3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Test Drive: Hootie's Impressions on the GK5

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
Test Drive: Hootie's Impressions on the GK5

Hey guys and gals, after a really long and hot day... I've finally gotten a chance to take a quick drive in a 2015 Fit and wanted to share my experience. The model in particular was a Modern Steel Metallic in EX trim featuring the 7 speed CVT transmission.

Initial impressions

Exterior...

I couldn't help but absolutely DIG the monochromatic look of the MSM on the EX. The factory wheels equipped wheels are 16x6 +53mm offset with 185/55R16 Bridgestone Turanza EL470 tires featuring a "polished face" with a dark grey painted barrels and "propeller" spokes on the wheels. Which in my opinion really do accent the chrome trim outlining the grill and the hatch's chrome trim as well as really complemented this color quite well.

From a visual stand point, I really like how the vehicle looks from the front... the sides are beginning to grow on me, some may disagree due to the erratic body lines but they're too shabby... the rear end of the GK, I'm not too fond of though. For some odd reason, I seen the hatch at a certain angle and it reminded me of a Pug's ass. But basically when looking from the front of the vehicle to the back the body lines seem to go from subtle, simple curves and arches to the much more pronounced, angled and edgy line.

And overall, it seems like doesn't really show any similarities among the GD and GE especially due to lacking the "bug eye" lights but I can see various hints of more recent Honda body lines like the Accord Crosstour and Odyssey. It'll be nice to see some GKs with some nice lip kits or perhaps other more aggressive areo work done to it.

Interior...

The interior is a MAJOR step up from the GD3 and the GE8! It looked so much more updated and modern, featuring WAY less bare plastic materials, and all the vast majority of the features, controls, and driver's aids are layed out in easy to reach locations so there was little to no "hunting around" to turn things on/off or up/down, etc. In addition to that, WE FINALLY get a locking fuel filler door this generation!

The back seat was fairly spacious despite the slight loss in head room for rear passengers. I'm a lanky 6 foot, 1 inch 170 lb guy and felt somewhat comfortable behind the driver's seat with the sliders in the furthest back position... In my GD, I could BARELY squeeze in to the same location with my knees having just enough room to not bump into the back of the driver's seat. So far the only flaw I seen in the interior is how cheap the carpet looks for the floor AND how its used to outline the part of the cargo area in the hatch.

The gauge cluster was revised quite nicely this generation as well. It still features the 2 small, 1 large pod setup as the two previous generations BUT there is one pod SPECIFICALLY for driver information (the other small pod is the tachometer). That driver info pod includes the odometer, distance till empty, Trip A/B, the maintenance minder, fuel level, fuel mileage, etc. The tachometer has been revised slightly, featuring a digital gear select indicator just below the tach's needle which is similar to the GD3 Sport.

TEST DRIVE... (keep in mind, I autocross/daily a GD3 with a few suspension and exhaust goods as well as sticky tires )

Puttering around the parking lot, I couldn't really feel much feedback from the front tires while turning. I'm not sure if this lack of feeling is due to a different electric power steering design and/or due to the fresh low rolling resistant Bridgestones but it wasn't as responsive as what I'm used to. When lightly tossing the car around in the open lot with a little more speed, a little more steering feedback was present as well as the classic agile characteristic that the Fit has always had since day one.

Merging into busy, low speed traffic wasn't as much of a chore thanks to the new L15B and 7 speed CVT. The GK felt about as peppy as an 8th gen Civic equipped with a R18 and auto trans despite having a little less torque.

Once at speed in town, the Fit was very well composed feeling just a tad stiffer (but very reasonable) than the outgoing GE8 when coming across bumps and dips in my typical test drive route. The CVT was buttery smooth when during shifts without using the steering mounted paddles. With the paddles active, you can still shift up and down manually with the gear selector in S or D range (D will revert back into normal auto) just like the GD and GE... Though with the GK, you cannot hit the rev limiter in S with the paddles active since for some reason the vehicle will automatically upshift for you before even hitting redline.

