3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Torn! MT? CVT? Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 11:20 AM
m_x
Torn! MT? CVT? Fit?

Hello everyone! New to the forums, new to the Fit. First post.

I know that this has been discussed (at some length), but I still have questions. I currently drive a 2002 V6 Mustang w/ 86,xxx miles on it. It's been a good car, but little things are starting to go and it only gives about 20mpg with 80/20 highway/city driving. I commute 50 miles round trip everyday, with 40 of those miles are highway (i-95, 70mph limit). Also, I want to leave flatland Florida for a different climate (Colorado!) and I do NOT expect this RWD monster to handle snow. It's time for a change. I want better fuel economy, more up-to-date tech, and at least the most basic ability to handle some weather (Mustang hydroplanes like crazy). So I found the Fit, and I'm fairly decided on it. (I'd be lying if I said Refresh Mode wasn't my favorite feature hahaha)! It offers a lot for <$20k!

This is getting long and I'm sorry...

I want the manual transmission (I think). Mainly, I have concerns about the long term reliability of the CVT. I was reading the CVT in the Accord had some serious issues and to my uneducated-yet-internet-studying brain, the CVT seems like a lot of moving parts to have function for 100,000k+ miles without issue. I did test drive the CVT and thought it performed well, but I still have reliability concerns. I expect the manual to be a) (much) more fun to drive and b) more reliable in the long run (based on pure speculation). Waiting to test drive MT...

I've read these forums for weeks now. I know about the high revs on the highway and I'm ok with that. I've read mixed opinions on snow performance and think I can cross that bridge when I get there. HOWEVER, I was just reading a few threads about premature clutch failure on GD's and GE's that have me a little concerned. People talk about needing $$$$$ clutch replacements around 50k miles (or less!), which to me seems waaaaay early. I probably won't even have paid off the car at that point.

It IS a cheap car, and it IS all new from an all new plant. And not for anything but, Hershey chocolate from Mexico is NOT the same as from PA; maybe cars will be equally inferior?

I'm wondering, are clutch failures common? I wouldn't drive it too hard, but I'm sure I would put it through it's paces at times. I mean... (this guy cracks me up).

TL;DR
Excluding fun to drive and racing advantages, in terms of sheer long term reliability, CVT of MT? (Please don't say to search the forum, I've already read it.)

Old 07-10-2014, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
I haven't heard about clutch failures on previous gen MT Fits. As any consolation, my brother in law's GE has over 100k on the stock clutch and it runs as it's still new.

The only thing I didn't like about manual, is the clutch is super light and the shifter does not give any engaging feeling(for the GE, I have not test driven a manual GK yet and ordered one after test driving only a CVT).

I chose manual as my previous cars have all been manual and I did not like the CVT upshift. Feels weird having the revs stay put as the mph climbs. However, using the paddle shifter to downshift when approaching a corner or to slow down works very well. Rev matches and is very fast on the downshift.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:37 PM
I think CVTs are more suited to smaller cars, like the Fit. I've read about the same CVT issues in the Accord, and they seem to be hit or miss.

I came from a V6 (AT) Accord to the Fit with the CVT, and so far, so good. I'm very pleased with it. I have every confidence that it's a solid transmission. It feels responsive and peppy. I thought that I'd miss the V6, but I don't.

On one of the many Honda forums I read, someone once made this statement when comparing car manufacturers: Honda is an engine manufacturing company. They make engines. All others are car companies.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:44 PM
100k on my GE clutch, still bites when dumped, can start in 2nd gear, can accelerate in 5th going slower than I probably should be accelerating in 5th, no problems whatsoever.

Some people can drive stick and some people know how to drive stick, there is a difference. I suspect "early" clutch failures are mostly bad habits. The previous owner of one of my other cars fried the clutch at 60k, I have friends with the same car with 150k on the stock clutch. It's easy to say it's a defect but where there are humans operating things, there will be errors. That is much more likely.

The GE clutch and shifter are good, at least better than most in the class i've messed with besides the Mazda 2 I think... they take a little getting used to, but they do their job just fine once you do. The GE 1-2 is a little crunchy though lol It seems they fixed it a little on the GK.

I've never driven a CVT, and I probably never will as long as I have a choice, so my opinion on either or is biased and I won't bother.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by m_x
Hello everyone! New to the forums, new to the Fit. First post.

I know that this has been discussed (at some length), but I still have questions. I currently drive a 2002 V6 Mustang w/ 86,xxx miles on it. It's been a good car, but little things are starting to go and it only gives about 20mpg with 80/20 highway/city driving. I commute 50 miles round trip everyday, with 40 of those miles are highway (i-95, 70mph limit). Also, I want to leave flatland Florida for a different climate (Colorado!) and I do NOT expect this RWD monster to handle snow. It's time for a change. I want better fuel economy, more up-to-date tech, and at least the most basic ability to handle some weather (Mustang hydroplanes like crazy). So I found the Fit, and I'm fairly decided on it. (I'd be lying if I said Refresh Mode wasn't my favorite feature hahaha)! It offers a lot for <$20k!

This is getting long and I'm sorry...

I want the manual transmission (I think). Mainly, I have concerns about the long term reliability of the CVT. I was reading the CVT in the Accord had some serious issues and to my uneducated-yet-internet-studying brain, the CVT seems like a lot of moving parts to have function for 100,000k+ miles without issue. I did test drive the CVT and thought it performed well, but I still have reliability concerns. I expect the manual to be a) (much) more fun to drive and b) more reliable in the long run (based on pure speculation). Waiting to test drive MT...

