3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Anyone missing the Sport trim yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone missing the Sport trim yet?

Am I the only one missing the Sport trim level for the GK5?

I ask this question because the difference in standard equipment in the LX and EX seems like a broad jump in my opinion. Effectively speaking... to me it seems like the LX and EX trims are shooting for buyers who are either focused on the bare necessities of transport (LX) OR those interested in embracing/integrating technology and some luxury in the vehicle (EX & EX-L). BUT... what about those who want a model that isn't as bare as the LX but also not as advanced or sophisticated an EX? Something perhaps is more of a driver's car so to speak? (Requiring more driver engagement in other words like the Accord Sport vs. Accord EX)

By all means having a sunroof, Lane Watch, Smart Key, and "flashy" polished faced wheels is nice along with a touch screen radio unit... but after having access to them for a bit over a year I'm not really a fan of some of the extras that come standard on the EX and up trim levels.

What to scrap?

For starters ditch the 7 inch touch screen display. Yes, when using it with the navigation map, rear view camera or the Lane Watch it is indeed amazing! That's about it though... transitioning from screen to screen without using steering wheel controls can be a bit tedious since the user can't physically feel any buttons for inputs. Really, try setting radio presets without the steering wheel controls and one will can get a bit annoyed with hunting a double checking were on the screen they are pressing. Also... let's not forget about the volume control being touch sensitive as well. Requiring the user to either making multiple pokes for large changes in volume or to press hold and wait... Mind you, this is still a great unit but as far as engagement and usability a larger screened version (for back up camera) of the LX's audio unit would be nice.

Following that, the Lane Watch system can get booted as well. Another good system realistically speaking though; to me, its an unneeded/unwanted extra that'll be turned off via system functions and effectively be dead weight. Ex-nay this feature, save a little weight and possibly cash too if the passenger side mirror gets damaged and needs to be replaced (Aiming these is a tedious pain by the way!). Continue being an observant driver and mindful of your blinds spots then most people will be fine.

The sunroof is another thing that should be axed. Yes, it is GREAT to have to help heat escape the car on hot days as well as enjoy the amazing view of the sky... though that is about it. Let's keep the weight down and as low as possible, I'm sure that there are some enthusiasts or potential buyers that would like a GK5 with a little more meat and potatoes than the LX but not as tech savy/advanced as the EX+ trims.

Finally, ditch the Smart Key. Another good and convenient feature to have but to me it waters down the "driver's experience" with the car. Hopping in, press the foot brake and start button is nice... just not the same engaging vibe as sliding a proper key in, hearing the tumblers move into place, and physically turning that lock cylinder to start the car. This last one is more or less a personal preference though.

What to change?

If such a Sport trim level were to even exist stateside for the GK5, it would be nice if Honda took similar steps like that of the Accord Sport.

Exterior wise...

Something like a nice streetable but a little more aggressive wheel and tire combo. Say along the lines of a 17x7 wheel with a 205/45R17 high performance all season (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3) or summer tire (Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport). This way daily usability isn't compromised much if not at all, cornering grip is improved with wider/stickier tires, and ride quality stays somewhat intact.

In addition to that, turn down the bling factor a bit. Swap in the accessory front grill and with a semi-gloss black or gray hatch trim (instead of the gloss black or chrome). Put some darker perhaps gunmetal or Nimbus Gray wheels on. Make it simple yet tasteful, don't blend in like an LX and don't jump out for attention like the EX+'s polished & black combo wheels (no disrespect to either trim owners). Something that at a glance one would know is "different"... but can't quite put their finger on it. Maybe offer in a nice axle back muffler as well as an accessory like HFP for GDs and Mugen for GEs. While at it make Sunset Orange II from the RS model in Japan a Sport exclusive color as well.

Interior wise...

Again, it would be nice to have a similar interior package like that of the Accord Sport. Revised and exclusive seats featuring black fabric with red stitching... and maybe a little more support in the upper half for enthusiastic drivers and a leather wrapped steering wheel in the same color combo with thumb supports/grips (think GD Sport wheel) as well. Change up the gauge cluster and dash lighting as well, maintaining the red/amber and black combo throughout. Even offer an exclusive matching shift knob and maybe an accessory short shift kit (like the Mugen GE) for other driving purists out there.

