3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Is EX worth $1800 more than LX.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 06:59 PM
There's a reason different trim levels are offered. "Worth" is relative to the person so you will get many opinions but if you're buying, you eventually have to make the decision for yourself. I don't think any of the trims are a "bad choice."

Old 07-31-2014, 05:13 AM
5 Year Member
Okay, the Sunroof's on Honda's don't really have much issues in terms of electrical or breaking. I drove my 04 accord ex all the time on Detroit freeways, where you would get pounded by rocks...chipped the same windshield three times in the past year. Nothing ever happened to the sunroof, nor has water leaked. Lx vs. Ex vs. Ex-l is your own interest and your budget.

Some questions to think about:

Do you use fog lights?
Would you like to modify the car later on?
Do you plan on keeping the car forever?
Do you like sunroofs?
Do you need the heated seats?

I just got the 15' Ex fit because I can't bear hubcaps whatsoever (If you think about putting on rims later on you'd still spend more money....why not stock rims on ex model?)

Originally, I didn't want to buy a new car, but then I got pissed off looking at various cars on craigslist and dealership. Craigslist people lie BIG time...(I'm quite a DIY handyman myself, and I know when a car gets tampered with. I am EXTREMELY picky. For example, I had an individual state the interior of his car was in perfect condition and paint is flawless. I come to see the car and noticed bumper all damaged, scratches on the car, dirty engine bay, interior leather with rips and just terrible interior. I just took literally 30 seconds and walked away.) To me it wasn't worth getting a used car at the stealership since the cars were high priced with so many miles. Mind as well spend an extra 3-6K on a new car.

(I URGED YOU GUYS NEVER EVER EVER EVER BUY A REBUILT TITLED CAR.... check https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck to determine if the car has been in a total loss or stolen. A title can be clean, but the vin won't be. BTW, DON'T waste money on carfax. TRUST ME. That doesn't do anything. I learned from my mistakes. Just take the car to a mechanic (Yelp a mechanic and see if they check cars for free....also the reviews help..I avoid anything below 4 stars) or pay the dealership to check the car or just check up cars yourself (If your willing to learn yourself, you can do it like I did)

Tips on used car:

Avoid

-bad paint
-rusty cars
-dirty engine bay/ rusty
-dirty interior
-Huge dents

Check:

-all fluids
-every single electrical item (Signals, buttons, lights, horn)
-Check both ac and heat
-bottom of car (Deduct money on major flaws or things you have to do....they don't budge walk away)
-check the suspension
-brakes(to me the brakes aren't big deal because I can change them....but know if the caliber pin is stuck or not...
Google it or youtube it)
-ask questions on maintenance (Do it before you check the fluids because this way you can know if they actually changed it....if they lie a single bit....walk away. I had a person state he changed transmission fluid, and I looked at the fluid, my god, was it pitch black. Normal color is pinkish red on the Honda)
-Check every gear on the transmission whether its auto or manual. D2, D3, reverse, overdrive...etc

I honestly spent a whole month trying to find a car in several states. People just disappoint me.

Last edited by Kdawgz; 07-31-2014 at 05:39 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:36 PM
This is a fantastic thread! So much info found here! Now I am more confused than before reading all this!

Old 01-02-2015, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by john21031
Cars with sunroof are more dangerous as the roof's integrity and rigidity is compromised. If one doesn't enjoy driving with it open, sunroof adds additional thing to break (leak, get stuck open).
I might have to disagree with your quote. Our 2012 Sonata is our 5th car with sunroof, they have not break, leaks, etc... Still working perfect since new.... Sorry to disagree with you again.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 15/SILVER/EXL
Get the EXL it's worth every cent. No regrets here. leather heated seats great comfort for winter or cold fall days! Lane watch, keyless entry, push button start, present technology, much higher future resale value.
Since I am getting EX-L for my ridesharing, I picked leather seats because they are easier to keep clean than cloth. My spouse and I always fight to take our 2012 Sonata with push start.... Can't go back to key turning technology!

Old 01-04-2015, 07:20 AM
Once again, a whole bunch of reasons why Honda should offer more options and not throw everything into packages!

I purchased my 2014 Ford Fiesta for these reasons. I indeed considered a 2013 Honda Fit. I build and ordered a new restyled Fiesta in November of 2013. Recieved my vehicle in Jan. 2014.

