3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Is anyone else a little wary of direct injection?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 02:57 PM
^Seafoam does little to nothing to prevent this buildup even if injected through the manifold. By nature, this method provides uneven distribution to cylinders. In addition, the cleaning solution included in seafoam isn't exactly the best for downstream components. Much of the burnoff you see is the carrier oil burning off, not carbon burning off, i'd prefer not to have excess oil go through my cats/etc every 5k miles.

I have seen camscope images before/after seafoam treatment on DI engines and it didn't do much. Most effective cleaning methods are always by hand or cleaning media.

I am hoping that Honda designed the PCV system on the new motor well enough to avoid most of this, I am assuming this was their fix but I wish they'd just say so.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
One of the major contributors to reduced oil consumption has got to be the dreaded rev hang. For example, my evo X doesnt burn a drop of oil even after 5k miles of mixed driving. It has 80k miles on it and it has the rev hang. When you let off the throttle the ecu keeps the throttle plate open slightly to reduce the high intake manifold vacuum from drawing in oil from the crank case. The revs come down slowly in a controlled manner. I absolutely hate the way it feels, but it does work.

[

QUOTE=Wanderer.;1232468]^Seafoam does little to nothing to prevent this buildup even if injected through the manifold. By nature, this method provides uneven distribution to cylinders. In addition, the cleaning solution included in seafoam isn't exactly the best for downstream components. Much of the burnoff you see is the carrier oil burning off, not carbon burning off, i'd prefer not to have excess oil go through my cats/etc every 5k miles.

I have seen camscope images before/after seafoam treatment on DI engines and it didn't do much. Most effective cleaning methods are always by hand or cleaning media.

I am hoping that Honda designed the PCV system on the new motor well enough to avoid most of this, I am assuming this was their fix but I wish they'd just say so.[/QUOTE]

Old 04-14-2014, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
I am hoping that Honda designed the PCV system on the new motor well enough to avoid most of this, I am assuming this was their fix but I wish they'd just say so.
Maybe they do have some secret process but are waiting for the ink to dry on the patent application to keep others from copying it?

Old 04-15-2014, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
Yes I'm sure the maf sensor is going to love additives being sprayed in through the intake.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spunkysandoval
i don't see what the big deal is about DI. If the intake valves need a bit more cleaning than usual just add a seafoam treatment every third oil change. Done. I'll take the advantages of DI any day over PI even at the expense of an added maintenance step. I love doing maintenance on my cars and this is not a deal breaker at all.
Might mess up your sensors and catalytic converter.
The other problem of DI is vulnerability of injector nozzle being inside the combustion chamber.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:07 AM
I just joined the site, to research what ever I can about the 2015.. always loved how practical and functional the interior of the current fit is. I've gotta say finding out it's DI is a huge let down.. I owned a 2006 VW GLI with the 2.0t fsi motor before my current jeep, and carbon buildup was a nightmare! every 15k miles it'd cause a misfire to cylinder 4 and throw the CEL.. And at 600$ per cleaning plus the numerous injectors i had replaced (I'm friends with a VAG mechanic so I wasn't being had by a dealer) well the jeeps crap mpg is nothing compared to the DI mess. But anyone I've talked to with a kia/hyundai GDI motor never mentions problems, so I feel conflicted on whether or not to consider a new fit

Last edited by connor1791; 05-16-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by connor1791
I just joined the site, to research what ever I can about the 2015.. always loved how practical and functional the interior of the current fit is. I've gotta say finding out it's DI is a huge let down.. I owned a 2006 VW GLI with the 2.0t fsi motor before my current jeep, and carbon buildup was a nightmare! every 15k miles it'd cause a misfire to cylinder 4 and throw the CEL.. And at 600$ per cleaning plus the numerous injectors i had replaced (I'm friends with a VAG mechanic so I wasn't being had by a dealer) well the jeeps crap mpg is nothing compared to the DI mess. But anyone I've talked to with a kia/hyundai GDI motor never mentions problems, so I feel conflicted on whether or not to consider a new fit
That's interesting you mention the KIA Hyundai GDI because the engine was one of my main concerns when considering those two brands. I looked at the KIA Hyundai forums about the DI issue and carbon build up but it seems to be a mixed bag. Then again with the 100,000 mile warranty I suppose its an issue thrown in the back of a lot of KIA Hyundai owner's mind. Three of my concerns of the new Fit were the DI, CVT, and that ugly keyhole under the driver side door handle.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:10 PM
I have a 2012 accent w/ the 1.6 GDI. almost 37,000 miles and zero issues. I have run some seamfoam through the intake a couple of times just for my own piece of mind.

