3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Why are my headlights always on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 07:59 PM
Why are my headlights always on?

I just noticed that when I start my car - even when my headlight switch is in the OFF position (not automatic) - that the headlights are on.

It's an LX if that matters.

How can I turn these off? Is there something wrong with my car already? I've only had the car for a week and haven't driven at night so I just happened to notice it.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
It may very wlll be your Daytime Running Lights. Those will stay on, even if the headlights are off.

Have someone turn on the car while stand in front of it.

Try the lights off first, then have them switch them back on. You should notice a difference between normal headlights and DRLs.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:10 PM
Thanks. They are much duller than the regular headlights. But why are they on at all? What's the difference between the switch position that is specifically for the running lights and the off position, which seems to turn them on anyway?

Old 08-25-2014, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NotMyName
Thanks. They are much duller than the regular headlights. But why are they on at all? What's the difference between the switch position that is specifically for the running lights and the off position, which seems to turn them on anyway?
Day Time Running Lights (DRL) is required by law in newer cars in parts of the Country. Its really jus a safety item for other drivers. When the car senses that its not as bright out it will automatically turn on.

"wiki"
Numerous studies done worldwide since the 1970s have tended to conclude that daytime running lights improve safety.[2][3][4] A 2008 study by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration analysed the effect of DRLs on frontal and side-on crashes between two vehicles and on vehicle collisions with pedestrians, cyclists, and motorcyclists. The analysis determined that DRLs offer no statistically significant reduction in the frequency or severity of the collisions studied, except for a reduction in light trucks' and vans' involvement in two-vehicle crashes by a statistically significant 5.7%.[5]

Old 08-25-2014, 08:28 PM
DRL or Daytime Running Lights are to make your car more visible to oncoming drivers. DRLs light output is less than when you have the headlight switch set to on.The tail lights do not come on with DRLs so at nite traffic coming up behind you may not see your vehicle. That's why you need to turn your lights to the on position.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:47 PM
So these are required, and there is no way to turn them off? Wow. I don't like this at all. Does everyone's 2015 Fit do this? Go start your car with your headlight switch in the off position. Do the DRL come on?

There's got to be a way to fix this.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:53 PM
So these are required, and there is no way to turn them off? Wow. I don't like this at all. Does everyone's 2015 Fit do this? Go start your car with your headlight switch in the off position. Do the DRL come on?

You got to be joking! Every newer cars have this, even my 2010 accord has it. Don't let it bother you seriously. It for public safety!! Just enjoy your new fit!! Thumbs up...

Old 08-25-2014, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
Day time running lights are on older Fits as well. I have a '13 Fit and think the lights are really a safety factor. My car is gray and sometimes can "blend in" with the pavement color. People see me when lights are on. I've almost pulled out in front of gray cars without lights, just can't see 'em until they're right on you. That's why I think the lights are a great idea. Don't worry about them being on all the time, cuz they could save you from a crash.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:00 PM

Yep - they come on no matter what. All newer model cars have this feature if you haven't noticed.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:14 PM
My first car in the 90s had day time running lights. Its been around ..............

I don't think anyone should be surprised about DRL, especially in 2014.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
Search DRL on this forum. You can pull the fuse if you want. Some love them, some hate them, it is what it is.

If you are parked and want to shut them off (i.e. hide at the back of a parking lot, etc), then put your e-brake on, even if it's on one click and they should shut off.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
Here's the link I was talking about:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...sable-drl.html

Old 08-25-2014, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Ex-MA Hole
Here's the link I was talking about:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...sable-drl.html
Great! Thanks.
Looks like the fuse will do it.
I know this sounds crazy, but this is completely unacceptable to me (to have the lights come on). This is getting into Android vs iPhone territory, and it is why I cannot own an iPhone for philosophical and functional reasons.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:19 PM
huh...
DRL, daytime running lights. It means exactly that, they turn on. During the day. While the car is running.

They are meant to be on at a lower power, so cars in front of you, and cars heading toward you, see you better. They turn on once you let down the parking brake, in any headlight switch position.

You can disable them (illegal in Canada), but I don't think any states in the US require them.

DRL has been around for a really really long time. Much longer than the iphone. Probably longer than Palm Pilots.

It is touted as a safety feature, but that is debatable. I would just leave the headlight switch in the "auto" position...?

Old 08-25-2014, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know why you'd want to disable the DRL. It's not like you're going to see them from inside the car (unless reflected off a car in front of you), and it's safer to drive with lights on, since you're more visible to other cars. I keep my lights on auto so either the DRL or headlights are on at all times and when I leave the car, the lights shut off automatically, never draining the battery.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:36 PM
disabling DRLs allows you to get more bulb life

It is also necessary if you are installing HIDs, as the ballasts do not like the extra amperage required since DRLs are simply a lower voltage function of the low beams

Old 08-25-2014, 11:29 PM
HIDs, yes. I wouldnt put a plug and play in a reflector housing though.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
I've gotta say that disabling a safety feature such as the DRL's is, IMHO, totally moronic. And doing it for philosophical reasons? ... get over yourself. Why not cut the seat belts out of your car and pull the ABS and vehicle dynamics fuses too. I'm sorry, but what kind of a moron would object to DRLs, and no, I'm not a troll, but I do not tolerate fools gladly.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by JohnJohn15
You got to be joking! Every newer cars have this
Well, GM and Honda cars have DRLs as do a few others. They aren't required in the US at all.

GM has pushed DRLs hard, even repeatedly petitioning the US government to require them on all vehicles. GM wants to sell the same "bright DRL" setup on the US as they have to sell in Canada. Obviously some people who don't want DRLs opt to buy other makes and GM would like to eliminate that option.

Luckily, Honda gives most owners the option to disable DRLs by removing a fuse.

My preference is to have dedicated LED DRLs that only burn a couple of watts rather than burning the incandescent high beams at a reduced wattage of 30 or so. Unfortunately, this would be more expensive.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by Bigbadvoodooguru
HIDs, yes. I wouldnt put a plug and play in a reflector housing though.
I do not know about GD, but the GE and GK cars have factory HID options in other markets, so our housings are actually designed to accommodate both halogen and HID. My HID kit has motors and shields on the bulbs, so the shield changes position between highs and lows for proper cutoff

Originally Posted by Spitfire
I've gotta say that disabling a safety feature such as the DRL's is, IMHO, totally moronic. And doing it for philosophical reasons? ... get over yourself. Why not cut the seat belts out of your car and pull the ABS and vehicle dynamics fuses too. I'm sorry, but what kind of a moron would object to DRLs, and no, I'm not a troll, but I do not tolerate fools gladly.
Are you seriously over-reacting? Perhaps the internet is not for you.

I bet you will nag at me for getting rid of the factory super strong steelies and going with a weaker lightweight alloy rim. ZOMG THE RIM COULD BREAK!!!!!!!!!

lol. to each their own.

Quick Reply: Why are my headlights always on?