It was purely about options. I wanted leather interior. With the FIT, it was even offered at the time. I strangely wanted a manual transmission. Available in any and all trims levels with the Fiesta. Only available in lower trim levels with the new FIT model.
I work in the construction trade. Dusty and dirty or muddy jobsites, leather interior is so much easier to clean. Priceless once you have it! However, all that dust, I can easily do without a sunroof. I had it in previous vehicles, I don't miss it! With Honda I'm forced to buy it. With Ford Fiesta it's a stand alone option in any trim level except base model.

The previous FIT model did nothing for me. New model does nothing for me. My girlfriend wants a new FIT. We jointly are considering it.

It's to bad Honda would let you build what you want in a vehicle! And I think the price is very higj compared to competition.

I bought a new model year 2014 Ford Fiesta Titanium 5-speed manual. The Titanium package has push button start, rear back up camera, My Ford Touchscreen with Sync. Premium Sony system with Sirius radio. I want satellite radio with FIT I have hand another $1000 over to Honda! I choose beige interior instead of coal bin black like most vehicles. Once again, options, something Honda doesn't have.
I did not want sunroof. So, no sunroof, no Nav.

MSRP of my Titanium Fiesta was $18,800. With rebates and incentives at the time, I paid $17,170. To me this seemed a very attractive bargin over the fit. The new FIT seems overpriced to me and I get even get it equipt as I would like.

I just get sick of people thinking that Honda is the holy grail of vehicles. You will pay alot more up front for Honda FIT compared to competition.

My best option was not doing business with Honda. Saved me a pile of money!

Old 01-04-2015, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by cuemark8
Once again, a whole bunch of reasons why Honda should offer more options and not throw everything into packages!

I purchased my 2014 Ford Fiesta for these reasons. I indeed considered a 2013 Honda Fit. I build and ordered a new restyled Fiesta in November of 2013. Recieved my vehicle in Jan. 2014.

It was purely about options. I wanted leather interior. With the FIT, it was even offered at the time. I strangely wanted a manual transmission. Available in any and all trims levels with the Fiesta. Only available in lower trim levels with the new FIT model.
I work in the construction trade. Dusty and dirty or muddy jobsites, leather interior is so much easier to clean. Priceless once you have it! However, all that dust, I can easily do without a sunroof. I had it in previous vehicles, I don't miss it! With Honda I'm forced to buy it. With Ford Fiesta it's a stand alone option in any trim level except base model.

The previous FIT model did nothing for me. New model does nothing for me. My girlfriend wants a new FIT. We jointly are considering it.

It's to bad Honda would let you build what you want in a vehicle! And I think the price is very higj compared to competition.

I bought a new model year 2014 Ford Fiesta Titanium 5-speed manual. The Titanium package has push button start, rear back up camera, My Ford Touchscreen with Sync. Premium Sony system with Sirius radio. I want satellite radio with FIT I have hand another $1000 over to Honda! I choose beige interior instead of coal bin black like most vehicles. Once again, options, something Honda doesn't have.
I did not want sunroof. So, no sunroof, no Nav.

MSRP of my Titanium Fiesta was $18,800. With rebates and incentives at the time, I paid $17,170. To me this seemed a very attractive bargin over the fit. The new FIT seems overpriced to me and I get even get it equipt as I would like.

I just get sick of people thinking that Honda is the holy grail of vehicles. You will pay alot more up front for Honda FIT compared to competition.

My best option was not doing business with Honda. Saved me a pile of money!
I thought the same way until I saw the reliabilty record of the new/older Fiesta's, and went directly to Honda.....Again

Old 01-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by SR45
I thought the same way until I saw the reliabilty record of the new/older Fiesta's, and went directly to Honda.....Again
Some people value only cool features but not reliability. For me reliability is #1 feature, that's why I would never consider Ford. Especially if price is comparable to Honda.
However, I have my doubts now due to Mexico assembly problems. I might wait and see if the situation improves.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
I think the OP is hired by ford to advertize the fiesta. He isn't doing a good job though, most people only end up being angry at him and like their Fits even more.

I think ford fiesta is not a bad car but when there is Honda, I wouldn't BUY a fiesta... It's okay as a rental and it's good to know not every ford fan has to drive an F 150 or an escape. Let the people like OP drive the fiesta. He probably needs the satellite radio to listen to Rush limbo or some other nuts conservative he is addicted to.

When I open the hood of the fiesta, I am shocked by how messy the wiring is, just like it's a high school project.

Let's all enjoy our Fits!