Mind you... this is just my long winded ramble and opinion. Both the LX and EX trim Fits are great in their own aspects; but as someone who is function oriented and a bit more "analog", I'm not too keen on having extras options that will be rarely used or items that are effectively driver's aids (I.E. VSA, Lane Watch, back up cameras, etc.). Though thanks to the government stepping in, some of those items mandated to be in the car.

As of today, there is no knowledge of Honda wanting to produce a Sport trim of the GK5 here. If they were to release one though, I really do hope that it comes out along the lines that I have mentioned above.

Again, just my 2 cents and long winded ramble... What do you all think?

Old 07-11-2015, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
Only thing I really miss about my GE Sport is the leather wrapped steering wheel. Sounds like what you want is an LX with fancy wheels and Recaro seats. You could do that yourself, I suppose.

Me, I'd like to see a Fit SI, but I doubt that Honda will give it to us. The price would be a put off to most buyers of small cars and it would compete for sales with the Civic SI.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Only thing I really miss about my GE Sport is the leather wrapped steering wheel. Sounds like what you want is an LX with fancy wheels and Recaro seats. You could do that yourself, I suppose.

Me, I'd like to see a Fit SI, but I doubt that Honda will give it to us. The price would be a put off to most buyers of small cars and it would compete for sales with the Civic SI.
No, not quite. The Fit I had in mind is a cross between the EX and LX... Effectively a slightly stripped down EX with a hint of SI like touches and DNA from Honda's older Civic hatches. Keeping all simple and basic functional necessities with the few extra goods that would be used on a regular basis. In other words, ditch all the dead weight from Lane Watch and the sunroof, scrap the Smart key and touch screen radio, put a tasteful yet mildly aggressive wheel/tire combo on there that someone who does canyon runs or spirited drives on occasion wouldn't mind using regular/daily basis.

Again, effectively making a turn key vehicle that is more engaging for those who actually enjoy a (fun/spirited) DRIVE their car... not solely commuting somewhere in their car.

A better comparison to see what I'm getting at is by comparing either the Accord's LX, Sport, and EX trims OR the Ridgeline's RT, Sport, and RTL trims. Both Sport trims on these models get an upgraded audio system, revised interior, and have a larger than the base model's wheel and tire combos BUT with the Accord Sport in particular getting 18x8s ET+55s with 235/45R18 Bridgestones (2014 to now models), Goodyears or Michelins along with the Accord V6's catback exhaust as well. To most, it may seem like a watered down EX or a lightly tweaked LX but the trim level really is a nice, functional happy medium between the two.

An SI variant of the Fit would be nice and I could see one logically being about the same if not a smidgen higher than EX-L Navi GK5. The marketing issue to that though... How much power to give it? Honda wouldn't want to kill SI sales but wouldn't really want another flop like the Accord Crosstour or CR-Z.

I say if it were to be done, either a direct injected DOHC N/A 1.8 or a turbocharged version of the L15B... Maybe even the L20 without the IMA system from the Accord Hybrid. Who knows...

Old 07-11-2015, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
You've thrown out everything I love about my EX. So, no.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:28 AM
Your specs are very personal to your taste, as you eluded to in your post. I agree that it would be nice if all options were a la carte and not always in packages, that way everyone could get exactly what they want. However, as you know, that wouldn't be conducive to the all important bottom line. With that said, the Smart Key is one of my favorite features and I believe most people out there love the sunroof. As exl500 mentioned, I'm very happy with what comes standard on the EX-L and wouldn't want to part with any of it.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:33 AM
5 Year Member
Unfortunately, keyless entry, the upgraded infotainment system with Bluetooth, better upholstery, moon roof, lane watch and backup cameras were all key factors in my decision to trade my '09 for a '15.

I rather resent your somewhat snarky implication that people who "actually enjoy driving" shouldn't want or appreciate these features, too.

The total "driving experience" was a very important consideration to me (among other needs/wants), and I'm pleased that the GK manages to preserve this experience, while offering more luxury in the same package.

I still miss my leather wrapped steering wheel, though.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 07-13-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:19 AM
5 Year Member
My 2016 EX is still on order. I am disappointed that the EX does not get the same mileage as the LX. I can't imagine what feature(s) cause that. I'm considering switching my order just to the LX just to get the better mileage.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:27 AM
Heated mirrors should be standard on the American EX fits. I added those and the LED winkers myself. Also heated seats too should have been standard. I mean its a higher trim level, why not?

