General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

exactly, who's faster between 5AT and CVT

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 09:15 AM
exactly, who's faster between 5AT and CVT

Hi there...

i just want to know that someone who has the result of these two automatic transmission. Coz, there are so many theory that has the different opinion, sometimes CVT has better performance (not the smooth-driving), in other words, 5AT is better (with the same engine)

So, which one is better from the performance aspect?

*WITHOUT comparing to the MT*

Old 11-19-2007, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't driven a CVT car yet...but from what I know, it seems that CVT isn't really geared towards performance...I'm just saying this based on what I have read, just the idea of keeping the engine at a constant RPM while seemlessly changing gear doesn't excite me at all....now...if we replace CVT with DSG.....: P only a dream...

Last edited by diedwater; 11-19-2007 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:23 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by epin
*WITHOUT comparing to the MT*
Awwwwww there goes all my fun

Old 11-19-2007, 02:30 PM
according to a few websites, the cvt does the 0-60 sprint in 11.7 seconds. In theory, the CVT should be faster because the engine remains at exactly the optimum revs for maximum acceleration the whole way up to 60. In practice, I think some power is lost in the auto transmission so I don't think there is much in it. Anyone know the figure for the 5AT box?

Old 11-19-2007, 02:32 PM
Retired Moderator
Ehh im not a fan of CVT, it really just drives me crazy how the engine just stalls at one rpm and stays there, ive seen some videos of Altima coupes with CVT. I would think the CVT would be a tad faster?

Old 11-19-2007, 02:46 PM
I went on Wikipedia but the article read like this after awhile:

ちなみに、アップしたのは二ヶ月前だけど、メッセージの中でも触れたように、撮影したのはちょうど二年前の 今頃。のレコーディング中だったの。 22歳と24歳。 変わったかな? これからも、皆さんからの情報を基に発展させてブログ · 愛車紹介 · おすすめスポット · オークション

From Wikipedia:

Advantages and drawbacks
Compared to hydraulic automatic transmissions:
  • CVTs can smoothly compensate for changing vehicle speeds, allowing the engine speed to remain at its level of peak efficiency. They might also avoid torque converter losses. This improves both fuel economy and exhaust emissions. However, some units (e.g., Jatco "Extroid") also employ a torque converter. Fuel efficiency advantages as high as 20% over four-speed automatics can be obtained.
  • CVTs have much smoother operation. This can give a perception of low power, because many drivers expect a jerk when they begin to move the vehicle. The expected jerk of a non-CVT can be emulated by CVT control software though, eliminating this marketing problem.
  • Since the CVT keeps the engine turning at constant RPMs over a wide range of vehicle speeds, pressing on the accelerator pedal will make the car move faster but doesn't change the sound coming from the engine as much as a conventional automatic transmission gear-shift. This confuses some drivers and, again, leads to a mistaken impression of a lack of power.
  • Most CVTs are simpler to build and repair [citation needed].
  • CVT torque handling capability is limited by the strength of their belt or chain, and by their ability to withstand friction wear between torque source and transmission medium for friction-driven CVTs. CVTs in production prior to 2005 are predominantly belt or chain driven and therefore typically limited to low powered cars and other light duty applications. More advanced IVT units using advanced lubricants, however, have been proven to support any amount of torque in production vehicles, including that used for buses, heavy trucks, and earth moving equipment.

Last edited by HapaLynai; 11-19-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
I rented a Dodge Caliber CVT earlier this year. It was the weirdest feeling ever. I mashed the pedal to the floor and needle goes near redline without bouncing off of it and stays there while constantly accelerating. It was very alien to me.