Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   I am attending the Press Event for the 2015 Next Weekend! (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/81739-i-am-attending-press-event-2015-next-weekend.html)

accordguyintake 03-19-2014 07:08 PM

I am attending the Press Event for the 2015 Next Weekend!

2015 Honda Fit
For the sake of not rambling on for days and days, I will attempt to review the 2015 Fit in an unconventional way which will shorten the overall story. I will try to keep things as legible as possible.
Styling:
The car does have a pretty extreme exterior style; it’s a stab at being fresh, upscale, and dramatically different from the old model. Does it work? Almost. But at some side views, the car can look quite bad, happily there is only 1 or 2 angles I’ve seen that makes me feel that way. Overall, it’s a departure from the previous Generations’ embrace to the hatchback look and an attempt to make the car look more like a sporty crossover vehicle. Personally I liked the charm of the older Fits, but as most cars these days, they need to grow on you, and the 2015 Fit certainly did quite quickly.
Interior-wise, I was super impressed. The trunk area is now carpeted all the way up to the windows, rather than having plastic side panels that liked to get scratched at the slightest scrape in the previous models. The interior just feels very mature and nice, like they lifted it straight out from an Accord and shoehorned it into the Fit. I’m kind of sad there are no cutesy features like the accordion shaped shift boot in the 1st gen Fit and the 10 zillion cup holders and cartoonish climate control knobs in the 2nd generation Fit, but I think they made the right decision to make the interior a classier, more serious place.
Build Quality:
I went around the rear to open the trunk and the latch opener is an electric switch now, a subtle but very nice touch. All of the doors and trunk open and close with a reassuring thud. They all feel heavy and full of sound insulation, I was instantly impressed. All of the buttons inside the car were smooth and had a nice amount of weight to them. Although there is still a sea of plastics inside the car, they all have a pretty nice touch to them and nothing like the cheap, thin stuff in my first gen Fit. It feels comparable to a CT200h. I could safely say that this was a 15-30% improvement over the previous generation Fit.
Ergonomics & Design
Seats:
While I did not spend a great deal of time in the rear seat, the front feels nice. I did have a rear seat passenger complain on a 2 hour drive that the rear had a very pronounced lumbar bump, but she did mention that it didn’t cause any pain or discomfort over the initial reaction. The front seats on the Fit have had a long history of disturbing people with its ridiculous amount of lumbar. I only felt a little bit of discomfort on my mid-back after driving for an hour non-stop, but I still believe it is much improved over previous models. The driver’s seat now offers manual height adjustment which is a really nice addition. Both front seats have more cushion and pronounced side bolstering which kept me planted during aggressive driving.
Steering Wheel:
It’s a little big for me; the bottom sometimes hits my leg. If I bring the wheel up, it’s hard to reach the top of the wheel, for example while turning and keeping your hands at the 9 and 3 o’ clock position. I do like that the choice of material is harder than the previous generations, which makes the wheel feel more durable.
Trunk Space:
While this is a subject tough to evaluate subjectively, it “looked” pretty big and there were no intrusive shapes on the sides of the trunk which would take away space. I would say it is on-par with all previous Fits.
Passenger space:
A question that a FitFreak member asked me to answer is to set the front seat to my comfort, then hop into the back and see how much space I have. Luckily I tend to do this with many cars, including my own Fit to make sure I don’t crush the legs of passengers. I was expecting a lot of legroom with the claims of an additional 4.8 inches additional space, BUT – I felt that legroom somehow got smaller in the rear. I’m 5’10 and with the front seat all set up, when I climbed into the back my legs were resting on the front seat. The roof was also much lower with the addition of the moon roof, there were no models for me to see without the moon roof, but I have about 5-6 inches of head room in my 08 and the 15 Fit gave me only 2-3 inches of headroom in the rear seat. It’s enough but it definitely makes the interior feel a little stuffier compared to the older Fits.
Stereo:
I don’t have a smart phone, so I am not a huge fan of super technology packed cars, but the backup camera is really nice and useful. The lane watch system that shows your blind spot is nice, but I am probably not going to be looking down at the screen when I make lane changes on the freeway at speeds passing 65mph. The menus were fairly easy to navigate, and the HDMI+USB inputs on EX and EXL models are a really cool feature. As far as sound quality, it was okay.
Covered Undercarriage:
The undersides of the Fit is REALLY covered up, from what I gathered, this is good for aerodynamics which in turn will give you better fuel mileage as well as less wind noise on the road.
Driving Impressions
Visibility:
Rearward visibility is good, especially when you can drop the rear headrest down. Changing lanes is a little difficult; the sides can be tricky looking out sometimes. The side view mirrors seem like they’ve gotten a bit smaller. The outer edges of the mirror have a widened effect which should help you see the blind spots better, it kind of works.
Transmissions:
The CVT is derived from the Civic but retuned for the Fit. It drove smoothly and fine in D mode; the car accelerated reasonably well and never made a fuss. But when I went into manual mode or revved anywhere past 3000rpm, the engine droned quite annoyingly. Surprisingly the manual did not have this issue; perhaps the insulation is revised in the CVT model. This is something that should be kept in mind while test driving the car. Buyers who are usually light-footed and live on flat terrain will probably never notice this, but those who drive aggressively or regularly see steep grades may have to think carefully.