Old 07-13-2015, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by Press Fit
My 2016 EX is still on order. I am disappointed that the EX does not get the same mileage as the LX. I can't imagine what feature(s) cause that. I'm considering switching my order just to the LX just to get the better mileage.
Check out the fuel mileage discussions on this forum and you'll see that while the ex trim might have lower mpg on paper, but in the real world there is almost no difference vs the LX. Don't drop a trim level just for that. You will regret it.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
> Don't drop a trim level just for that. You will regret it....

This advice helps a lot. Thanks.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
Only thing I really miss about my GE Sport is the leather wrapped steering wheel. ....
Leather wheelskins wrap is great, but it takes 2+ hours to do a good install. I cannot live without it.

Link to my install.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:07 PM
jhn
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
Heated mirrors should be standard on the American EX fits. I added those and the LED winkers myself. Also heated seats too should have been standard. I mean its a higher trim level, why not?
No need for heated mirrors or ass warmers in my region. I'll take a turbo though

Old 07-13-2015, 03:16 PM
The Canadian EX really does feel a lot like my '09 Sport. But just the Canadian '15 Fit trim levels are quite good all around.

I was surprised to see the heated mirrors on all trim levels here. And the heated seats at the LX level. Overall I'm pleased with the total package

Old 07-14-2015, 06:38 AM
Originally Posted by jhn
No need for heated mirrors or ass warmers in my region. I'll take a turbo though
You're pretty lucky you don't need them, in fact the only option my wife asked for in a new car was the heated seats.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Hootie
Am I the only one missing the Sport trim level for the GK5?

I ask this question because the difference in standard equipment in the LX and EX seems like a broad jump in my opinion. Effectively speaking... to me it seems like the LX and EX trims are shooting for buyers who are either focused on the bare necessities of transport (LX) OR those interested in embracing/integrating technology and some luxury in the vehicle (EX & EX-L). BUT... what about those who want a model that isn't as bare as the LX but also not as advanced or sophisticated an EX? Something perhaps is more of a driver's car so to speak? (Requiring more driver engagement in other words like the Accord Sport vs. Accord EX)

By all means having a sunroof, Lane Watch, Smart Key, and "flashy" polished faced wheels is nice along with a touch screen radio unit... but after having access to them for a bit over a year I'm not really a fan of some of the extras that come standard on the EX and up trim levels.

What to scrap?

For starters ditch the 7 inch touch screen display. Yes, when using it with the navigation map, rear view camera or the Lane Watch it is indeed amazing! That's about it though... transitioning from screen to screen without using steering wheel controls can be a bit tedious since the user can't physically feel any buttons for inputs. Really, try setting radio presets without the steering wheel controls and one will can get a bit annoyed with hunting a double checking were on the screen they are pressing. Also... let's not forget about the volume control being touch sensitive as well. Requiring the user to either making multiple pokes for large changes in volume or to press hold and wait... Mind you, this is still a great unit but as far as engagement and usability a larger screened version (for back up camera) of the LX's audio unit would be nice.

Following that, the Lane Watch system can get booted as well. Another good system realistically speaking though; to me, its an unneeded/unwanted extra that'll be turned off via system functions and effectively be dead weight. Ex-nay this feature, save a little weight and possibly cash too if the passenger side mirror gets damaged and needs to be replaced (Aiming these is a tedious pain by the way!). Continue being an observant driver and mindful of your blinds spots then most people will be fine.

The sunroof is another thing that should be axed. Yes, it is GREAT to have to help heat escape the car on hot days as well as enjoy the amazing view of the sky... though that is about it. Let's keep the weight down and as low as possible, I'm sure that there are some enthusiasts or potential buyers that would like a GK5 with a little more meat and potatoes than the LX but not as tech savy/advanced as the EX+ trims.

Finally, ditch the Smart Key. Another good and convenient feature to have but to me it waters down the "driver's experience" with the car. Hopping in, press the foot brake and start button is nice... just not the same engaging vibe as sliding a proper key in, hearing the tumblers move into place, and physically turning that lock cylinder to start the car. This last one is more or less a personal preference though.

What to change?

If such a Sport trim level were to even exist stateside for the GK5, it would be nice if Honda took similar steps like that of the Accord Sport.