I am considering a 2015 fit because it closes the gap between the previous fits and the accent/rio as far as fuel mileage, power, 6 speed manual, looks without a huge price hike. I want to get back to being a Honda guy for various reasons. The gk is the 1st Honda that made me want to spend my own money in quite some time.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by yuwan63755
Only the 2014 Rodeo was DI and mine worked great and was not noisy at all.
Did you mean 2004 instead of 2014? There is no 2014 Rodeo.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:11 AM
Dirty air filters, crappy gas and oil have a huge affect on deposits.

Im 99% sure the 2015 fit will require 0w-20 sythetic like the rest of the new models though.

Ill make sure to check carbon every oil change with a borescope. We have a BG induction cleaner that works good.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by john21031
Direct injection is like hybrid and electric. Fashionable, new, but not a practical alternative.

Go trade your car for a Leaf, damn it.
I don't think you can compare DI to hybrids. My Earth Dreams Accord is so nice to drive and the dealers 2013 Civic Hybrid I'm driving is horrid. Last generations technology with a terrible hybrid system bolted on. Now I know why everyone panned the 2013 Civics.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by accordguyintake
If you want to reason with things that way, we should all just walk instead of driving cars, then we won't have to worry about filling gas, and people will not have to get all crazy over digging for oil anymore and the environment will be saved. You're going way too far to try and prove a point that doesn't even have a solid base to begin with. I am all for old school technology and trinkets and architecture and music, but things take their course and it's useless to fight it with every step. I'm sure the first automobile was more of a hassle than an improvement over a horse drawn carriage, but thank goodness they continued working on it and took us to what it is today.

Maybe further developments of the DI system will eventually lead us to even newer technologies OR AT THE VERY LEAST improvements to the Direct Injection system that will make it rock solid. But to plead car makers to simply give up on the system and just continue making old style engines because "it works"? Okay then lets just stay in the era with huge Inline-8s that can only yield 100hp. (Not sure if that's a real fact, just making junk up to make a point) And lets forget about developing stronger and safer chassis or using sound deadening, it's just useless weight.

If you want to fight the cause, just continue driving your 2nd Gen Fit. But please be aware that there could be hundreds and thousands who will come see your posts, and it will cloud their decision making on the new Fit. I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm right, but you sound 100% sure of your opinions on a car that is not even available to buy yet on a very touchy subject, and that's just not right.
completely agree

Old 06-06-2014, 11:26 AM
DI - "special" circumstances

I've been told I am special. But the circumstances I am talking about are the way I drive.

I live in a cold city. Often, I plug the car in, then go out to start it at -30C and that is a cold start. Most cars around here, plugged in or not, smell like unburned gas for the first few minutes until the engines warm up. Being a city driver, in a cold climate - do you think the DI would pose any problems that would not be common elsewhere?

Put another way - will short trips in cold weather cause fouling due to burning gas at less than optimum combustion temperature?

Thanks!

(for reference, I really like Honda and would like a new or old Fit, but am leaning toward a Mitsubishi Mirage these days for the economy/simplicity it offers - currently driving a 2003 Focus)

Old 06-08-2014, 12:18 PM
New cars go into closed loop in less than 30 seconds. There is a reason why you smell gas more in colder temps but I can't remember the exact reason. Probably because the air is more dense and doesn't rise as fast.