The 6 speed manual was what I was waiting for; I spent 10 minutes in the CVT and 4 hours in the 6 speed manual. Throws were short and properly spaced; although I did not like the motion of the throws or the amount of feedback. The throws seem to follow an arced movement rather than a flat forward and back motion, which sometimes made it difficult to skip down several gears at a time. On top of that, the plastic shift knob and possibly other factors made the gearbox feel light, spongy, and inaccurate. I had a situation where I was in 6th but had to quickly speed up, I tried to throw it into fourth, got confused if I was in 2nd or 4th and embarrassingly grinded gears with two other passengers in the car. I also took a second to get it into fourth, so the car that was tailgating me had time to get even closer to my bumper before I could get going and rocket away. To be fair though, the older Fits have this awkward shifter movement too, it’s just more critical with a 6 speed. The spacing difference from 1st to 2nd gear still seems too much to me, 2nd gear should be a tad shorter and closer to 1st in my opinion.
Clutch (if applicable):
As with all Fits, the clutch pedal is light as a feather, and I like it that way. The car has a very pronounced clutch delay valve which I like sometimes and REALLY hate at other times. Forget ever chirping 2nd gear again, the CDV will soften your hard shift and cause a slight slip, making the gear change smoother but with less snap and excitement. I eventually got used to it, but would still prefer to make aggressive gear changes if I choose to.
The gas pedal operation could get tricky. They have made the gas pedal EXTREMELY sensitive, so the car loves to rev up, but I always found myself revving way too much when I tried to rev-match into a lower gear. Additionally, the car revs up fast but takes forever to drop revs, further confusing my head on how to drive smoothly. I often change up gears and accidently rev up because of the lag in throttle response, and it made me sound amateur, again I was embarrassed. Only time can teach me how to drive it better, but it’s definitely not easy to just hop in and get it right away.
Engine:
The first Fit lacked any power anywhere, the 2nd Fit gave a bit of torque and died up top, the third actually had OK power everywhere! It picked up at low RPM decently and pulled me all the way to redline with some excitement along the way. It has a really nice engine note in the manual transmission model and had no issues getting me to and beyond 80mph. I can pass and maintain speed comfortably on the freeway without much thought or fear like how I feel with the older Fits, where getting on the freeway or changing lanes was well calculated, stressful matter.
Road Noise:
The car was MUCH quieter on the road than the older Fits. I would but it almost on par with a 2007 Lexus IS350 that I drive often. I went over many huge potholes and imperfections in the road expecting to hear crunching, cracking, creaking, and moaning – but all that came into the cabin were wonderfully hushed thuds and thumps. The car took these bumps with its nose held up high and had me believing I was riding in an entry-level luxury car. Engine noise is almost non-existent on cruising. And as I said the auto could be a little loud at higher RPMs, the manual sounds nice and throaty during performance oriented driving. Overall, the noise level is definitely at a level I would expect more from an Acura or Lexus, not a subcompact Honda.
Brakes and Suspension:
The brakes are powerful, be careful before you plan on slamming on them. They are also easy to operate and pretty linear in performance. I also tested out the ABS system in a couple of trail-braking situations and it behaved wonderfully.
The suspension was amazing. I felt like I was riding in a 3000 pound sports grand touring car. The car barreled down the road with confidence, soaking up small to moderate bumps with absolute ease, only getting a little graceless over the biggest road boo-boos. It felt like beyond 75% of the total available travel, the damping just goes away and you’re left with a floating sensation followed by violent suspension movements. Luckily it doesn’t happen often.
The heavy, solid feeling makes you think it can’t take turns well, but I had to try anyhow. Immediately, I was surprised at the accuracy of the steering wheel! I instantly felt a connection to the car and was comfortable throwing the Fit into some pretty edgy turns with a healthy dose of speed. I spoke with Yoshimuri Nakamura, the Assistant Project Leader for the 2015 Fit and he said a big area of focus on the 2015 Fit was to make it handle much better. Upgraded damper quality, design and many improvements to the suspension and electric power steering system has made this car into a graceful cruiser able to better negotiate bumps but with a surprising ability to carve up corners without breaking a sweat. The car felt effortless doing anything; it also felt very stable at high speed, which can’t be said for the previous models. Somehow steering effort is lower, but feedback and intuitiveness is way up.
Conclusions
The 2015 Fit is a great car. I spent a great deal talking about the bad parts of the car because, well simply that’s the way I am. I look at the bad to make sure I am okay with it first because embracing every other part of the car. Yes, there is less headroom and I strongly feel that there is less legroom, but I don’t think it’s bad, just less compared to my 08’ Fit. The amount of refinement and the higher quality of material amazes me, especially considering the price point. I still haven’t decided if I really want to trade in my Fit yet, but it’s more because of sentimental value rather than fear of losing anything, because simply, they’ve improved the Fit in every way I could think of. (Besides the head room!)

