3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Breaking in out of state new car with drive home

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 10:00 PM
All that.

Here:

Originally Posted by bbobynski
There is some fallicy in the ring breakin advice. I agree that the ring breakin to the cylinder walls happens very rapidly and your comment about the time to the haulaway truck is pretty accurate. The main thing that needs to breakin with the rings is the SIDE of the rings to the SIDE OF RING LANDS. That mating surface is critical for good sealing and the ring motion against the side walls and gas pressure loads against the side walls is what breaks in the rings to the ring lands. This is especially critical in todays engines that have the top ring closer to the top of the piston and that have hard anodized top ring lands for poundout and wear prevention. Hard anodizing of the ring lands leaves a "pebbly" surface when viewed under and SEM. That surface must be burnished smooth for good ring seal and the hard anodized surface is tough to burnish down. It takes load. To really break in the rings against the side of the piston ring lands it is helpful to apply full load for brief intervals and then allow heavy engine braking to load the rings the other way and cause them to move around on the piston so as to burnish the sides of the ring lands.

I often recommend a procedure that can be done on the expressway by putting the trans in a manually selected lower gear so that the car is about 4500 RPM at 45-55 MPH. Full throttle up too 5500-6000 and then lift and allow engine braking back to 4500. Do this 10 times and then drive normally to cool things off. Repeat. Do this several times on several consequtive days. This is excellent for braking in the rings or exercising the rings on an older engine that might have carbon deposits restricting ring motion causing poor oil economy.
Engineer at GM. From here:
2005 Corvette | Passenger Car Motor Oil (PCMO) - Gasoline Cars/Pickups/Vans/SUVs | Bob Is The Oil Guy

And just about everywhere else really.

You've got it right, just do what you're saying OP.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:41 AM
Originally Posted by 8strung
What are these "blue highways" you speak of? I've seen you use this term once before, but I'm not familiar with it. I'll be driving on the Interstate
The best explanation is here:

https://www.univie.ac.at/Anglistik/e...tHeatMoon.html

Old 07-26-2014, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
Alright, so I broke in my new White LX MT with a long drive from LA to TX, 320 miles. I tried to vary the rpms best I could and speed as well. Also did some engine breaking from 5500 to 3500 a few times for the piston rings. I accidentally revved hard and high on some down shifts as I got used to the car and tranny, hope I didn't hurt anything. Also had to squeeze the brakes hard to avoid a traffic jam. I didn't skid or anything, but grabbed them firmly. Basically I hope I didn't screw anything up with my stupidity, but time will tell. I figure if some people drag race their cars on the first day, I probably will be okay. Do fast rpm rises from driving MT hurt a new engine?

Old 07-27-2014, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
I broke in our '09 FIT m/t on the interstate by getting on and off every exit I came to. Great for changing engine speed and going up and down gears - fun!

Old 07-28-2014, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by 8strung
Alright, so I broke in my new White LX MT with a long drive from LA to TX, 320 miles. I tried to vary the rpms best I could and speed as well. Also did some engine breaking from 5500 to 3500 a few times for the piston rings. I accidentally revved hard and high on some down shifts as I got used to the car and tranny, hope I didn't hurt anything. Also had to squeeze the brakes hard to avoid a traffic jam. I didn't skid or anything, but grabbed them firmly. Basically I hope I didn't screw anything up with my stupidity, but time will tell. I figure if some people drag race their cars on the first day, I probably will be okay. Do fast rpm rises from driving MT hurt a new engine?
It will be fine, don't worry. A few full throttle applications are good for the rings, prolonged hooning is not. Same goes for brake pads. My car had 1 mile on it when I took it for a test drive. If you don't think I tested WOT 1-3 gear a few times you'd be wrong. I have 100k miles with very little oil consumption over 10k mile drain intervals. I just changed my front pads at 97k miles and rotors are not warped and still serviceable.

Originally Posted by dlallen
I broke in our '09 FIT m/t on the interstate by getting on and off every exit I came to. Great for changing engine speed and going up and down gears - fun!
That's pretty clever

Old 07-29-2014, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spaceballs
The Owner's Manual only has a line about not accelerating too rapidly or braking too rapidly for the first 600 miles. Why all the comments about varying speeds?
It's really no big deal with newer engines. I drove mine 199 miles home from the dealer yesterday. The Honda manual is right.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:46 AM
Question: The dealers around me all have been receiving Fits of all colors and models. Why go so far away to get one, and make the long drive home in the first place? Are other areas NOT getting Fits?

Old 07-29-2014, 01:29 PM
I wonder if a good break in could be like a lovely honeymoon. A sweet 600 miles filled with exciting memories. Something special to keep happy Fit owners from straying to other car lots.
We all over think these issues until we pass freak for fanatic.
Gotta go, going to drive my '13 Base Auto in Taffeta White to Chiropractor. I might put it in D3 for part of the drive!!!