3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Say Hello to the Ch3rrybomb!

Old 01-29-2015, 05:29 PM
Been a while since I posted last.... oops.

One of my fog light ballasts (ironically, the good one) burned out a couple weeks ago, so Kensun is sending me replacements for both of them. Should be here sometime next week.

Also found out how much I am getting for my tax return. All told, a lot. So I have a couple of options of what I can do. First is to put a lot of it into savings, and then I plan on buying a kayak and bike rack for the roof.

Second option, I trade up for a Honda Accord. Currently torn between the Sport and EX, but either way it would be a stick shift sedan in gray. It's ultimately going to come down to the payments, since I want to keep it as close to what I'm paying now as I can.

Thoughts? I'm also throwing around the idea of getting a Mazda 3, which is what I would really like to do at some point, but that seems a little out of reach considering the down payment I'd have to make.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:21 PM
Thoughts?
Find contentment. The grass is not always greener elsewhere. Save your money for more important things or reduce your debt. Repeat as often as possible and life is good.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:00 PM
Very sound advice. I think my biggest motivation in getting a new car is that my best friend doesn't fit in the Fit because he is quite large. 6'8 (at least, he doesn't want to know if that's right) and a linebacker build, and his shins are forced against the low-hanging dash. He surprisingly fits in the Accord no problem, and since we basically do everything together (and I love driving everywhere) I would like a car that he fits in. That, and I will admit, I really like the Accord. I had actually wished that I had gotten the Accord instead of the Fit for few days when I still worked at the dealer.

However, I have basically decided to keep the Fit. I like the utility that is available, and it is a very nice car for what I'm paying--LOADS of features, lots of space in a tiny package, and pretty good gas mileage, even when I'm throwing it around delivering pizza (which I've been doing a lot more lately). So my next step is to grab me a roof rack with some attachments for my kayak and bike, and then find out how much payments will be if I decide to buy out my lease.

Good news! My new ballasts came yesterday! I didn't expect them until next week, so it was a pleasant surprise. Fog lights are both working great again, and I'm glad to have the look back. I think adding the roof rack will look great with this ride.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:07 PM
Well, I have basically decided to keep my Fit. I want to find out how much it's going to be per month to buy out the lease, because the mod bug is biting hard now that my tax return is coming.

First things first, I NEED a roof rack. I have no way for the Fit to move around my kayak, and since I'm thinking about selling the P5 I need to find a way to do that. Plus it'd be nice to have extra storage space for road trips, since the trunk is a little small for 4 people's luggage.

Next, I am planning on getting summer rims and tires. I'm thinking right now that black with a machined lip would look best, with gold being a runner up. I need to see some pics to decide for sure though. I'm thinking 18s, but depending on price and what's on Craigslist I would settle for 17s. I would more than likely mount winter tires to the stock rims then, but not sure about timing on that one.

Finally, I want to look into lowering my car. However, that one is a little farther off because I think it will mess with my service contract (not to mention my warranty). The Sentinel package is awesome because all my maintenance for the first 45,000 miles is included ($16/month for oil changes and scheduled maintenance). Also, when the warranty expires is when I will start looking into exhausts and other performance upgrades. I know it's a little tough with Hondas, but I want a deeper sound without sounding like a fart can.

So yeah, that's the plan for now. We'll see how it pans out, but I know those first two things are happening. If anyone comes across pics of what it could look like or has input, send them my way.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:22 AM
Question in regards to your HID Headlights:

You got yours at 6k, would you say it looks more like a conventional HID found on many luxury vehicles or vehicles with HID on the road? I'm trying to get something similar and I honestly hate those tacky blue HID I see many on the road.

Thanks!

Old 02-10-2015, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by SparknDutch
Question in regards to your HID Headlights:

You got yours at 6k, would you say it looks more like a conventional HID found on many luxury vehicles or vehicles with HID on the road? I'm trying to get something similar and I honestly hate those tacky blue HID I see many on the road.

Thanks!
I would honestly say that the ones I got turned out to be more like a luxury vehicle HID minus the fact that they are in reflector housings instead of a projector setup. If they were in projectors, it would probably look very similar.

But I'll leave that up to your discretion.This is what the light pattern looks like against my garage door.
Name:  20150210_165138_zpsiyo0hql4.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  54.6 KB
This is the best picture I could get just looking at the car. Maybe I'll be able to get a better one tonight.
Name:  20150210_165245_zpsoboesp9n.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  45.1 KB

Old 03-21-2015, 11:51 AM
Well, it's been a while since I last updated this. Just crossed over 11,000 miles! Took the Ch3rrybomb down to Florida for spring break (oops), and this was just gonna be a summary of my thoughts.

