3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Theory about 6MT availability

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
Theory about 6MT availability

Checking the inventories of 2015 Fits shown on Cars.com and Autotrader.com I will note that no 6MT cars have been listed yet. I also note that the highest sequential VIN number that has been listed so far is 6087. Indicating 6087 cars have been produced. My dealer told me about 3 weeks ago that he thought he thought that he could get me a preproduction 6MT sooner than a normal production car, but so far has not been able to do this.

This leads me to a theory that I think Honda may have found some issues with the 6MTs during the testing of the preproduction cars and is likely taking some time to make changes before production of 6MT cars begins. And has brought all preproduction cars back to the factory for inspection and retrofits. Mind you this is only my theory and is not based on anything other than what I have posted here.

The comments made by different journalists about how well the manual transmission functioned were very diverse. Some reporting it was a delight to shift and some others critical of its throw, and linkage feel. This would seem like their MAY have been some issues that May need to be fixed or redesigned.

Looking at our 6MT vs CVT poll and the fact that so many forum members want to test drive a 6MT before they buy, would indicate that it may be some time before we have many Fit's in the hands of owners frequenting this forum.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by TCroly
Checking the inventories of 2015 Fits shown on Cars.com and Autotrader.com I will note that no 6MT cars have been listed yet. I also note that the highest sequential VIN number that has been listed so far is 6087. Indicating 6087 cars have been produced. My dealer told me about 3 weeks ago that he thought he thought that he could get me a preproduction 6MT sooner than a normal production car, but so far has not been able to do this.

This leads me to a theory that I think Honda may have found some issues with the 6MTs during the testing of the preproduction cars and is likely taking some time to make changes before production of 6MT cars begins. And has brought all preproduction cars back to the factory for inspection and retrofits. Mind you this is only my theory and is not based on anything other than what I have posted here.

The comments made by different journalists about how well the manual transmission functioned were very diverse. Some reporting it was a delight to shift and some others critical of its throw, and linkage feel. This would seem like their MAY have been some issues that May need to be fixed or redesigned.

Looking at our 6MT vs CVT poll and the fact that so many forum members want to test drive a 6MT before they buy, would indicate that it may be some time before we have many Fit's in the hands of owners frequenting this forum.
You probably have a point there. Adding to that, would it be possible that some of the pre-production press vehicles were set up differently to get feedback as a sort of blind taste test? Overall I didn't read too many negative things about the Fit except that it didn't have the playful feel of the previous gen and that maybe 6th gear should be taller than the previous gens 5th gear for more relaxed highway cruising. Also the manual doesn't seem to get the same praise as the previous gem's unit so they might also be trying to tighten up the shifting a little.

Still, the slow rollout can't be good.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by TCroly
...........leads me to a theory.............
Originally Posted by elementrace
.....would it be possible that some of the pre-production press vehicles were set up differently......the slow rollout can't be good.

Boys, boys, boys sounds like a "conspiracy" thread is emerging here.

Before it goes any further - as I posted last March 28, when my sales rep. called me, he clearly mentioned at that time that his GM would be attending the dealer reveal in San Antonio beginning April.

AT THAT TIME he similarly informed me that the earliest I could expect to spec out an M/T of my choice (the different models at that time were unknown) would be June for delivery August. So far he's been correct.

As for top models (EX's) coming out ahead, all mfg.s when intro'ing a brand new model, usually stock the dealers with expensive, top spec'd, high grossing models first. That's to take advantage of the advertising/press hype that came with the public release. Sadly, this marketing ploy usually works unless the car is really a dog from the onset.

The anxiety in not getting what one desires is frustrating but pre-supposing that a technical issue (however possible) is being hidden - highly unlikely!!!

Old 04-22-2014, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
I extrapolate the conspiracy theory to include the re-gearing of 5th and 6th.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
The rep at the NY show said mid-May for the manuals to start showing up. CVTs are from Indonesia, manuals from the Philippines. Nothing more than timing.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by exl500
The rep at the NY show said mid-May for the manuals to start showing up. CVTs are from Indonesia, manuals from the Philippines. Nothing more than timing.
Mid-May could be when they will start manufacturing manuals, but you will not see any showing up at dealers for at least 45- 60 days since it takes that long from manufacture date to shipping, thru distribution and then to dealers.

It is worth noting that the factory has not begin production of yellow, white or either of the Blues yet. Again based on those cars that dealers have been loading into their inventories as incoming on car.com and autotrader.com

Old 04-26-2014, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xorbe
I extrapolate the conspiracy theory to include the re-gearing of 5th and 6th.
The 6th gear must have caused unintended acceleration.