3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What brand and grade of gas are you using? 87 or higher?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Yokiebear
After seeing all these users with amazing MPG it's good to know that our driving habits are causing the unusually low gas mileage. Thanks for the confirmation.
driving habits ... is a HUGE part indeed. I highly recommend a scangauge or an ultragauge. It played a key role in me learning good habits and raising my mpg/getting consistent mpg

here are 2 examples to share:

76.5 miles from San Diego, to Irvine

333+ miles from San Diego, to Las Vegas ... and the return trip back home

Old 07-06-2018, 02:07 AM
5 Year Member
Not to hijack this thread - I like all the monitoring. I was going to investigate going digital to see if I can make use of 7" touchscreen and use the WIFI tethering to download an android app (APK) to connect to a bluetooth OBD scanner.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member
On the subject of monitoring – I have an Elm 327 OBD-2 dongle with bluetooth. It makes a bluetooth connection to an old cell phone with the Torque Pro app on it. The Torque Pro reports the monitored information in dials, digital readouts, graphs, or one of each. To report this information the cell phone does not need to have a cell service connection. So I use a discarded cell phone with no Sim card in it that I got for nothing from someone who upgraded to a newer phone, or that you may be able to get a cell phone at a yard sale for almost nothing. The cell phone needs to have gps – which enables it to get more exact info about how many miles you have traveled in a period of time than it could get from cell towers – however unlike cell service, gps connectivity is a free service from the US government, god bless them. The Torque Pro app reports not only mpg, coolant temperature, catalytic converter temperature and lots of other things about the car's engine, but it will also log this information and you can export it to a spreadsheet, if I recall correctly. My Elm dongle is a cheap one (about $9 US) which continues drawing a small amount of current after you turn off the car's ignition, however you can get a more expensive one (about $35 US) that automatically shuts itself off – so you can leave it plugged in all the time. The old cell phone is plugged into the accessory circuit, so that it does not hog the USB port where I have my 16 GB usb drive with music on it which, if I recall correctly, holds the equivalent amount of music as 1000's of CD's. The frees up the CD slot for a cell phone or tablet holder. I should add this to one the other threads, one about car modifications.

If you have a Fit with the upgraded electronic unit in the dash which can be connected to an android phone (or iphone?) you can put the phone's display into your dashboard - not need to mount the phone in you cd drive, window, dash, or vent. Just plop it down somewhere out of the sun. I recommend not leaving it in a hot car (damage battery or circuitry) or very cold car (condensation might damage circuitry). Phones usually don't have the ruggedness of dash-mounted units.

I'm looking for the proper forum to post this in - and then I could just post a link to that in this forum.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:15 PM
Shell regular fuel vs. other brands top tier regular.

With our 2016 Fit - LX- CVT, I always get slightly better mileage, about (44 MPG with regular Shell) against other brand fuels 41 MPG. This is calculated MPG, always top of until it takes no more fuel. Fit also seems to have better performance. This is from many trials, but not scientific. I had the same experience with our 2008 Honda CRV Automatic. For some reason, Shell fuel works better for me. Have not tried to go up to the next grade fuel.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
Walmart regular 87. They charge less than other stations. The local neighborhood station is new with new pumps! I don't have to avoid stepping on spilled diesel fuel or leaked oil spots like other stations that keep up their facility. When I am out of the area I scout out the regular 87 prices and fill up at the lowest cost station. Lowest price wins for me when it comes to gas. On open highway, cruise set at 62-63 mph, calculated economy 46-47mpg. I don't rely on the Fit since the funky mpg display is wrong.

Last edited by wasserball; 11-21-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
Just switched to 91 oct .... will report back once I get like 10 fill ups/receipts

(note, I am ktuned)

Old 12-22-2018, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
Just switched to 91 oct .... will report back once I get like 10 fill ups/receipts

(note, I am ktuned)
I tried 5 tanks with 91 and didn't see much difference. Actually the first tank was several MPG lower. Maybe it was the ecm relearning?

I am not ktuned though.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
I am definitely using only Top Tier gas because that is specified in the Owner's Manual. The cheapest gas around here is sold at Citgo, and that is a Top Tier gas.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
I am definitely using only Top Tier gas because that is specified in the Owner's Manual. The cheapest gas around here is sold at Citgo, and that is a Top Tier gas.
Me too, and for the same reasons. Should my injectors get fouled, I can in good conscience tell Honda. And hopefully they won't get fouled since I am using Top Tier.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by exl500
Me too, and for the same reasons. Should my injectors get fouled, I can in good conscience tell Honda. And hopefully they won't get fouled since I am using Top Tier.
Another recommendation I got from both Honda and a mechanic is to use a non-ethanol gas (like Stewart's high octane) occasionally. It's supposedly good for the catalytic converter - maybe??