First off, I got the best gas mileage I have ever gotten on this trip. I averaged 37, but I saw a couple tanks that were upwards of 40. This is awesome, considering that I had not topped 35 prior to this. The only way I could explain it would be all the weight I had in the car (3 people and lots of stuff) weighing it down and making the aero better. I say that because when I drive home for a weekend or something, it's just me and a duffel bag, and I get maybe 32.

Back to the drive, we had the thing wired like crazy, and it held up fine. Had a GPS plugged in, and then had a power inverter with two AC outlets, a car outlet, and a USB charger. That constantly had a radar detector and a laptop plugged in for watching movies (flipped down over the screen on the dash), and sometimes my phone and someone else's tablet. We hooked up the laptop to the bluetooth, and the sound was awesome for movies! The only drawback was that whoever was in the backseat had a hard time hearing whatever was going on (movie or music).

Now for the comfort. The ride was smooth until we hit crazy potholes in Nashville, but outside of that it was comfy. The front seat got a little tiring with sore knees for me and cramping legs for my buddy (he's 6'7", so it makes sense in a small car like this), and the person in the backseat usually struggled to really sleep. It was a 22 hour drive, and because nobody else knew how to drive a manual I drove the entire way there and back. And surprisingly, all I needed was the stretch breaks when we stopped for gas. Thanks to the small tank, this was pretty frequent. I would love to have a bigger tank so that stops weren't so frequent.

Overall, the Ch3rrybomb had no problems with taking what we threw at it. There were lots of spilled snacks, but thankfully the only new smell is someone's smelly feet that seemed to stick around for a few days.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:01 PM
Had one of my HID headlights fail over the weekend, so I emailed Kensun about getting a replacement. After not hearing anything for a couple days, I decided to put the stock lights back in (all four lights) last night, only to get an email from them this morning. Thankfully we got the process compressed into one day, instead of last time where it was spread out over the course of a week. Replacement bulb should be on it's way and here by the end of the week.

HOWEVER, I am strongly considering getting another Mazda. I miss the driver involvement and driver's feel. This car just doesn't have that, even with the 6-speed. I am applying for jobs this week, but I may be trading in the Fit pretty soon depending on how jobs go. If I get the job I want though, I may be keeping it for now because I would be commuting an hour and a half each way every day, so gas mileage is a must.

So we'll see what happens. I need to talk to a couple of dealers first about what goes on with trading in a lease vehicle at a different dealer from the one I got it at (and a different brand) first. Hopefully there isn't too much hassle with that.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:21 PM
I've got the Fit 6MT and a 2015 Mazda 3 2.5 6MT hatch. The 3 is obviously a lot more capable performance-wise, but I wouldn't say it's dramatically more involving or anything. Actually, one of the main points I score in favor of the Fit is the engine noise - the 3 has basically none and it can make it feel quite boring unless you're really revving the hell out of it. Different classes of car of course, and the 3 is just more refined. Both good cars, but the Fit was a lot cheaper and can't really be beaten on utility.

That said, the new Mazda 2 should be a blast and I'm personally strongly considering the new Miata.

Last edited by jetto-setto; 04-22-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:32 PM
That is the exact 3 that I would be getting! Good to know about the involvement, but idk how to feel about the engine noise, or lack thereof. I would be doing a lot of highway driving, so engine noise is not exactly desired then thankfully, but if I was planning on keeping this car for a while (which I more than likely would, barring the upcoming Speed3), I would probs put some sort of exhaust on there. And I feel like I could find ways to make the 3 more utilized, mostly cuz there are plenty of options for a roof rack (including a factory option that you don't have to import from Australia!). Once I graduate (yes, I'm still in school) the most utility I will need it for is my bike, my kayak, and the occasional moving day or car parts.

I would definitely go for the Mazda 2, but I wanna make sure there is a sunroof and that it won't get blown around on the highway. That's one of my biggest gripes with the Fit, since Minnesota is pretty windy where I am.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:37 PM
I would think the Mazda 2 will be even more wind-prone than the Fit. It's a hell of a good-looking car though (whenever we finally get the new one), and I may have even bought it over the Fit if it had been available at the time. Mazda has been batting a thousand lately.

That said, I don't regret buying the Fit. I actually find it plenty of fun to drive when I want it to be, in back roads and such with the TCS off. Although the 3rd-gen Fit has been refined a fair bit, I still like the more go-karty feel of a car this size compared to something larger like the 3. That said, I'm a committed small car guy and don't have any major problems with wind down here in SoCal. Actually though, there was a pretty windy day here recently and on the highway with the 3 I definitely felt it.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:03 PM
Been a while since I've updated, so here goes.

