3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Is EX worth $1800 more than LX.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
Is EX worth $1800 more than LX.

I am planning to test drive LX and wondering if going for EX worth it. I am really liking bigger alloy wheels on EX. Not sure if they are worth paying $1800 more. There is also mpg penalty. Are there any differences with respect to suspension and engine.

I bought my 8g LX-P Accord without looking up lot of information. I was disappointed after coming across similar kind of thread for Accord where Honda made lot of changes for EX model (different engine, lot of extra suspension components, interior trim material updates, bigger alloy wheels and breaks, sun roof, audio, noise cancelling etc.,).

I am trying to educate myself before requesting quotes from dealer.
Thanks

Old 07-15-2014, 05:23 PM
Same engine. Noise cancellation might be different. You already know about the wheels but you should do a trim comparison on honda website- EX includes alloy wheels, sunroof, side view camera, push button start AND smart key entry, paddle shifters, different fabric on seats, dynamic guidelines on back up camera, floor mats included, 6 speakers instead of 4, larger touch screen, extra usb port, and fog lights.

So is it worth it is a question only you can answer for your own needs and preferences!

Old 07-15-2014, 05:30 PM

Old 07-15-2014, 05:33 PM
You can look at it broken down like this:

What would a sunroof cost as a standalone option? Usually it's a grand by itself from many car makers. +1 wheel/ tire package upgrade with alloys... You could price out this on tire rack. That's before you get to many of the other little things included. In my opinion, the EX is the sweet spot in terms of "value vs price".

Your view may be different.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by amy_wilhelmina
......is it worth it is a question only you can answer for your own needs and preferences!
Very well put.

For $1,800, IMO, its definitely worth the addition for the sunroof, perimeter entry/push start, tweeters, alloys etc....... The very slight differential in "published" MPG, in fact, is not a demerit, as many new GK owners on this forum are reporting results surpassing those figures.

For the sake of uniqueness, personally have spent over $3,000 on add-ons/accessories. It's a personal choice but still, ain't fooling myself cause I'll never see those funds again.

Mine will start out as an LX and will depreciate as an LX. There definitely is no added value to whatever add-ons are on it, while the EX will always retain its higher value for being a model-up.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:47 PM
Yes..I could do without the sunroof...but wheels..entry..bigger screen..plus more..ex wins hands down

Old 07-15-2014, 06:44 PM
Coming from a car that had the keyless entry and push button start, I would really miss those conveniences. The EX really is the sweet spot for goodies on the Fit. You have to decide for yourself, but I think the EX adds so much for a relatively small additional amount.

Of course if you want the gas mileage champ, go with the LX!

Old 07-15-2014, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
We decided the added features of the EX were worth the cost for us. I agree with others that we felt like the EX was the sweet spot of price to value. I would have also liked the turn signals built into the side mirrors, but I didn't want the leather trimmed seats, so we didn't think it was worth paying for that upgrade. The EX will do fine. Now we just need for it to show up!

Old 07-15-2014, 10:27 PM
I have worked on this for quite a while now, LX vs EX, and I have come to the conclusion that you are almost being foolish not to get the EX. I tried to have the LX win, but it just doesn't make financial sense. Now, if you are a person that does not care one darn bit about the car, you just want the cheapest thing you can get your hands on then of course the LX wins, that is a no-brainer. When you look at the crummy little wheels and covers of the LX against the very cool 16" alloys of the EX that is a big deal. You get a very large sun roof, that alone is a $1,000 option on most cars. You get the chrome trim on the front and rear of the car, carpeted floor mats. You get upgraded seat fabric. Higher watt stereo and 2 more speakers. Proximity key, 7" back up camera with moving guidelines instead of 5" with no moving lines on LX. You get the side view camera, which is a pretty cool feature. Fog lights. Like I said, if you want the lowest price and you don't give a darn, then the LX, BUT from a financial standpoint the EX is really the best bet for the small amount of extra money, I feel that the extra amount is so low in todays car market that I would advise any of my friends that it would be foolish to not get the EX. Now, this is just the opinion that I have come to, is it right or wrong, who knows. I have been known to be wrong before, once I think

