3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

LX Driving Impression

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 10:11 AM
LX Driving Impression

Many of the reviews noted the LX got better mpg thru underbody panels and saving weight with no sunroof and possibly less sound deadening. Is the sound deadening part true? I found the EX-L just a bit loud, and was curious if is more pronounced in the LX.

Also, anyone put any car seats in the back of the 2015's yet?

Old 07-08-2014, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
Most of us have concerns about unwanted vehicle noise. But we all do know that this is a Sub-compact being sold to a particular market with particular needs. The mfg.'s in this segment perform basically the same, in terms of those sounds. Off the lot, inside that cockpit, it will never be "quiet" like a luxury vehicle.

Finally drove an EX, yesterday. Pretty well-insulated compared to my previous GD. Just closing the door, its more of a thump rather hollow. Dealer still has no LX's on the lot and assuming its more "noisy" than the EX, there is a solution:

Dynamat together with, either 3M Thinsulate or Ensolite. Installed properly or professionally, you can make an vehicle;s interior close to "Lexus-like". For those who may doubt this, go to the auto stereo sites and scroll over what they do for installs for competitions. These guys take vehicle sound deadening/insulation to the next level!!!!!

Anyone notice we can't edit our posts????

BTW, guess where I learned about this? Just a couple of weeks ago, all from an FF professional stereo installer (Canadian, at that!!!). Ergo, my purchase of stereo upgrade items together with insulation/sound deadening products.

The negative about doing my planned mods to enhance/control sounds will definitely add 100 lbs. therefore will affect MPG. To what extent??? When my LX is finally delivered (Aug.) and the install is done (will take a week of work), Should get a real good picture by the end of this year and will post the findings.

Wonder if any GD/GE owners. who have done this can chime in

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 07-08-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:43 PM
I think that I'm possibly the only person that enjoys hearing the engine noise. It gives me a sense of connection to the car. Corny, I know. I don't find it so loud that it distracts my enjoyment of driving it. In fact, I feel that it enhances it from me.

I think that Rottboy's point about this not being a luxury car is pretty spot on. Most buyers in that segment want quiet and floaty.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator
xStitchx don't think I ever gave you my congrats on the new Fit. So here it is. Gotta post a pic. YOur PBPearl is a very hard-to-come by color.

To set the record straight, when placing my order for the Fit, I was happily prepared to live with it in stock form for at least another 7 years (as with my GD). Its only when I joined FF, where things started to get "bad". The current acquisition of add-ons is an addiction I'll have to address pretty soon before the wife finds out to what extent its exploded too!!!

Old 07-08-2014, 02:22 PM
Rott, I couldn't post a new thread or click on reply from last night till just getting on now. I could post from my pc because there is a quick reply box at bottom of screen. Them must be having some software glitches.

I had to connect a wiring harness to the tail lights for towing on a dolly behind our rv and this weekend while doing that had to remove the back covers on the sides, there is quite a bit of insulation added in there, it almost likes like diaper padding. I don't know what is so much different about the undercover on the LX but the ones on the EX cover pretty much all of the bottom. Made it a real pain to run a cable up front to the engine compartment :-/

Old 07-08-2014, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ROTTBOY
Anyone notice we can't edit our posts????

Yes, I noticed this. Thought it was just me.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Yes, I noticed this. Thought it was just me.
Nope, everybody, starting at about 9PM PDT last night. The only way to post was through the quick reply at the bottom. Everything else stuck at a blank screen. Seems to be fixed now.

Regarding sound insulation, I really wonder how much of it is in a Fit? Even taking it all out would probably only save 50 pounds and that would account for a fraction of a MPG.

Yes, one could add a whole lot of lead vinyl ("dynamat") and add 100 pounds to the vehicle, but that isn't the factory approach.

I would really love to know what tricks they actually did with the LX to produce an "economy leader" model.

Perhaps they simply used Hyundai/Kia's approach of self-reporting an inflated number, only being smart enough to limit it to a single trim level so all Fit owners won't have something to complain about.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
.......probably only save 50 pounds..............whole lot of lead vinyl ("dynamat") and add 100 pounds to the vehicle.........
removing factory insulation results in losing only 50 lbs with minimal mpg implications??? Conversely am hoping that adding the 100 lbs. of stereo/insulation add-ons will be slight as well. No one knows, but I will and will post my findings by year-end.

As for Dynamat being lead, must correct that statement. Its poly butyl which is a synthetic rubber-based product. There is no lead but covered with Aluminium sheet.

As for the LX having the MPG advantage over the EX for marketing reasons, its only there for the CVT versions. The M/T's are identical at 29/37/32.

The good news is from actual ownership from FF members who are current GK EX CVT owners, most are able to get close-too or surpass EPA LX mpg. ratings. That's pretty damn remarkable!!!

Looks like my LX will be getting MPG less than EPA when I'm through with modding it!!!

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 07-08-2014 at 06:31 PM.