Old 01-09-2019, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I tried 5 tanks with 91 and didn't see much difference. Actually the first tank was several MPG lower. Maybe it was the ecm relearning?
strange enough, I too had bad mpg #s on the 1st tank of 91 ... glad to see its not just my imagination

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1420820

Originally Posted by SilverEX15
I'm lucky enough to have cheaper top tier than not-so-top-tier (arco, costco) in my area. the GK5 has had nothing but top tier thus far.

FWIW, in my prev car (lexus ct200h), about 1/2 of the fill ups were non top tier and it didnt have an impact on mpg (and from what I can tell, no diff in power). STILL .... I pref top tier.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
There is an Exxon station near me with fairly low price, only pennies more than the nearby non-top tier station. Exxon according to the official TopTier web site list, is Top Tier gas. However I don't see a sign on the pump saing Top Tier. Can I assume it is top tier if it is Exxon? There is no Top Tier sign at the nearby Shell statiion either. Some gas stations further east in NC displayed top tier signs.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
I always experienced lower MPG with all my Honda's and Premium gas.

Originally Posted by nomenclator
There is an Exxon station near me with fairly low price, only pennies more than the nearby non-top tier station. Exxon according to the official TopTier web site list, is Top Tier gas. However I don't see a sign on the pump saing Top Tier. Can I assume it is top tier if it is Exxon? There is no Top Tier sign at the nearby Shell statiion either. Some gas stations further east in NC displayed top tier signs.
That's a good question. I purposely drive out of my way to go to an Exxon station and never noticed if it had the sticker or not. I would assume that the gas station owner just didn't put the stickers on the pumps. I know the Valero's near me have them but they were not top tier for a while and then got certified.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nomenclator
I use Citgo, 87 octane, which is Top Tier. Dealer and mechanic recommend non-ethanol Stewart's high octane once in a while - for the cat conv

I'm surprised the Exxon pumps don't brag about being Top Tier.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
I envy those of you who have access to non ethanol

Old 01-18-2019, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
I envy those of you who have access to non ethanol
Check here.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Old 01-18-2019, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
What is the purpose of this thread besides statistic? If it is all about economy. I have gotten over 500 miles on a tank of gas, 3 times, so far from using the cheapest gas available. I tanked it today 10.375 gallons, $18.25. We have very cheap gas in TX. I bought the Fit to save money. I baby it, but I don't treat it like a queen.
OK, flame suit on. I'm going to get dirty injectors, plugs' going to misfire, the valves going to stick from all the carbon deposits and lose compression ratio. Finally, the engine going to explode. And, all because I didn't use top tier or 95 octane gas.

Last edited by wasserball; 01-19-2019 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
What is the purpose of this thread besides statistic? If it is all about economy. I have gotten over 500 miles on a tank of gas, 3 times, so far from using the cheapest gas available. I tanked it today 10.375 gallons, $18.25. We have very cheap gas in TX. I bought the Fit to save money. I baby it, but I don't treat it like a queen.
OK, flame suit on. I'm going to get dirty injectors, plugs' going to misfire, the valves going to stick from all the carbon deposits and lose compression ratio. Finally, the engine going to explode. And, all because I didn't use top tier or 95 octane gas.
I don’t think it makes much of the difference with the Fit. For the 50k miles I put on mine I put whatever gas was closest to me in and always ran low octane. Yes top tier cleans the engine better and I may have had more buildup then a car that was always used top tier. I put cheap gas in it and never noticed much of difference.

Now for for my GTI I drive out of my way for Exxon because of the carbon issues and it being more sensitive to cheap gas. Always use high octane as that is what it requires. The Pilot gets whatever gas usually but I’ll put top tier in it if I am by a station.

Last edited by GolNat; 01-19-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
I don't see any top tier brands here. You guys must be doing something very wrong. Keep paying more to stimulate our economy.

GasBuddy, the app that tracks the lowest prices at the pump across the USA, also collects reader reviews of those stations. For 2019, it rates the best gas station brands, and exclusive for USA TODAY, shares the top-rated brand in all 50 states (see the slideshow above).

These are travelers' favorite brands overall:

1. Kwik Trip
2. Cenex
3. Kum and Go
4. Casey's
5. Cumberland Farms
6. Irving
7. Kwik Fill
8. Holiday
9. Sinclair
10. Maverick

Old 01-22-2019, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, I wish you handn't posted that. With 160,000 miles on one our Fits and having none of those problems, I do not want my Honda to know it was suppose to do all of those things. It has never seen a "top Tier" station. I did stop at one once in Missouri and when I saw the marketing hype "top Tier" sign, I drove out to a different one.

Shhhhhhhhhh...............

Quick Reply: What brand and grade of gas are you using? 87 or higher?