes.

I have coilover suspension on my car and a rear sway bar, I've spent a great deal of time trying to upgrade my suspension to improve handling, and to be honest, I'd be extremely happy with the handling level of the new Fit all-stock, maybe just with better tires. AND GUESS WHAT? I was told that the U.S. Spec Fit has an even more aggressive steering ratio then the Fit RS in Japan. So yes, we are missing the visual pop, but we got something cool where things really count :)

Not too long ago I had a chance to drive around a 2012 Civic Si sedan for a whole day. I was so excited! But it quickly faded as the minutes went by. The gear spacing bothered me, the power was eh besides having torque, and the shifter location just didn't feel right to me. The only thing that I really loved on the Si was the Limited-Slip Differential

exl500 04-10-2014 01:00 PM

Thank you. That's encouraging news. Of course, I'll test both when the time comes.

shephrd 04-10-2014 01:18 PM

Hey Jason,

Thanks for all of the information. In the following video at 4:44, the reviewer describes the new Fit turning radius as "atrocious":

I'm gathering that by your description of the steering ratio that you disagree and that the turning radius is not atrocious? Also, how does the turning radius of the new Fit compare to your current Fit?

Ultimately, I know that I will need to test drive it myself, but I would like to get more feedback from different people about the new Fit's turning radius. Whatever the case, I find it hard to believe that the turning radius will be truly "atrocious" when I drive it. I think that the reviewer should have chosen a more accurate and less exaggerated word.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by accordguyintake (Post 1231733)
I have coilover suspension on my car and a rear sway bar, I've spent a great deal of time trying to upgrade my suspension to improve handling, and to be honest, I'd be extremely happy with the handling level of the new Fit all-stock, maybe just with better tires. AND GUESS WHAT? I was told that the U.S. Spec Fit has an even more aggressive steering ratio then the Fit RS in Japan. So yes, we are missing the visual pop, but we got something cool where things really count :)

accordguyintake 04-10-2014 01:26 PM

Honestly, I didn't notice any difference at all in my turning radius and the new Fit. It was fine to me? I had to maneuver some tight areas and I didn't get into any trouble. You want bad turning radius? A bad turning radius would be a Mitsubishi EVO or Acura RSX Type S, lol

Buck Fitty 04-10-2014 01:31 PM

According to the specs, the 2015's turning diameter is 35.1 feet, and the 2013's is 34.4 feet. So the new Fit's turning diameter is 8.4 inches wider; the turning radius is 4.2 inches (107 mm) wider.

accordguyintake 04-10-2014 01:45 PM

The turning radius on a 2006 Acura RSX Type S is 38.1ft. Now THAT I can definitely notice, but from my Fit to the newer one, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary as far as ability to make tight turns.