3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Is EX worth $1800 more than LX.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by oman
Wife hates, hates, hates, my new EX, and is putting a damper on my enjoyment, frankly. She took it for a test drive this evening, and essentially took it out the garage, around the block, and back to the garage. "I can't deal with the screen or the keyless" she says.
. . . . . Oh well, looks like we won't be sharing. Which may have been my plan all along....
Hmmm. Very sneaky! Looks like the plan worked, at least for the moment.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by oman
Wife hates, hates, hates, my new EX,
My wife hates my old 'ex' too. So at least we can say we in the same boat.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
Did a short test drive on with EX red color. May be because it is internal road, but car felt bit like driving Prius. Steering is too light. EX has lot of hard plastic. I did not notice any premium interior accents which Honda offers with EX for other models. I am yet to check LX. According to dealer, both of them have similar quality of interior except for seats and different screen setup. Wheels are nicer in pictures than looking on actual car ( large wheel gap).

Best thing is interior space. Enough space in both the front seats and back seats for two adults and two kids with car seats. Dealer quoted me $20k + and tax for this car. I did not even bother to ask anything more. I will test drive again both the trims with some other dealer.

Last edited by ritholtz; 07-23-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
Today I went to test drive LX version to some other dealer.But it sold out by the time I reach there. So, I test drove EX in black color. I took it on to faster road. It felt nice once I started driving faster. Steering also felt nice while moving fast compared to when car is idle. Speedometer also shows green/blue colors based on the fuel consumption. Car looks great in black color as well.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:37 AM
I'd go the LX.
Wouldn't want the sunroof at all. This would be the decider for me.
Other knick knacks can be added as required later.
I have a GE Jazz Vibe S with factory 16x6 +55 alloys and they are heavy cast items.
I certainly wouldn't want to pay to get them.
The 185/55 R 16 factory Dunlop's aren't any good either.
Save your money for some decent lightweight wheels and quality tires.
I'm now running 205/50 R 16 with much better grip. (Lots of corners where I live)
I will pay a penalty in fuel consumption though, but I don't care.
Only drive 5,000 km/year.

Last edited by Malibu Q; 07-25-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Malibu Q
I'd go the LX.
I have a GE Jazz Vibe S with factory 16x6 +55 alloys and they are heavy cast items.
I'm now running 205/50 R 16 with much better grip. (Lots of corners where I live)
Mine came with Bridgestones...a much better tire for sure

Old 07-25-2014, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
I'd go the LX.
Thanks for the information. Considering very light steering, it is not that important to go one up with wheels. I am not sure why Honda is not adding those aero parts to EX to match LX mpg. I am seeing lot of cars with corroded steel wheels (lot of camrys) in my area. Is there maintenance cost associated with steel wheels which i need to factor in my purchase decision.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by ritholtz
Thanks for the information. Considering very light steering, it is not that important to go one up with wheels. I am not sure why Honda is not adding those aero parts to EX to match LX mpg. I am seeing lot of cars with corroded steel wheels (lot of camrys) in my area. Is there maintenance cost associated with steel wheels which i need to factor in my purchase decision.
Keep them clean, repaint when the paint starts to fade. I have the original steelies in my 1960 VW Beetle, and they are still going strong, with no rust.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Mike Houser
Mine came with Bridgestones...a much better tire for sure
So did mine.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Argentum
Keep them clean, repaint when the paint starts to fade. I have the original steelies in my 1960 VW Beetle, and they are still going strong, with no rust.
Or just replace them. Steelies are like $25 from most tire places.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:35 AM
Most steelies are painted with a lacquer based primer/subframe black that doesn't stand up well to uv. Paint them and they'll last forever.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
I am planning to test drive LX and wondering if going for EX worth it. I am really liking bigger alloy wheels on EX. Not sure if they are worth paying $1800 more. There is also mpg penalty. Are there any differences with respect to suspension and engine.

I bought my 8g LX-P Accord without looking up lot of information. I was disappointed after coming across similar kind of thread for Accord where Honda made lot of changes for EX model (different engine, lot of extra suspension components, interior trim material updates, bigger alloy wheels and breaks, sun roof, audio, noise cancelling etc.,).

I am trying to educate myself before requesting quotes from dealer.
Thanks
I wondered the same thing, and when I checked the features against the relatively slight difference in price, I got the EX. Consider resale, too.

As for quotes from dealers, the EX CVT is $19,025 everywhere. With so few cars available, they have no reason to bargain. We're just lucky that they aren't selling for over list price.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:29 AM
I just got back from a road trip and wrote an in-depth review on my experience in another thread. I provided pictures and some short videos with real life examples on why LaneWatch, Smart Entry and dynamic backup camera guidelines are reasons to DEFINITELY upgrade to the EX.

Link to my review with many photos:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...al-review.html

Old 07-29-2014, 03:26 PM
Most steelies are painted with a lacquer based primer/subframe black that doesn't stand up well to uv. Paint them and they'll last forever.
Yes. Actually, they'll last forever even without paint but they'll look rather nasty after a decade or so.

The steel wheels on my cars get wire-brushed and rattle-can painted right before I put new tires on them. That way I don't have to mask the old tires. They always look fine.

You can also powder-coat the wheels, but be sure not to powder-coat the mounting surfaces or the bead seating area.