I will be able to take photos so I will do so! Will also try to get some video footage as well :)

Basically I will get to check out the car as well as drive it on the street and also get a chance to drive it "competitively". I will report back with more info after I attend!

Questions I plan on asking myself:

M1. How is the styling of the car, inside and out in person?

M2. How would I rate overall build quality? Fit and finish, interior pieces like plastics and carpet

M3. How is the power? Better?

M4. Impressions on transmission (I hope they have a manual!)

M5. How is the noise level out on the road?

M6. Stereo - sound quality and functionality

M7. Steering wheel: size and position

M8. Visibility: Front, sides, and rear

M9. Overall impressions vs previous generation models

M10. Handling: balance and perceived speed of it

M11. Ride: Ability to absorb bumps, handle sudden steering movements, and brake dive.

M12. Brakes: Strength and maybe ability to withstand extended use

M13. Overall comfort: Interior space, driving dynamics, ergonomics

M14. WHAT COLORS WILL THERE BE?!!!

M15. What would you consider to be the most significant change in the chassis and suspension of the car?

M16. What were the most important goals set out to improve the 2015 Fit over previous generations? What can we expect to benefit by choosing this over a 2014?

M17. Is the 6-speed manual derivative of a transmission already offered by Honda, such as the 6-speed manual in the CR-Z, or is it newly designed?

M18. What was the main reason for choosing a CVT transmission over another 5-speed or possibly 6-speed automatic?

M19. Will all Hondas eventually move away from the traditional automatic over to CVT or DCT transmissions?

M20. Typically how is the reliability of a CVT transmission relative to a traditional automatic gearbox?

M21. Is there a difference in driving a CVT one should take note of if coming from a standard automatic?

Questions YOU have that I will try to find the answer to!

U1. How comfortable are the new seats

U2. How is the driving position

U3. Trunk space, bigger? Smaller? About the same?

U4. How many different options will there be for seat fabric/materials? And if so, are they interchangeable from any trim level?

U5. Will Hybrid or "RS" model be offered? How many trim levels will there be? And when will we expect them to be available?

U6. At my 5'10 height setting on front seat, how is rear leg room? Also, how is head clearance on rear seats?

U7. Any plans for turbo model or increased power?

U8: What will be the pricing for the different models?

U9: Why was the final decision made to not include the Start/Stop feature on the U.S. spec Honda Fit?

Extra:

E1. Make video showing in detail of the car, interior, exterior, engine bay, functions like steering adjustment, starting up.

E2. Get brochures if available.

E3. Check to see if vehicles contain VIN numbers

siguy 03-19-2014 08:48 PM

Jason, cannot wait for your reports!!!! Thank you younger brudder for getting some good info for us. :thumbups:

FIT4LIFE 03-20-2014 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by accordguyintake (Post 1227653)
I will be able to take photos so I will do so! Will also try to get some video footage as well :)

Basically I will get to check out the car as well as drive it on the street and also get a chance to drive it "competitively". I will report back with more info after I attend!

Thanks, Jason! Look forward to your report on the '15 Fit!

Is it next Saturday, 3/29 or Sunday, 3/30?

How did you get an invitation? What publication do you belong to?

accordguyintake 03-20-2014 06:33 AM

It's a 3 day event from Thursday-Saturday next week. I just got an email asking if I would be interested to attend the press release, and I said yes! I was an editorial intern with DSPORT Magazine before, but I don't think they know that. Hopefully my experience there with writing and photography will do me some good for this upcoming event :)

I don't have a DSLR, so I will just be shooting videos and photos with a Nikon S9500, which really is a point and shoot with 1080 video. So, I will have to be as descriptive as I can be with words to communicate how I feel about the new Fit!

Cornerstrike 03-20-2014 02:29 PM

This is great news. There's is one main thing I would love to know about the 2015 Fit, and if you could give us an idea, that would be great.

The Seats!!!

I traded my 2011 Fit Sport of back issues due to the seat. The stock seats have a too aggressive lumbar, which is also too high. Many people have documented this.

I had an 06, 07 and 08 Civic that also had this issue, including my friends 09 Accord. Honda apparently corrected this issue with the 13 Accord and I'm hoping they do the same with the 2015 Fit.