Old 07-15-2014, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
Well, what do ya know, Honda's website has a nifty side-by-side comparison for what trim levels include what options:

2015 Honda Fit - Specifications - Official Site

Old 07-15-2014, 11:30 PM
from a financial standpoint you should buy a used car over a new car.

you can justify either car around extra money spent for extra features or saving money for fewer features. you're potentially buying a car you'll live with for many years so just think. if they were the same price which one would you want to live with.

if the lx and ex were the same price i'd still go for the lx.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by itsmycookie
from a financial standpoint you should buy a used car over a new car.

you can justify either car around extra money spent for extra features or saving money for fewer features. you're potentially buying a car you'll live with for many years so just think. if they were the same price which one would you want to live with.

if the lx and ex were the same price i'd still go for the lx.
Hey, could you tell me why you would take the LX if they were the same price, I am NOT being a smart azz, I have not made my purchase yet and maybe you can help me see somethings I am missing, thanks.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:10 AM
If it was $1200 more for EX and no sunroof, I might go for the EX, but $1800 is a bit much when the only EX upgrades that matter to em at all are the wheels and push button start and the lane watch camera for my wife. I really don't care at all for the touchscreen or the moonroof.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator
.........if the lx and ex were the same price i'd still go for the lx.
Am sure you have your reasons. I'd like to know what they are.

If it were me, at the same price, it would be the EX for sure - I mean, there ain't no choice.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by fitnew
Hey, could you tell me why you would take the LX if they were the same price, I am NOT being a smart azz, I have not made my purchase yet and maybe you can help me see somethings I am missing, thanks.
Alright, but keep in mind these are just my own ramblings of what I like and dislike in cars.

I would get different wheels for the car that are more my taste and keep the stock steelies for some winter tires. could always paint those steel wheel. those ugly hupcaps would go into the garbage.
I'm not really big on sunroofs. I've owned several cars with them in the past and mostly I wish I just had some extra headroom. My passengers end up opening them more than I ever do.
I'd need rubber floor mats or floor liners for the winter and they'd end up staying the car year round anyways so I would never see the carpet.
I don't like plastic chrome trim and the seat fabric is still just cloth.
I actually would rather the LX had no lcd screen in it at all. I will still turn around and look out the back window as I always have to backup. You can kinda put the blind spot camera with this as well. Also I would prefer buttons instead of a touchscreen.
Fog lights can be useful but almost all the time i see other drivers with them on it's not foggy and they're just blinding other drivers on the road.
As for any car/phone connections I don't use my phone while I'm driving.
the stereo difference isn't big enough for me to care about. while both systems may sound slightly difference they will be of similar sound quality as the 4 speakers in the lx are also in the ex + 2.

read up a bit about PMPO and RMS if you want more info about the audio.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
Very well explained. I can definitely see the point, especially with the wheels.
Cars with sunroof are more dangerous as the roof's integrity and rigidity is compromised. If one doesn't enjoy driving with it open, sunroof adds additional thing to break (leak, get stuck open).

I have fog lights on my 2012 sport and I've never needed them. EX helps people to make the decision on the emotional/psychological level (i.e. want vs need).

Old 07-16-2014, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ROTTBOY
Very well put.

For $1,800, IMO, its definitely worth the addition for the sunroof, perimeter entry/push start, tweeters, alloys etc....... The very slight differential in "published" MPG, in fact, is not a demerit, as many new GK owners on this forum are reporting results surpassing those figures.

For the sake of uniqueness, personally have spent over $3,000 on add-ons/accessories. It's a personal choice but still, ain't fooling myself cause I'll never see those funds again.

Mine will start out as an LX and will depreciate as an LX. There definitely is no added value to whatever add-ons are on it, while the EX will always retain its higher value for being a model-up.
^^^^^^
i'm assuming you are buying an LX strictly based on price? if that's the case why wouldn't you wait 6mo and find a used EX? as you said resale is king in higher trim, and even saying that i'd bet in 6mo someone (an idiot) will trade in their EX for a different car and take the "loss" in the shorts - thus giving you an advantage down your future road to happiness!

Originally Posted by Mike Houser
Yes..I could do without the sunroof...but wheels..entry..bigger screen..plus more..ex wins hands down
^^^^^^^
well said!