Exterior wise...

Something like a nice streetable but a little more aggressive wheel and tire combo. Say along the lines of a 17x7 wheel with a 205/45R17 high performance all season (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3) or summer tire (Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport). This way daily usability isn't compromised much if not at all, cornering grip is improved with wider/stickier tires, and ride quality stays somewhat intact.

In addition to that, turn down the bling factor a bit. Swap in the accessory front grill and with a semi-gloss black or gray hatch trim (instead of the gloss black or chrome). Put some darker perhaps gunmetal or Nimbus Gray wheels on. Make it simple yet tasteful, don't blend in like an LX and don't jump out for attention like the EX+'s polished & black combo wheels (no disrespect to either trim owners). Something that at a glance one would know is "different"... but can't quite put their finger on it. Maybe offer in a nice axle back muffler as well as an accessory like HFP for GDs and Mugen for GEs. While at it make Sunset Orange II from the RS model in Japan a Sport exclusive color as well.

Interior wise...

Again, it would be nice to have a similar interior package like that of the Accord Sport. Revised and exclusive seats featuring black fabric with red stitching... and maybe a little more support in the upper half for enthusiastic drivers and a leather wrapped steering wheel in the same color combo with thumb supports/grips (think GD Sport wheel) as well. Change up the gauge cluster and dash lighting as well, maintaining the red/amber and black combo throughout. Even offer an exclusive matching shift knob and maybe an accessory short shift kit (like the Mugen GE) for other driving purists out there.

Mind you... this is just my long winded ramble and opinion. Both the LX and EX trim Fits are great in their own aspects; but as someone who is function oriented and a bit more "analog", I'm not too keen on having extras options that will be rarely used or items that are effectively driver's aids (I.E. VSA, Lane Watch, back up cameras, etc.). Though thanks to the government stepping in, some of those items mandated to be in the car.

As of today, there is no knowledge of Honda wanting to produce a Sport trim of the GK5 here. If they were to release one though, I really do hope that it comes out along the lines that I have mentioned above.

Again, just my 2 cents and long winded ramble... What do you all think?

Bare bones LX? Has everything anyone could use, other than alloy wheels, and if I want those, I will pick my own and get them at a fraction of the cost. I had a '10 Sport, and the '15 LX is way better. Don't miss the Sport at all.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by GoBucky
Your specs are very personal to your taste, as you eluded to in your post. I agree that it would be nice if all options were a la carte and not always in packages, that way everyone could get exactly what they want. However, as you know, that wouldn't be conducive to the all important bottom line. With that said, the Smart Key is one of my favorite features and I believe most people out there love the sunroof. As exl500 mentioned, I'm very happy with what comes standard on the EX-L and wouldn't want to part with any of it.
Those differences are small things to me. I have had sunroosf, and have one on my Camaro. The electronics go out, and you are stuck, (if lucky, closed), with a roof window. I like the LX and its "old fashioned" knob radio

Old 07-14-2015, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by exl500
You've thrown out everything I love about my EX. So, no.
I was going to say, what he is describing is the LX as it is already. He could just buy the LX, and pay to customize it.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GoBucky
Yes, the items mentioned are a bit specific though thinking about it realistically it would be so simple to make a factory Sport model after skimming through Honda's parts catalog. Like said keep the fixed roof, axe the Lane Watch, toss in some CR-Z seats with a revised wheel/tire combo. These little things add up and make a nice, possibly lively change in overall feel for the Fit in my honest opinion.

While Honda doesn't really allow customers to spec their vehicles to order like other manufactures (they produce what they want, you trade/hunt to get it), they could have at least broadened the differences and options between the EX and EX-L a bit more then this current configuration especially after the noticeable jump in options when compared to the LX.

The Smart Key function is nice, I will openly admit and not mind having when I pick up my '16 EX later in the year. Though its one of many similar to the Fit features that I've been used to on family vehicles for at least 8 years and still usually end up preferring an old fashioned key blade to start the car.

Unfortunately, keyless entry, the upgraded infotainment system with Bluetooth, better upholstery, moon roof, lane watch and backup cameras were all key factors in my decision to trade my '09 for a '15.

I rather resent your somewhat snarky implication that people who "actually enjoy driving" shouldn't want or appreciate these features, too.