Old 01-05-2015, 01:08 PM
When I open the hood of the fiesta, I am shocked by how messy the wiring is, just like it's a high school project.
My Mustang GT is the same way - wires and components arranged arranged in a chaotic way like a jungle. Sad to say but that's how typical American cars are under the hood...

Old 01-05-2015, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by ritholtz
I am planning to test drive LX and wondering if going for EX worth it. I am really liking bigger alloy wheels on EX. Not sure if they are worth paying $1800 more.
Yes, it's definitely worth $1800.

The "push-button-start" feature alone is worth that much IMO.
Who turns the key to start an engine on new cars these days?

Old 01-05-2015, 02:00 PM
I don't work for Ford. I have always had reliable service from all of my vehicles. I passed over the FIT as 2013 model because of features. I work in the construction trade and I drive a lot of miles.
I found the interior of the Fiesta to be more elegant and upscale. Frankly, the interior appeared cheap in the Fit. Same applies to the 2015 Fit.

I had leather in my previous vehicle, love it! I is so much easier to maintain. Easier to clean. Dirt wipes right off.
I wanted a manual transmission. Getting leather interior and manual transmission was an impossible combination with Honda Fit, and still is.

I drive upwards of 50,000mi/yr. I like my satellite radio. I use Pandora radio. Both sure beat FM stations fading in and out. Any of them sure beat the sound of the FIT engine puking it guts out at 3600RPM while cruising down the interstate.

My philosophy on the sunroof is that it's usually noisy when open and not worth the cost. They can be trouble if the get stuck open or ice up. I had one in a previous car. I don't miss it. I get four windows as standard equipment I can open when I want, paying the going rate of nearly $1000 to have a 5th window in the roof I can open isn't worth it to me. Also, the noise. I don't need the noise of wind buffeting in my right ear from the sunroof. If I have the option of not having to pay for it, I'm not!

Then I comes to interior. I really liked the different interior of the Fiesta with the beige interior and beige leather seats and beige door trim. So much better looking than coal bin black. The beige doesn't show the mud and dirt from a construction site. It's also cooler in summer. As, far I know Ford is the only vehicle in it's class that offers anything other than black interior. I couldn't imagine living in place like Dallas,TX or Phoenix, AZ and having black leather interior in the summer. Also I found the seats in the Fiesta to be a little more comfortable and supportive.

Outside of the Goth community, no one in right mind would consider putting black carpeting or black fabric sofa in their house. You won't even find black carpeting in carpet depot or home interior store. As an automobile consumer in the US I am somehow expected to pay for the crap.

I know plenty of people who had Sirius radio in vehicles. They didn't even want it! Seems to be standard equipment! They even got trial subscription and let run out. They only had because it came with the vehicle. Not Honda, they want a $1000 extra over the premium package to get it thrown in!

I not saying the Ford Fiesta is great or even good. Ford simply offered what I wanted and expected in vehicle.

If Honda would offer more options just think what could save you. If you didn't a sunroof and didn't want a CVT transmission, you could probably be driving around in FIT with leather interior for a lot less money. Probably even less than a current FIT EX w/ CVT. Throw in Sirius radio for a couple Benjamins, now you have decent vehicle.
I know there has to be some FIT owners out there who have the 6-speed and would have liked to have leather interior.

Just think, EX-L FIT 6-speed manual. No Nav, No sunroof, throw in Siirus radio, for a couple hundred.
The money saved on the sunroof, transmission, and Nav would probably pay for a supercharger or plenty of other trick parts.
Instead the fat Cats at Honda, probably spend that money on new diamond studded collar for their dog.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:12 PM
I won't lie, this thread makes it very tempting to go for the EX, but I will nonetheless be sticking with my initial choice of base LX. Most of what the EX offers doesn't add any real value for me personally, so while it might be a good deal for many, I agree with the poster above who said that he would much rather spend the extra $1800 on a vacation, or just funnel it into savings.
I also know too well how often I decide to pay "a little extra" for features I never end up using anyway. The older I get, the more practical I become!