Originally Posted by simonx314
I just got back from a road trip and wrote an in-depth review on my experience in another thread. I provided pictures and some short videos with real life examples on why LaneWatch, Smart Entry and dynamic backup camera guidelines are reasons to DEFINITELY upgrade to the EX.https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...al-review.html
Somehow I don't see those three features as being worth the extra cash, but obviously you do. There also seems to be some issues reported in other threads with the Display Audio software that still remain to be corrected.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
...Somehow I don't see those three features as being worth the extra cash, but obviously you do. There also seems to be some issues reported in other threads with the Display Audio software that still remain to be corrected.
Did you see the pictures and read the parts about those features in my review at least?

Old 07-29-2014, 03:36 PM
I think George is just saying he doesn't want to pay $1800 for those features. Some people don't think those are necessary and will make do with traditional ways to manage safety. There are a lot of people who just want to go from point A to point B and don't care about any amenities or just flat out want to spend as little as possible on a car.

I sit in traffic a lot here in Hawaii (we're one of the worst cities in the US in that regard), so I don't mind spending a little more on some amenities that will improve my comfort and overall safety.

But as we've seen in these threads, some people just don't care and/or don't like spending extra money period.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by simonx314
Did you see the pictures and read the parts about those features in my review at least?
I did, and I just reread it to make sure that I didn't miss something.

First, I think that practice of relying on the lanewatch camera exclusively for merging to the right is inherently dangerous. The owner's manual even says:

Originally Posted by Owners' Manual

WARNING:

Failure to visually confirm that it is safe to change lanes before doing so may result in a crash and serious injury or death.

Do not rely only on LaneWatch while driving.

Always look in your mirrors, to either side of your vehicle, and behind you for other vehicles before changing lanes.
You stated that you had to shout at your wife to move her hand when she was using the Display Audio controls. Seeing the screen at that instant wouldn't have been critical if you had also visually verified that your lane change was safe as the manual, and common sense, directs.

Second, the ability to see a car peeking out behind the truck trailing you is interesting, but does it really increase your situational awareness or does it just distract from more immediate hazards?

Third, the dynamic lines on a backup camera are cool, but considering that we all have been backing up without cameras for years I don't see them as being revolutionary. I like the idea of backup cameras for safety and that is available on all models

Unrelated to the features of the EX, if you think that a carabiner through a thin strand of wire mesh will keep that animal cage out of your baby's face in a rollover crash you should rethink the situation. With the mass of the animal in the cage the forces on that single point will be much larger than you think and it only takes the failure of a couple of wire spot welds to release the cage. If you're going to put the cage where it will tumble into the baby it should be secured at least as well as the baby seat, using two or more secure attach points

Old 07-29-2014, 05:47 PM
To be fair, those are standard legal disclaimers. As far as safety, even if you are the most defensive driver on Earth, you are still at risk for an accident any time you are out on the road. We all need to use as many of the defensive driving techniques as we can to minimize that risk to the best of our ability, and Lane Watch can be a part of that. Relying only on that is not a good idea, but that's a bit off topic. The thread is about "are the extra EX features worth the additional cost", and the answer is "maybe it depends". For some (like me), the Lane Watch, alloy wheels, moonroof, and other little goodies are desirable and worth it. For others, it won't be.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
...First, I think that practice of relying on the lanewatch camera exclusively for merging to the right is inherently dangerous. The owner's manual even says:

You stated that you had to shout at your wife to move her hand when she was using the Display Audio controls. Seeing the screen at that instant wouldn't have been critical if you had also visually verified that your lane change was safe as the manual, and common sense, directs.
I disagree. I think it would be more dangerous to use the right mirror when the LaneWatch view is much clearer and more expansive.

I also shout at my wife when she leans forward and blocks the right mirror.

Second, the ability to see a car peeking out behind the truck trailing you is interesting, but does it really increase your situational awareness or does it just distract from more immediate hazards?
That was an example of how LaneWatch shows more cars than both mirrors combined. I would rather look at one display and see more cars than look at two different mirrors and see less cars.

Third, the dynamic lines on a backup camera are cool, but considering that we all have been backing up without cameras for years I don't see them as being revolutionary. I like the idea of backup cameras for safety and that is available on all models
I hardly ever backed into parking spots until I got the Fit with dynamic backup guidelines. Now I almost always back into parking spots. Studies show backing into spots is safer because backing out of a parking spot into parking lot cross traffic is dangerous.

if you think that a carabiner through a thin strand of wire mesh will keep that animal cage out of your baby's face in a rollover crash you should rethink the situation.
I was thinking the same thing. But it's better than nothing. Lots of things can go wrong in a rollover crash.

I am glad you read it. Somebody else stated in my review thread that the LaneWatch images changed their mind from getting an LX to an EX so I thought it would be relevant to bring that up in this thread about deciding if the EX is worth it.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:43 PM
Since LaneWatch is a key difference between the LX and EX, I thought I would post my LaneWatch pictures in this thread so other's can see the images we are discussing.

Below is an excerpt from my road trip photo journal and review thread.

LaneWatch can see the car AROUND cars behind me!

Even though the road is curving away from the LaneWatch camera!

This truck is dominating my rear view mirror.

LaneWatch reveals a car hidden by the truck. This seems insignificant, but its not. It gives me greater road awareness.

I bet I could stack cargo all the way to the ceiling, blocking the rear view mirror, and rely solely on the LaneWatch camera for rear awareness. So, in a way, the LaneWatch camera increases the amount of cargo you can safely carry.

Quick Reply: Is EX worth $1800 more than LX.