The total "driving experience" was a very important consideration to me (among other needs/wants), and I'm pleased that the GK manages to preserve this experience, while offering more luxury in the same package.

I still miss my leather wrapped steering wheel, though.
My "snarky" comment (as you feel it was) was coming from a more purist driving aspect (as I've said in my first post). I also didn't say a person wouldn't like said items, for those cases were they do the EX and up trims suit that bill perfectly. The thing that gets me as I've said before... if Honda can effectively do a very similar package configuration with their largest sedan and only truck, then they should have at least offered a similar package for their entry level Honda and only hatch currently on the market. Which again equipment wise, bridges the gap between the bare basics of the LX and the modern tech, comfort and convenience of the EX and EX-L. Bringing a vehicle that is naturally more fun or encouraging to drive spiritedly that isn't a stripped down base model yet also isn't immersed with comfort and convenience items.

Originally Posted by Vanguard
I was going to say, what he is describing is the LX as it is already. He could just buy the LX, and pay to customize it.
Not quite... the LX's rear torsion beam have a rear anti-roll bar were as the EX+ does, along with rear deck/hatch spoiler, standard equipped fog lights, alloys wheels, and more. Sure, by going with the LX some of these extra comfort and safety goods can be scrapped and the items mentioned added via OEM accessory or all via aftermarket... Though this isn't a subject of "What trim should one get and modify?" more of "What turn key GK5 model Honda is potentially missing out on with off the shelf/in inventory parts.".

Old 07-15-2015, 03:16 AM
Coming off my '09 Fit Sport. The Sport trim in that model line wasn't really a matter of getting the "sportiest" Fit, or only for "driving purists." The Sport trim was really just their high end trim level. As while it did feature the anti-roll bars, it was also the package with the upgraded stereo, leather-wrapped steering wheel, alloy wheels that didn't look like pizza plates, and so forth. Many good reasons why someone would get the Sport without needing any of the additional stability in the corners.

Having picked up my EX, I'm perfectly happy with the trim levels they have. And a big part of the pleasure of driving isn't about how you can have the most hardcore drive at any given moment. That's reserved for track cars, although some sort of Fit Si would be very neat

What I appreciate the most about the GK is that they still manage to keep some of that athleticism and joy that the GD and the GE are known for, but while softening the every-day motions you will be going through. The suspension is a little more giving over bumps but still limits body roll in spirited cornering. The steering is much lighter which limits fatigue during long drives, but still allows some road feel unlike many other electric steering systems. The MT clutch is certainly more vague but also much lighter, allowing the driver to more easily shift between gears (this is especially important in city driving). And the moonroof, while adding weight, allows one to bring fresh air into the car (or vent the car for audio purposes) without having to introduce a large degree of wind noise (and it's also safer for your ear).

So yea, perhaps as a driving purist I can see how one might be looking at a different package. But then again, as a driving purist, then you're likely prepared to modify the car to your exacting standards correct?

As for me, I certainly don't miss the Sport trim. I enjoyed every drive I had in my previous Fit. But the car I have now I am very happy with.

This might also have a lot to do with the Canadian trim levels also. The LX trim is rather well stocked and it's not nearly as harsh a jump from LX to EX. The DX is clearly the econobox version but even still it atleast comes with heated mirrors, Bluetooth integration, power windows and doors, and the rear camera. Certainly more then I was expecting for a base-line entry level car and would still be an excellent buy for someone on more of a budget.

Last edited by TacCom; 07-15-2015 at 04:19 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:17 AM
jhn
Originally Posted by Hootie
Not quite... the LX's rear torsion beam have a rear anti-roll bar were as the EX+ does, along with rear deck/hatch spoiler, standard equipped fog lights, alloys wheels, and more. Sure, by going with the LX some of these extra comfort and safety goods can be scrapped and the items mentioned added via OEM accessory or all via aftermarket... Though this isn't a subject of "What trim should one get and modify?" more of "What turn key GK5 model Honda is potentially missing out on with off the shelf/in inventory parts.".
No version of the '15 Fit includes a rear anti-sway bar. If you want one you'll have to go aftermarket and there aren't many Co's make them. They're hard to find. I found one designed for a different model Honda that is not offered in the states.

Both versions have the same spoiler.

Last edited by jhn; 07-15-2015 at 08:20 AM.