3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Why are my headlights always on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 03:52 PM
I used to drive a silver-gray car and other cars cut me off and made left turns across my path all the time. I finally figured out- the car was the color of pavement and didn't stand out enough. My current car (Fit) is blue and that doesn't happen anymore. Of course the Fit has DRL as well, but even so, anything I can do to make my car more visible is fine with me.

Also, if you're getting an insurance discount because your car has stock DRL and you disable them and then get into an accident... good luck.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
Also, if you're getting an insurance discount because your car has stock DRL and you disable them and then get into an accident... good luck.
Good point.
I just checked with my insurance company. There is no insurance discount available for DRL. But that definitely would have been a factor to consider. Thanks!

Old 08-26-2014, 04:04 PM
Pretty sure I got one here in NY- the list is long- DRL, ABS, airbags, alarm, forgot what else. At some point it reaches a threshold and there are no more discounts.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by NotMyName
I live in Massachusetts, and these are not used. They are just not. I just drove 30 minutes this morning through 3 towns and saw hundreds of vehicles. Not a single one had these lights...except mine.

Yes, I was unaware that cars built dummy switches into brand new cars. Generally, when I purchase a product that has an "OFF" switch, I expect that I am able to switch the thing off.
alot of brand new cars DRL's are actually LED strips. Hell my 99 GMC Jimmy has DRLs. I some how dought you dint see any other cars with DRLs. Just pull the fuse or you might have to do some rewiring IDK but that is how you can disable it.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think DRLs are safer on a car to car basis. If you don't like them, then pull the fuse, no biggie. However, knowing that in Canada it is a nation wide requirement is a good thing in my opinion. If I drive in a foggy area, I don't have to worry about some idiot, driving with his lights completely off since he's required to have DRLs.

That's the way I look at it. I know I'm a good driver but regulations are out there for everyone myself included for the benefit of all (especially because of the occasional exceptionally awful driver). However, if DRLs aren't mandatory nor common, what's the big deal with one car less with DRLs. None at all

Old 08-26-2014, 10:14 PM
I think this thread has gotten a little wonky if you ask me.

Lets make it short terms

DRLs have been factory equipped on majority of vehicles for over a decade.

DRL operation is usally not controllable to driver via buttons. Generally a fuse or relay pull is necessary.

DRL should not be the reason people argue. holy crap.

Last thing. If people choose to disable them, let them. No need to further discuss. I bought my car, Im doing it my way. Unless people against it want to take care of my car payment, hush!

Old 08-27-2014, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 13fit
Last thing. If people choose to disable them, let them. No need to further discuss. I bought my car, Im doing it my way. Unless people against it want to take care of my car payment, hush!
I agree 100% as long as disabling DRLs is legal in their region.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:25 AM
Thanks.

For what it's worth, I've decided to live with the DRLs for now (and not disable them). I now understand that it's a feature, not a bug. And I understand people who have been buying new cars for the past 10 years have had plenty of exposure to this. I had no idea - hence the original question.

Although, I do find it fascinating that some have clutched their chest in shock when I discuss that I hadn't noticed. I have spent days now seeking out these lights. While I have now seen a handful of cars with these lights, such a large majority do not have them that it hardly seems unreasonable to have not noticed them. My informal, unscientific guess is roughly 5% have them here. I suppose eastern Massachusetts is possibly behind the curve.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:46 PM
I noticed that besides the DRL feature, which is neither here nor there, the lights are on an awful lot. I don't get why auto mode has them turn on full power with tail lights when you unlock the doors or just open the doors or why they stay on for several seconds after you lock the car. That seems like it serves no purpose and is an annoying "habit" Honda picked up from other manufacturers.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
It's a feature that helps you locate your car, and also lights up the area when you lock your car at night.

Some of you act like niceties are somehow evil. Oy.

I don't know if I'd call disabling DRLs a "right". Well, if you then sign a waiver just as you do it, which states that you are fully responsible for any accidents while your DRLs are disabled. Otherwise, you're just a smidge self-absorbed.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:33 PM
the turning on and off when lock/unlocking is a coming/leaving home feature.
It helps you find your car at night, as well as turns on the lights so you can see what is around your vehicle (water, thieves, murderers, ex girlfriends... those last three could be the same thing).
The same applies when leaving your car. If you park somewhere in the dark, or on a street that isn't well lit, it gives you a bit of light while walking away.

