3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Sunroof Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 11:53 PM
Sunroof Gasket

Has anyone noticed the rubber gasket seal around the glass sunroof panel is noticeably higher in the middle rear of the glass? In my opinion, it should be flush. I don't know if this will cause water leaks or not. I have looked at other new Fits on dealer lots and some have the higher rubber gasket. I saw another Fit yesterday that was flush all the way around like it should look.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:02 AM
Hmm mine is flush. Maybe you should bring it in and have them look at it?

Old 08-27-2014, 12:22 AM
My in-laws own the Fit but I helped out a great deal. I believe they did take it to their dealer and pointed it out. The dealership didn't seem to be too alarmed by it. I will suggest they address the issue again as I have seen a gasket like it should be and you mentioned yours is flush too. Thank you.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:04 AM
I've seen a couple on the highway too and those were flush as well. If you've seen them not flush at the dealers, maybe this is another quality issue.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kapper
Has anyone noticed the rubber gasket seal around the glass sunroof panel is noticeably higher in the middle rear of the glass? In my opinion, it should be flush. I don't know if this will cause water leaks or not. I have looked at other new Fits on dealer lots and some have the higher rubber gasket. I saw another Fit yesterday that was flush all the way around like it should look.
I noticed the same thing when we were waxing our new Fit. To make the gasket "flush", we played around with how long we held the closing switch. When closing the sunroof, the gasket goes from flush to raised, if you hold the switch too long. I don't think it impacts the waterproof nature of the gasket if it is flush or raised, just the appearance (we toyed around with the hose later trying to see if we could make it leak, and had no luck).

Old 08-27-2014, 05:27 AM
Originally Posted by Vanguard
I noticed the same thing when we were waxing our new Fit. To make the gasket "flush", we played around with how long we held the closing switch. When closing the sunroof, the gasket goes from flush to raised, if you hold the switch too long. I don't think it impacts the waterproof nature of the gasket if it is flush or raised, just the appearance (we toyed around with the hose later trying to see if we could make it leak, and had no luck).
Glad you weren't successful with your test! Lol

Old 08-27-2014, 05:36 AM
5 Year Member
You and me both !!!!!

Old 08-27-2014, 09:51 AM
My cats noticed they could jump on the roof and start nibble, tearing at the gasket. :\ I now cover the moon roof with a piece of carpet when it is in the garage.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:42 PM
I have this too, the rear seal bumps up, the front is flush. It is supposed to be like that according to Honda for "reduced wind noise"

I did poke around at the seal, it looks really flimsy and tends to flip up really easily in the front.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bigbadvoodooguru
I have this too, the rear seal bumps up, the front is flush. It is supposed to be like that according to Honda for "reduced wind noise".
Amazing what dealer service and even factory reps will say to get you out of their hair. Any trim or seal that is pertruding off the body and is not flush with it (including door panels, fenders, hoods, or hatches that are misaligned too far inboard or outboard) will create and not diminish wind noise. I guess the manufacturer paying warranty claims at a reduced rate pushes service techs/writers/managers away from nuisance type warranty work because it doesn't pay as well, and also the dealer is at the mercy of the manuacturer if the service dept undertakes the work and Honda declines the warranty claim as unauthorized, unnecessary or frivolous. Sad but true, and it happens with all automakers, not just Honda. Of course many owners are willing to accept any BS response if it comes straight from the horse's mouth, especially if that horse is "can do no wrong" Honda.

It's pretty simple. If your trim is pertruding, and you can document other units without the anamoly, then keep pushing up the ladder until a proper repair is authorized and completed. It's not always easy, and you can't always be "nice" when you're being treated like a know-nothing fool. Otherwise stop complaining and start loving those blatant quality issues along with the rest of the car.

Last edited by badself; 08-27-2014 at 03:15 PM.