3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Purchasing out of state car for delivery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
Purchasing out of state car for delivery?

Would it be possible to buy a car from a dealer out of state and have it delivered to me? How about having a dealer here in town purchase a vehicle from a far away dealer for me? I'm looking for a particular model that won't be widespread for some time I assume, buy there are some available in other states. Any advice is appreciated, I will be visiting a dealer to see what my options are soon. Unless the floodgates open and White LX Fits start pouring in, I may have to go with this option. My current car is getting old.... Really old. (93 Ford Ranger)

Old 06-23-2014, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
If it's cheaper than delivery, how about buying a one-way plane or train ticket (even Megabus) to the out of state dealer and driving your new Fit home road trip style!

Old 06-23-2014, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
If it's cheaper than delivery, how about buying a one-way plane or train ticket (even Megabus) to the out of state dealer and driving your new Fit home road trip style!
Thought about it, it'd be a looong road trip, and I understand break in is supposed to be varied in rpms and whatnot, as opposed to a highway drone. That's a whole different subject, though.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by 8strung
Thought about it, it'd be a looong road trip, and I understand break in is supposed to be varied in rpms and whatnot, as opposed to a highway drone. That's a whole different subject, though.
That's what the blue highways are for!

Before you embark, though, do check your state's laws regarding importation of vehicles from other states.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
That's what the blue highways are for!

Before you embark, though, do check your state's laws regarding importation of vehicles from other states.
Typically, it's no big deal to buy a car out of state and drive it home and register it in your state. If you're intending to transfer your plates from another vehicle, some states let you just physically move the plates over so long as you complete the paperwork within some period of time afterwards (a week or two). If it will be a new registration, most states offer a "transit permit" or equivalent for use in getting a car you buy in the state back to your state for registration for a nominal price (and usually no sales/use tax).

You do have to make sure your new car meets emissions standards if your state follows the California standards rather than merely the federal ones—I think all Fits are "50 state" cars, so that's not a concern in this case. You also have to get insurance coverage before driving the new car home, of course, but that usually requires nothing more than a quick call to your agent to write up a binder.

The primary exception to all this that I'm aware of is Massachusetts, which neither offers a transit permit nor recognizes them from other states for their residents (but doesn't hassle out of state people passing through with them). The only legal ways to get cars into or out of Massachusetts is either to trailer/truck them or to get the paperwork, get a registration in your home state, and bring the plates back to the car—either one a major hassle.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:38 AM
5 Year Member
Cars are traded between dealers all the time. A Honda dealer can enter into the Honda inventory system and see where the vehicle you want is located. Then the dealer negotiates for it. Usually they negotiate a trade for something the other dealer wants. Then the dealers transport the vehicle or vehicles between themselves. New cars usually go by truck. Used cars are usually just driven.

The other way is to jsut go buy what you want and drive it home. The rules are not that complex. You follow the laws in the state where the vehicle was last titled or in the case of a new car with a C of O the state where it was sold. The dealer will know what to do. The only difference for the dealer is he does not collect sales tax on the sale. That tax is paid in your home state when you register your new car. All states that you travel through getting the vehicle home have to follow the laws of the state where the vehicle was last titled in or sold.

I have transported numerous motorhomes all of the US and the rules are as stated above. All states that I know of will require proof of insurance which usually is no big deal since you existing company will usually cover you automatically. You should call them and ask for sure.

A few states require you to stop when entering hte state with an unregistered vehicle. Utah is one.

There will be signs as you enter a state requiring you to enter a truck scale. They will just check your paperwork (Bill of Sale and insurance papers) and send you on your way. The last one I stopped at was in Utah on a coach transport from Michigan to California. The guy looked at the bill of sale and insurance and said "Michigan does not require you to have a plate or transport plate so I do not need to see the vehicle. Have a nice day." I was there about 3 minutes.

Where do you want the vehicle transported from and to?

Old 06-24-2014, 08:04 AM
If you go to a larger dealer, you might be able to tell them what you want and they could trade something in their inventory to another dealer for that car. That's what my dealer did.

Good luck! !

Old 06-24-2014, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
1. You can order one at your local dealer and wait for it.

2. You can go to your local dealer and say "please get me one." This will add to their costs, so don't expect a deal. They can either buy it or do a swap, either way there are more expenses and hoops for them to jump through, and if it's that rare the store that has it might not be willing to sell to another dealer.

3. You can find a dealer who has it and buy it from them. Now the hassles and expenses are on you. Decide how much it's worth to you to avoid that, go to your local dealer and see what they have to say. Who knows, maybe you'll be in your new Fit this weekend!