I'd think of it like a safety feature again

edit: tommy answered it. Didn't scroll down enough

Old 08-27-2014, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by Bigbadvoodooguru
(water, thieves, murderers, ex girlfriends... those last three could be the same thing).
Haha

Old 08-27-2014, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by mikeygnyc
I noticed that besides the DRL feature, which is neither here nor there, the lights are on an awful lot. I don't get why auto mode has them turn on full power with tail lights when you unlock the doors or just open the doors or why they stay on for several seconds after you lock the car. That seems like it serves no purpose and is an annoying "habit" Honda picked up from other manufacturers.
Easy fix is to operate the headlight switch like normal cars.... Full ON at night or bad weather and full OFF when you shut down... No loitering at the "parking lamp" position either

Old 08-27-2014, 02:03 PM
DRLs are an interesting study in how experimental results don't always translate to the real world. When only a few cars have their lights on they stand out and obviously will be avoided. When all cars have their lights on they blend back together and the safety advantage is diminished.

As a motorcyclist, I object to the fact that DRLs reduce the visibility advantage that motorcycles have had with always-on headlights. Instead of standing out we're now blending back into a sea of headlights.

Still, the choice is yours. I'll probably leave mine be unless I install some dedicated LED DRLs.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
DRLs are an interesting study in how experimental results don't always translate to the real world. When only a few cars have their lights on they stand out and obviously will be avoided. When all cars have their lights on they blend back together and the safety advantage is diminished.

As a motorcyclist, I object to the fact that DRLs reduce the visibility advantage that motorcycles have had with always-on headlights. Instead of standing out we're now blending back into a sea of headlights.

Still, the choice is yours. I'll probably leave mine be unless I install some dedicated LED DRLs.
Very good point GeorgeL - add in the increased number of distractions happening inside the vehicle nowadays and it becomes even more difficult to know how well "prevention" devices actually stack up.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 13fit
I bet you will nag at me for getting rid of the factory super strong steelies and going with a weaker lightweight alloy rim. ZOMG THE RIM COULD BREAK!!!!!!!!!

lol. to each their own.
You are getting rid if your heavy factory strong steelies for a weaker lightweight alloy? You are moron!

Old 08-27-2014, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by tommycrx
It's a feature that helps you locate your car, and also lights up the area when you lock your car at night.

Some of you act like niceties are somehow evil. Oy.

I don't know if I'd call disabling DRLs a "right". Well, if you then sign a waiver just as you do it, which states that you are fully responsible for any accidents while your DRLs are disabled. Otherwise, you're just a smidge self-absorbed.
I get the locating thing somewhat when you're using a remote, what I don't get is why it comes on when you open the door with smart entry. I know where the car is at that point.

I'd also argue that the lights staying on a little while after you lock the doors can almost be anti-security.... it's like "hey look over here! this guy is leaving his car unattended!"

At least the backup lights don't come on too. I've seen cars that do that and when I'm trying to drive out of a lot, that's really distracting.

I suppose I could just go full off instead of leaving it in auto. I'd rather just complain about it.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by quikser
Easy fix is to operate the headlight switch like normal cars.... Full ON at night or bad weather and full OFF when you shut down... No loitering at the "parking lamp" position either

Yeah I suppose I could do that like I used to before I had Auto. But what fun would that be?

Interestingly, the owner's manual advises you to turn the lights on full ON at night and not use Auto.

On the subject, I've never understood the point of "parking lights".... I was taught to never use them. If it's dark enough to need lights, you turn your lights fully on.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:43 PM
...I've never understood the point of "parking lights".... I was taught to never use them. If it's dark enough to need lights, you turn your lights fully on.

Agree!! I guess some people think it looks cool, lol

Old 08-27-2014, 08:34 PM
On the subject, I've never understood the point of "parking lights".... I was taught to never use them. If it's dark enough to need lights, you turn your lights fully on.
Parking lights are, or at least were, properly used only when you need to stop and park (partway) on the traveled lane of a road, to provide visibility of the vehicle to other drivers. Most of the time, the four way flashers are more appropriate in such situations, or just not stopping in the road so far as is possible. If I had my druthers, I'd make them not required equipment for passenger cars (as a separate control setting).

Parking lights are somewhat more useful for big vehicles (like semi trucks) with clearance lights, as it may be hard to divine the size of the vehicle without them.

Quick Reply: Why are my headlights always on?