As for the differences, I would be interested in LaneWatch and, to a lesser extent, dynamic backup guidelines, but the moonroof and absence of volume knobs is not something I want to have in my car. The remote entry and push button start are neat, but not something I would pay extra for. I also couldn't care less about the wheels or fog lights.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:19 PM
The remote entry and push button start are neat, but not something I would pay extra for.
I've gotten so spoiled not having to rummage through my purse for keys. It is one of those features I thought was a luxury until I had it. Now I'll probably HAVE to have it from here on out.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Zute
I've gotten so spoiled not having to rummage through my purse for keys. It is one of those features I thought was a luxury until I had it. Now I'll probably HAVE to have it from here on out.
Yes, I think it might have something to do with the fact that I've never had a car with those features, so it's something I can't really miss... But I also have a dedicated car key pocket in every purse I own, which keeps the rummaging to a minimum and I don't think I've ever been inconvenienced by that.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by cuemark8
Outside of the Goth community, no one in right mind would consider putting black carpeting or black fabric sofa in their house. You won't even find black carpeting in carpet depot or home interior store. As an automobile consumer in the US I am somehow expected to pay for the crap.
Hey, I resemble that remark. Can you pass me my eyeliner?

Old 01-05-2015, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Any one drove LX CVT and EX CVT cars side by side? Are there any differences in handling/acceleration. With the Accord, Honda used different suspension parts in order to make EX handle better. Is it the same case with Fit EX as well.

I am still thinking about getting fit. I looked at Leaf and Prius. Leaf suppose t be good for leasing instead of buying. Prius seems to be expensive and new model will be out by end of 2015.

Thanks

Old 01-05-2015, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cranraspberry
I won't lie, this thread makes it very tempting to go for the EX, but I will nonetheless be sticking with my initial choice of base LX. Most of what the EX offers doesn't add any real value for me personally, so while it might be a good deal for many, I agree with the poster above who said that he would much rather spend the extra $1800 on a vacation, or just funnel it into savings.
I also know too well how often I decide to pay "a little extra" for features I never end up using anyway. The older I get, the more practical I become!

As for the differences, I would be interested in LaneWatch and, to a lesser extent, dynamic backup guidelines, but the moonroof and absence of volume knobs is not something I want to have in my car. The remote entry and push button start are neat, but not something I would pay extra for. I also couldn't care less about the wheels or fog lights.
You sound like me!

I liked the volume knobs of the LX, and didn't like the fact that they were absent on the EX. My other favorite feature of the LX: price!

Features I like on the EX: Lane Watch (would be very useful in a city with bicyclists!), dynamic backup guidelines, fog lights maybe

Features I feel indifferent about:

- Moonroof (Civic I was using previously had one, we never used it. I'm not sure what they are there for? I could see how they might be nice if you used the Fit as a camper, and were curled up in your sleeping bag looking at the stars through the moonroof..??)
- Keyless entry/push button start (I've heard from everyone that once you have it, you don't want to go back, but since I've never had it, I don't care about it)
- Alloy wheels (I never notice wheels unless they are hideous (e.g. spinners)

Since price was the #1 factor for me, the LX won. If I were living in Seattle or Portland or some city with a lot of bicycle lanes & cyclists... then I might have spent extra to get the Lane Watch. I live in the suburbs of Minnesota though, so I thought, I will save money now and in the future when it is time for a newer car, then maybe lane watch will be a common feature :-)

Old 01-05-2015, 06:44 PM
I think the OP is hired by ford to advertize the fiesta. He isn't doing a good job though, most people only end up being angry at him and like their Fits even more.

I think ford fiesta is not a bad car but when there is Honda, I wouldn't BUY a fiesta... It's okay as a rental and it's good to know not every ford fan has to drive an F 150 or an escape. Let the people like OP drive the fiesta. He probably needs the satellite radio to listen to Rush limbo or some other nuts conservative he is addicted to.

Let's all enjoy our Fits!

Only the Fiesta ST is a good car. It has a powerful engine and the suspension tuning, with available Recaro's make it a pretty awesome package if you can live with shifting in daily drives. Non-ST owners will try to pretend they are at the same standards as the ST but they are not - not anywhere near the resemblance of one. The ST redeems the deficiencies of the Fiesta through its awesome engine and suspension. So if you aren't even getting that package, then you got a bottom rung car. Even ST owners shake their head and wonder who would want to buy the non-ST Fiesta because it is so lacking. Meanwhile, the Fit LX is already a great car, at the lowest levels so that's what makes it such a great buy.

Last edited by Gorilla; 01-05-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by wndy
You sound like me!
Yay, great to know you're not alone! Since my LX isn't actually here yet, every now and then I get a moment where I start thinking of how good of a deal the EX is, but then always go back to understanding that it's only a good deal if you value the add-ons. I personally don't, so saving money is the much better deal for me!

Also, we have quite a bit of bikers, but for some reason the right side has never given me issues... I actually struggle with the left spot while merging much more than I do with the right - my neck must be better at right twists.

Quick Reply: Is EX worth $1800 more than LX.