Getting to highway speeds from a 20 MPH roll wasn't bad at all on the GK. It felt right on par if not a little quicker than my GD3 with FlashPro, 205/50R15s and full 60mm exhaust. The shorter 7 "speeds" really aid in acceleration and keeping the car in the powerband. It'll be interesting to see what the engine goods, forced induction options, and suspension goodies the aftermarket would have in store for these GKs.

Overall, I'm really impressed with the GK. I was initially worried that the car could potentially be a flop due to being produced in Mexico but to my surprise it actually appears to be built much better than last gen Accord sedan... Which is a BIG jump for the Fit in my honest opinion when looking back on the two prior generations. I'm really eager to see what is in store for the GK generation Fit and hope to see some competing in Spec B races as well as autocross events.

No pictures of the GKs as of yet. I'll try to snap some tomorrow if I get a chance.

Last edited by Hootie; 07-27-2014 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Missed a few words here and there.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Hootie
........Overall, I'm really impressed with the GK...............really eager to see what is in store for the GK generation Fit ...........
That is one review that comes "straight from the heart". Unlike me who was convinced from only the appearance from day 1, nothing beats an actual test drive especially with your tracking background. When you know what to look for and can articulate that into written form, it provides an in-depth credible analysis.

There are still many doubters out there and the only way for them to turn the corner is, taking that one-on-one physical interaction with the vehicle itself. Do a TEST DRIVE!!!

Good effort. Next, you must test drive a manual and give your thoughts.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for sharing your review and test drive remarks!

One correction is that you are referring the the transmission as a 7 speed CVT. This is not an accurate description of the transmission nor how it operates. It is a continuously variable transmission. There are no gears and no fixed ratios in normal automatic driving. There is no "Change of gears" per say.

The sport mode allows the transmission to simulate 7 different ratios, selected by the paddles. But they are not functioning exactly like an auto-manual transmission does. I expect that use of this operation actually makes the car slower than it is in full automatic mode. I also expect, that unless your GD3 is modified for more power, once underway, the new Fit is actually significantly faster than your GD, but the CVT tends to mask this quickness, because you don't feel that kick in the pants during each gear change.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ROTTBOY
That is one review that comes "straight from the heart". Unlike me who was convinced from only the appearance from day 1, nothing beats an actual test drive especially with your tracking background. When you know what to look for and can articulate that into written form, it provides an in-depth credible analysis.

There are still many doubters out there and the only way for them to turn the corner is, taking that one-on-one physical interaction with the vehicle itself. Do a TEST DRIVE!!!

Good effort. Next, you must test drive a manual and give your thoughts.
I have my fingers and toes crossed for the 6 speed M/Ts!

Originally Posted by TCroly

One correction is that you are referring the the transmission as a 7 speed CVT. This is not an accurate description of the transmission nor how it operates. It is a continuously variable transmission. There are no gears and no fixed ratios in normal automatic driving. There is no "Change of gears" per say.

The sport mode allows the transmission to simulate 7 different ratios, selected by the paddles. But they are not functioning exactly like an auto-manual transmission does. I expect that use of this operation actually makes the car slower than it is in full automatic mode. I also expect, that unless your GD3 is modified for more power, once underway, the new Fit is actually significantly faster than your GD, but the CVT tends to mask this quickness, because you don't feel that kick in the pants during each gear change.
You'll have to drive a 2nd Gen CVT equipped Honda to really grasp this. Yes, CVT transmissions are based on constant variations BUT there are effectively speaking "pre-set tensions" when it comes to these transmissions. The best car I can suggest for you to experience this in is the '13 or '14 Accord Sport with paddles, if not a '14 Civic Non-Si. It is REALLY TRIPPY to experience when you mat your foot to the floor and physically FEEL the vehicle quickly yet constantly accelerate then how it effectively "shifts" from its power band down to its torque band.