OP in my opinion go for the EX, as you probably know by now if you actually looked at the obove replys and should have done a little more research by now. but let me say this - in the past I have always bought highest trim, and every time I have sold my fits (never intended on ever doing anything but driving them both into the ground each time I signed on the bottom line, but say the improvements (in my eyes) and just had to have a new one.) I was able to get top dollar for both my fits and it padded the next purchase by 4 - 6 grand over what I still owed, that in its self should sway you in my opinion, not to mention
SMART KEY ENTRY, my S2k has push button start, but I have to put the key in the ignition and turn it still ** WHATS THE POINT HONDA?*** the fit you just get in and push the start button - SOOOO COOL!
7 INCH TOUCH SCREEN WITH DRAG AND PINCH TECHNOLOGY, LX has a non touch 5inch screen and less views on reverse camera.
ALLOY WHEELS ARE LIGHTER AND WILL HAVE SLIGHTLY BETTER TIRES, lower profile tires make the ride just a little more sporty and they look a tad (IMO) bit nicer.
LANE WATCH, lane watch ? huh how about cute girl watch (or dude watch, whatever floats your boat) it's supposedly a safety thing, I think of it as a distraction, but I haven't driven it YET
THE ENGINE'S WILL BE THE SAME
THE AUTO TRANSMISSIONS WILL BE DIFFERENT, as the EX will have paddle shifters on the steering wheel, I had these on my GD (07 fit) and opted for a MT on my GE (10 fit) and I will tell you I MISSED THE PADDLES even after three years in the 2010, it's so seamless to "blip" the down paddle when coming off the freeway, or approaching slowing traffic, it saves on gas and brakes, AND ITS FUN
THE MANUAL 6 SPEED TRANSMISSIONS WILL BE THE SAME
FLOOR MATS STANDARD, but only in the EX, you gots to buy them shits in the LX - LOL
NAVIGATION FITS ALSO GET - HD radio, SIRIUSXM radio, HEATED SIDE mirrors too

it's WORTH THE EXTRA MONEY IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT

Old 07-16-2014, 01:56 AM
Alright, but keep in mind these are just my own ramblings of what I like and dislike in cars.

I would get different wheels for the car that are more my taste and keep the stock steelies for some winter tires. could always paint those steel wheel. those ugly hupcaps would go into the garbage.
I'm not really big on sunroofs. I've owned several cars with them in the past and mostly I wish I just had some extra headroom. My passengers end up opening them more than I ever do.
I'd need rubber floor mats or floor liners for the winter and they'd end up staying the car year round anyways so I would never see the carpet.
I don't like plastic chrome trim and the seat fabric is still just cloth.
I actually would rather the LX had no lcd screen in it at all. I will still turn around and look out the back window as I always have to backup. You can kinda put the blind spot camera with this as well. Also I would prefer buttons instead of a touchscreen.
Fog lights can be useful but almost all the time i see other drivers with them on it's not foggy and they're just blinding other drivers on the road.
As for any car/phone connections I don't use my phone while I'm driving.
the stereo difference isn't big enough for me to care about. while both systems may sound slightly difference they will be of similar sound quality as the 4 speakers in the lx are also in the ex + 2.

read up a bit about PMPO and RMS if you want more info about the audio.
I have to say I agree with so much of what you are saying, I hate sunroofs/love having a volume knob/don't need fog lights/Lx gets full bluetooth streaming which is all I need. Oh I really need to get off of this forum and stop looking at these darn Fits for a week or two and let my head clear, who would think a car under $20,000 could give you so much to think about

Old 07-16-2014, 05:17 AM
5 Year Member
Availability plays a major role. The LX can be harder to find. We tired of looking and waiting, so when we located a "Passion Berry Pearl" EX yesterday (just off the truck that morning), we drove the extra 100 miles and purchased it. It was the color my daughter wanted, and is only available on the EX and higher trim, so for us, availability and color were the deciding factors. We did study the LX question, and could have lived with the base trim, but what fun would that be?

Old 07-16-2014, 07:13 AM
Does the EX have more noise insulation than the LX?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is EX worth $1800 more than LX.