I'm not sure if you are a current Honda Fit driver or not. I would to know if the new seat is more comfortable, is the lumbar less aggressive and if it's lower on the seat.

As much as I love Honda, I can never own one if it's going to continue giving me back issues.

accordguyintake 03-20-2014 02:37 PM

I have a 2008, I currently have a "racing" bucket seat installed and amazingly I think it's more comfortable than the factory seats. The only time it gets annoying is on long drives over an hour, but under that, it's extremely supportive and comfortable.

But yes, I understand the annoying seat sensation and ridiculous height, maybe we should start a questionnaire list in this thread so I can make sure to answer as many questions as possible!

nijkap 03-20-2014 02:44 PM

Question list sounds awesome!

Please check how responsive/annoying the 7 inch media screen is. I think that is the only thing hindering me from getting the EX package. Also how responsive the cvt is.

accordguyintake 03-20-2014 02:45 PM

I made my own list just now and it includes both of those :D

Cornerstrike 03-20-2014 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by accordguyintake (Post 1227812)
I have a 2008, I currently have a "racing" bucket seat installed and amazingly I think it's more comfortable than the factory seats. The only time it gets annoying is on long drives over an hour, but under that, it's extremely supportive and comfortable.

But yes, I understand the annoying seat sensation and ridiculous height, maybe we should start a questionnaire list in this thread so I can make sure to answer as many questions as possible!

The only thing I had an issue with on 11 Fit was the seat. So please make that question number one on your list. Hopefully they have a current Fit, so you can compare.

Question 1: seat comfort.

On a side note, yes, racing seats are more comfortable. I had an Evo with stock Recaro seats and I had no back issues whatsoever. The reason for this is the Recaro seat is design to hold you in correct posture, as long as you sit in the seat properly.
The proper seating procedure, on any seat, is to push your lower back all the way first, before you rest your upper/shoulder area. This will automatically force you to have proper posture.

But in the current Fit's instance, it just plain sucks.

nijkap 03-20-2014 02:48 PM

Sweet! I've been looking at all videos online, esp the Japanese ones where they go over the car silently. It would be grerat if you can do a long video going over the exterior and interior of the car while talking about your thoughts and details, If you have the time. :)

accordguyintake 03-20-2014 02:51 PM

Sure I'll make a note of that, just a walkaround and try to use some functions like starting up the car, working the stereo, revving, showing interior, steering adjustments, got it! :)

PaleMelanesian 03-20-2014 03:31 PM

Cargo space. They're making a big deal about more passenger space. Is it at the expense of cargo room? The 09-13 model is right at my minimum limit already. At floor level, the current model is 28 inches front to back, from the seat back to the middle of the bumper step-up.

accordguyintake 03-20-2014 03:47 PM

The only thing I can really do is look at it and make an assumption, because it might be shorter and wider or the panels might be more space efficient etc, too many variables for me! haha but note taken and added to list :)

SR45 03-20-2014 03:59 PM

If possible, can you inquire about the interior seat colors offered for north america ? I'm tired of the old black color only for the Sport model ;)

TLIMS 03-20-2014 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cornerstrike (Post 1227810)
This is great news. There's is one main thing I would love to know about the 2015 Fit, and if you could give us an idea, that would be great.

The Seats!!!

I traded my 2011 Fit Sport of back issues due to the seat. The stock seats have a too aggressive lumbar, which is also too high. Many people have documented this. .......... I'm not sure if you are a current Honda Fit driver or not. I would to know if the new seat is more comfortable, is the lumbar less aggressive and if it's lower on the seat.

As much as I love Honda, I can never own one if it's going to continue giving me back issues.

+100

I really like the new Fit (and plan on buying one), but there is absolutely no way I could live with the seats if they don't change them. What few pics I've seen so far that show the seats in them seem to indicate that the seats have been changed (fingers crossed).

Mr. Accord, your review will be much appreciated. :thumbups:

blazej 03-20-2014 04:25 PM

Would you mind asking about the models (specifically the hybrid and RS) and when they will be released (assuming they don't already cover this). Thanks.

accordguyintake 03-20-2014 04:34 PM

I doubt we will get an "RS", but will ask :)

nijkap 03-20-2014 06:18 PM

Oh can you also check the amount of leg space for the rear seats? So if you position the drivers seat to you specifically, and you sit in the back behind the drivers seat, how much leg room you would have. Please add your height as well.

And also please check the headroom for the rear seats as well. I've heard some news that the headroom in the back has been reduced due to the new body shape. It would be nice if you can confirm or not.

Thanks for doing this, you are awesome!!!

xorbe 03-20-2014 10:32 PM

Colors, and will there be a turbo engine later?

FIT4LIFE 03-20-2014 11:51 PM

Jason, on what date are you attending...Thursday, Friday or Saturday?

Thanks.