2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Cvt, 5at, 6at?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
Cvt, 5at, 6at?

Hey y'all, I own an 11 Base.

Kinda bummed to find out that Fit's outside of the US have Continuously Variable Transmissions as an option. There are even two types of CVT - the standard CVT and the upgraded CVT 7. I've heard rumors that the 12 FIT will have a 6AT.

Does anyone have a fit with CVT ???
Do you think CVT would increase the mileage substantially over the 5AT ???

I'm guessing the 6AT will add a couple of MPGs to the highway EPA estimates, which the fit needs to do to remain competitive in specs with the Fiesta.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:24 AM
The highway EPA estimates will probably remain the same. The FIT has no trouble maintaining MPGs at under 65 mph, which is 5 mph over EPA top speeds Regulatory Announcement: EPA Proposes New Test Methods for Fuel Economy Window Stickers | Fuel Economy | US EPA. However, it'll probably knock off a few MPGs at the high end.

The problem is that our FITs are relatively light, with a fairly high cross-sectional area. This increases the effect of air resistance at higher speeds.

CVTs would most likely increase the mileage by quite a bit, unless they are calibrated for performance rather than efficiency. However, I couldn't tell you actual numbers, and I'd say that most numbers stated will be pure speculation.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
itsthewoo -

i was checking out that epa stuff via yer link and went to this
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/guides/FEG2011.pdf

and found out that the EPA considers the fit to be a small station wagon

Old 06-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Sloppy
itsthewoo -

i was checking out that epa stuff via yer link and went to this
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/guides/FEG2011.pdf

and found out that the EPA considers the fit to be a small station wagon
I wouldn't be surprised if that was simply their category for all hatchbacks.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ItstheWoo
I wouldn't be surprised if that was simply their category for all hatchbacks.
the EPA pdf lists the Ford Fiesta / Toyota Yaris / Scion XD in the "subcompact" section and the nissan versa in the "midsize" section.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Our CVT in the Altima was nice on the highway and that's the route I think i'd go if I needed a non-manual gearbox. The altima for me became very boring and the lack of a clutch/shifter combo was I think part of the key reason for that. Although bigger than what I was used to, the altima was still relatively sporty... but the cvt made the car numb. Then again, on the highway where you are commuting, it made a decent difference in economy and smoothness in driving with the cruise on. Besides that, I'd rather a 5MT. Choice between an AT & CVT... I'd say CVT.

~SB

Old 06-23-2011, 08:08 PM
I have had Civic HX, Audi A4, & now Subaru Outback. W CVT. Great advance in automatic transmissions. I have often wondered why Honda decide to offer the 5 spd AT vs the CVT in NA. I suspect that the CVT would be faster & more fuel efficient than the 5 spd AT. I would have preferred the CVT.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by danlisahall@comcast.net
I have had Civic HX, Audi A4, & now Subaru Outback. W CVT. Great advance in automatic transmissions. I have often wondered why Honda decide to offer the 5 spd AT vs the CVT in NA. I suspect that the CVT would be faster & more fuel efficient than the 5 spd AT. I would have preferred the CVT.
More fuel efficient, i'd agree. faster, i wouldn't think so. CVTs on other vehicles such as the altima we had had more parasitic loss through the transmission than the previous generation Auto. Our Altima was faster than the Auto altima of the previous gen but there was a greater gap between the current Gen Manual & auto vs the previous Gen manual & auto.

The CVT was a more comfortable transmission for cruising but sporty it was not.

~SB

Old 06-23-2011, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
No choice for a 6MT?