Really, test drive one. Its legitimately trippy on the Accord Sport... Words cannot really explain it. And yes, my GD3 is actually modified for more power BUT the GK is a smidgen heavier as well. Might have to find out soon.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:57 AM
Try a nissan maxima 300 hp and its always in the powerband!

Imagine a Turbo with CVT...

Old 06-14-2014, 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by mecevans
Try a nissan maxima 300 hp and its always in the powerband!

Imagine a Turbo with CVT...
290hp, but i'll give you a break on the whole 300hp

Old 06-22-2014, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
Hey everyone, just finally getting a chance to upload pictures of the GK that I test drove! Enjoy. ^.^

Old 06-22-2014, 12:24 AM
I took a test drive in a 2015 ex today myself and I liked it well enough from a physical comfort and general driving/handling standpoint, but I was surprised at how noisy it was even compared to the 07 Fit my friend drove me to the dealership in. While the engine has an aggressive roar that i dont have too much issue with, there was still a good amount of road noise. I can see why many people prefer the Ford Fiesta as that car has an unmatched cabin in terms of isolation. I liked the side camera lane safety feature and the touch screen was cool. Fit is also the leader in interior space efficiency and utility. My other possible vehicle is the 14 corolla. Its a boring car to drive but it is also feature rich and rides well for what will end up being a daily driver in a lot of awful Hawaii traffic. I think it will come down to which offers me the best deal.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TCroly

I have no plans on using the paddle shifters. Not interested in feeling like it is faster, only that it is. So...leave it in drive at full throttle for best acceleration at full throttle? Correct?

And I can expect for the rpm to hover in the high rpm band constantly at WOT (Not rpm build/fall like normal autos). Correct?

Originally Posted by Hootie
Once at speed in town, the Fit was very well composed feeling just a tad stiffer (but very reasonable) than the outgoing GE8 when coming across bumps and dips in my typical test drive route. The CVT was buttery smooth when during shifts without using the steering mounted paddles. With the paddles active, you can still shift up and down manually with the gear selector in S or D range (D will revert back into normal auto) just like the GD and GE... Though with the GK, you cannot hit the rev limiter in S with the paddles active since for some reason the vehicle will automatically upshift for you before even hitting redline.
The part above in bold is why I was asking. Hootie test drove it and felt it shifting while not using paddle shifters. This led me to think it shifts while casually driving as well as when going full throttle.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 06-22-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
I have no plans on using the paddle shifters. Not interested in feeling like it is faster, only that it is. So...leave it in drive at full throttle for best acceleration at full throttle? Correct?

And I can expect for the rpm to hover in the high rpm band constantly at WOT (Not rpm build/fall like normal autos). Correct?
Hey hey, a bit late to reply (work and personal stuff kept me busy). I've only driven 2 GK5s for work but from what I have witnessed so far...

In most situations, I believe it would be best to leave the gear selector in either D or S and just flat foot (or regulate) the throttle so the engine's RPMs are constantly in its power or torque band depending on your throttle input. The "simulated shifting" that does occur in "Manual" mode (with the paddles active) is nice but the slight drop in RPMs during each one of those "simulated shifts" does drop slightly out of power/torque band... which to me, the car audibly SOUNDS like its going faster this way... but it does not FEEL like it is. I might have to do a few comparison runs just out of curiosity now.

The part above in bold is why I was asking. Hootie test drove it and felt it shifting while not using paddle shifters. This led me to think it shifts while casually driving as well as when going full throttle.
No, I did use the paddles on my test drive. With the paddles active you can feel (depending on how good your senses are) the CVT shift to another present "gear", "tension", or whatever people want to call it. Without using them (Full-Auto as I refer to it) the CVT transmission is VERY smooth almost to the point of being mind boggling if you're not familiar with this type of transmission.

I'm still waiting on a 6 speed manual model to come in by the way... so far I have yet to see one.