I've read these forums for weeks now. I know about the high revs on the highway and I'm ok with that. I've read mixed opinions on snow performance and think I can cross that bridge when I get there. HOWEVER, I was just reading a few threads about premature clutch failure on GD's and GE's that have me a little concerned. People talk about needing $$$$$ clutch replacements around 50k miles (or less!), which to me seems waaaaay early. I probably won't even have paid off the car at that point.

It IS a cheap car, and it IS all new from an all new plant. And not for anything but, Hershey chocolate from Mexico is NOT the same as from PA; maybe cars will be equally inferior?

I'm wondering, are clutch failures common? I wouldn't drive it too hard, but I'm sure I would put it through it's paces at times. I mean... (this guy cracks me up).

TL;DR
Excluding fun to drive and racing advantages, in terms of sheer long term reliability, CVT of MT? (Please don't say to search the forum, I've already read it.)

we've seen a couple of early clutch required but in every case it was predictable. The drivers abused the clutch by intent or lack of skill.Fits can bveeasily abused thanks to a high reving engine and the desire to get away quick.
The CVT is probably the best for reliability as we've not seen one fail and several MTs trashed. Usually clutches and the cost runs about $1500. Take into account the CVT needs less rpm from the engine, gets better mpg, and is a big plus when you sell your Fit or trade it in and MT is a fun or show off attribute. With paddles all the shifting allure is still there pretending to be Vittel or Haminton.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
As far as snow goes, I can't speak for the GK, but my GE handles beautifully in snow, with the stock tires.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
I beat the crap out of my clutch as a second owner (first owner towed stuff) and it lasted 80k.
I'm not sure how you may like the lack of power on those rockies. Consider awd, like an impreza, before any purchases.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
I just have to reply!

I have owned both a AT GD3, and a MT GE8

here is my .02

paddle shifters (07 GD) were missed even after three years into my 10 GE ownership, but mostly for the downshifting reasons (coming off the freeway, or approaching slower traffic) however loved the zippiness of the MT over the AT all day, but found myself reaching for the paddles even after the above stated 3 years of ownership of the 10 MT

I have not driven ANY CVT in any car so i'm not sure how it feels compaired to a "regular"Auto trans, but to dash your fears of "reliability" I have worked for a Honda dealership for 16+ years in the parts department and can count the number of 4cy "regular"AT failures in those 16 years on two hands (seems pretty bulletproof to me)
I tracked both my fits on a 2.5 mile long road course OVER and OVER in the 6+ years I owned them and never had a problem with clutches, or check engine lights (hot trans fluid?) on either
video if interested
pics of us on track (just look at pics - a whole lot o jibberish in between)
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/utah...come-join.html

Honda is putting a lot of eggs in one basket using CVT's on all 4cy AT's now and with their meticulous nature in the past to launch with as little problems as possible they just might just come out as the next easter bunny!
we haven't had a single accord CVT warranty claim yet (knocks on wood) which is great in my opinion.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:17 AM
m_x
Thanks for weighing in guys! I really appreciate your advice and that you stuck with me through that long post!

It's nice to hear of a some long lived clutches out there. Though if you search "clutch" on this forum, there are more than a few people describing early problems with the clutch that results in replacing it all together; some as early as 7k, but most between 40-50k. Mainly they describe bad master/slave cylinders that cause it to not fully engage and wears the friction plate, and then the dealer says it's abuse and not warrantied. Maybe I am just paranoid as this is my first new car and is far and away the most expensive item I've bought. I definitely can drive stick and would like to think that I know how to, but as i research these problems I get the feeling that I don't know anything about how MTs actually work.

I had considered AWD and looked around for an impreza. New, it's out of my budget and the older used models are said to get poorer than advertised fuel economy (I'm sure it is worth the cost if you often need awd). I know there times I'll wish i had a little more power and AWD but I'm betting there will be more often times that I wish i was getting 30+mpg. And the fit certainly has the people/cargo room (at least) for some outdoor adventures.

vtecfit1 - Would you be able to generally comment on the quality of Honda's clutches? I'm not so much worried about the actual tranny, I just don't want to be facing problems with a clutch. Is CVT a more reliable option?

Does Honda use belts or chains in their CVTs?

Old 07-11-2014, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by m_x
.......this is my first new car and is far and away the most expensive item I've bought.............
Here a different approach.

Instead of focusing on what type/model of car you want (reliability/maintenance etc....), identify yourself and your needs carefully. Thinking is good but put it down on paper.

All the guys will give you their points of view, suggestions and impressions on what "we" think (based on actual personal experience) may fit you best but the finality is based solely on your shoulders.

Since this is your first new car and the most expensive you should keep all your cash and consider leasing/financing instead. This will allow you to venture into vehicles above the Fit's category therefore your quest for more power will be addressed. Additionally, since I assume your younger than an old fart like me, it will help build your credit rating.

The good thing about leasing Honda's (through Honda Finance), especially the Fit, they're worth more than the residual value once the lease is over. The option to purchase is likewise there.

As for vehicle reliability concerns, getting anything new will come with a 3 yr. warranty so that would cover most items. Since the clutch is a wearable item, we can't see how you actually drive so maybe ask one of your buddies who is an MT guy(s) and see what he (they) think.

All vehicles are mechanical and man-made. A 100% unproblematic vehicle is possible but not a certainty!!! Warranty protects you for the first three years, the FF forum will cover the succeding years if you get a FIT!!! So many guys here know what they're doing and have no problems sharing with the rest.

Hope this gives you a different perspective. Good luck in your search. IMO, hoping you decide on a Fit.

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 07-11-2014 at 10:44 AM.