3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Intake Air Temperature Sensor IAT Location

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 03:27 AM
5 Year Member
Intake Air Temperature Sensor IAT Location

Can someone tell me where exactly the Intake Air Temperature sensor (IAT) is located?

I have been doing a LOT of tests and have been monitoring this through my OBD2 port. I'm not understanding why my intake temperature is 25 - 30F higher than ambient when it is constantly pulling in cold air. Highway driving brings the temp down to 6-7F higher than ambient but that is the best I can get. Not gonna mention everything I've done (too long to list) but nothing seems to keep the air temp constant at idle or the same as ambient air temperature. I've been successful doing this on all my other cars so this is why I ask.

Also, does the intake pull in any hot air through the resonance piece that is connected to it? I plan on testing this but wanted to ask anyways.

I've ran several tests with the HOT metal tube removed but results are the same (I've have removed the metal tube piece and replaced it with a rubber tube to intake, with a filter of my own, routed to the driver's side fender area to pull cool air). **Only for testing** I have not done a coolant bypass of the throttle body but this doesn't make sense IF the IAT is before the throttle body and in the intake stream.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 09-26-2014 at 03:32 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:57 AM
The hot metal tube connected to the intake/valve cover is a dryer. It removes moisture from the intake that could make its way back into the head through the valve cover breather. Hope this helps.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Apexracing
The hot metal tube connected to the intake/valve cover is a dryer. It removes moisture from the intake that could make its way back into the head through the valve cover breather. Hope this helps.
HUGE thanks on this. One guy mentioned something similar to this in another thread but this is much clearer. I was wondering why it was so damn hot to the touch but I guess that is just attributed to the underhood temperature. Glad it is not putting hot air into the intake.

What is interesting about this is how it may be impacting pumping efficiency from the vacuum it creates on the intake against the inlet valve sucking from the same air stream. This is for another discussion.......

Been told that the maf sensor is the location for the IAT sensor and that is why it has five wires. Just looking for confirmation at this point. Because if this is the case and I'm pulling air directly from the top of the hood at the stock location, wondering why it is pulling in hot air either through there.....or that resonator {Or both}. Or somewhere else I haven't pinpointed.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
Found it (I believe). Disregard post and/or delete please. Thanks!

Old 09-27-2014, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
HUGE thanks on this. One guy mentioned something similar to this in another thread but this is much clearer. I was wondering why it was so damn hot to the touch but I guess that is just attributed to the underhood temperature. Glad it is not putting hot air into the intake.

What is interesting about this is how it may be impacting pumping efficiency from the vacuum it creates on the intake against the inlet valve sucking from the same air stream. This is for another discussion.......

Been told that the maf sensor is the location for the IAT sensor and that is why it has five wires. Just looking for confirmation at this point. Because if this is the case and I'm pulling air directly from the top of the hood at the stock location, wondering why it is pulling in hot air either through there.....or that resonator {Or both}. Or somewhere else I haven't pinpointed.
One other quick note, that metal tube with the loop in it. That has engine coolant running through it. Thats what causes it to heat up and help dry the air.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Apexracing
One other quick note, that metal tube with the loop in it. That has engine coolant running through it. Thats what causes it to heat up and help dry the air.
You are correct! I plan on doing a throttle body coolant bypass and testing the results. As I kept looking closer to the setup, I noticed this. I don't know if this was the coolant in or out hose but noticed two other hoses underneath the throttle body. One looks to be another coolant hose and the other seems to go to a sensor of sorts. I plan on putting in a metal 'T' fitting to make this happen.

Just past the throttle body looks to be the IAT sensor. You can see this as it has a plug to it. I was looking at a Honda Civic engine pic and notice an IAT sensor right in this location as well. Once I saw that, it all came together. Thanks for your post though.

All in all, looks like I have been losing 4-6% power (1% for every 10F higher than ambient) with the inlet temps being so hot, especially during stoplight traffic. I wasn't following ignition advance closely while all this was happening but I'm sure it was affected as well. It's significant enough for me to do something about it, at least until the winter months.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 09-27-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:31 AM
Make sure you make the coolant bypass reversible, as it DOES help the throttlebody stay un-stuck during cold months.

Heck, 2 3-way valves could be the solution, flip both open, its stock, flip both closed, they loop the ends and keep the throttlebody dry (and cooler)