About a month ago (same day as the end of finals week), somebody hit my car while I was at work. Unfortunately, it was a hit and run, and we never pinned the guy but I'm pretty sure I know who it was. He was definitely under the influence (and I used to work with him) and it's the only situation that makes sense, but there wasn't enough damage to his car compared to mine. At least according to the officer. Anyways, had to replace the door completely as well as the fender (damaged from opening the door a lot the next day). The shop did a great job, and I was impressed that they got it all done in 4 days, just a week after the accident.

Anyways, the necessary pics of the $2200 in damage:
Name:  Accident%201_zpshen7tpjd.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  Accident%202_zpssr160bje.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  64.1 KB

Name:  Accident%203_zpsg1ay6uwl.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  103.5 KB

Name:  Accident%205_zpsxdam4zu9.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  116.6 KB

Name:  Accident%204_zpsah1zt7bt.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  73.0 KB

Name:  Accident%206_zpsrfnpxrmn.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  56.1 KB

Ultimately, with how separated the door was from the frame I'm just glad that the car didn't think the door was permanently open so I couldn't lock it. I had a 12 hour delivery shift the next day, so that would've been bad news (not to mention the rain).

Next, I decided that I was going to get into a new car. However, through some bad news at the bank and the dealer, those plans have for the most part changed. I have decided to put on a roof rack somehow (I remember seeing a solution for a modified Yakima on here) and start modding after that.

First thing is to get some new HIDs, since my Kensun system went to crap. Came out to the garage one night to find the low beams stuck on. Nothing happened when I changed the switch from auto to off, no response to flashing high beams either. My parking lights and fog lights still functioned normally, but I think the harness is what failed. Very frustrating, and they had apparently been on for a while because the ballasts were super hot. Gonna be emailing Kensun in a bit, and probably ordering a DDM kit to replace it. Didn't have any issues with that one when I had them in my Mazda, and had them in there a lot longer. And they were cheaper!

In addition to my HIDs, I would like to retrofit some projector headlights. I have a couple of projectors from a mod that I was going to do to my Protege, and am hoping to make it work.

Next mod will be to install a set of Cadillac 4-Note Horns. I hate the dinky little horn that comes with the car, and miss that horn from my Mazda.

Also gonna get some LED reverse lights. Miss those a lot from my Mazda, and they made a huge difference versus the halogen. And with how big the reflectors are for the backup lights, there would be a huge difference.

And finally, somewhere down the road I would like to get some exhaust put on my car. A little deeper, but no fart cans. I was thinking straight piping it, but want to see what else I need to do to get it right.

Okay, ranting over. Suggestions? Nix any of these? I need it to be on a lower budget for now.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:13 PM
It's been a while, but with winter (and hopefully graduation) coming up I'm gonna have some more free time to work and update.

First, I converted my interior, license plate, and backup lights to LEDs, and they are awesome! Easily twice as bright as the stock lights, and it is a huge help since most of my time with the car is at night. I used four different styles of bulbs, but I think I have the best setup with a reasonable cost.
Backups: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
License plate lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Dome and trunk lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Front map lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So a little complicated, and I have a bunch leftover from the license plate light set, but there's a story behind that one (involves an older set of cheap Chinese bulbs melting...).

Anyways, I haven't made any progress on the projector/LED conversion front, but it's because of money stuff (as per usual). Hopefully I'll have a new job in a couple months and will be able to get this project going again. I bought the Cadillac Horns already, but found out when I got back to Minnesota (got from a junkyard in SD visiting my family) that there were no harnesses attached. *facepalm* So those are on the order list, along with all the projector pieces.

Also have decided to start looking for a roof rack again. Granted I won't need this until the spring, but if I find a good deal on craigslist I won't pass it up.

In less-than-pleasing news, I installed brand new snow tires the first week of September. I will admit, this wasn't the best decision on my part, but it ended up being unreasonably warm the next month and a half. So my front tires are almost shot already (7000 miles) while my back ones are still good to go. I think I might sell the backs and find a full set in the next few weeks, maybe even downsize my rims if the price is right.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:19 AM
Hey esnave09, interesting mini blog you got here..anyhow wanted to ask how hard it would be if I were to add fog lights to the LX model and where does the switch go?

Old 01-25-2016, 09:18 PM
To be honest, I don't know how hard it would be to install fog lights. I know that the dealer will do it for you, but since the fog light switch is on the turn signal stalk it might be a little too difficult to do on your own. If you want to install some yourself, just try for some aftermarket ones and install the switch by the traction control button on one of the blanks.

BTW, update is coming soon. I'm at work, otherwise I would post it right now.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:25 PM
Alright. Full update time.

Going back to last winter, I had started hearing a grinding noise when I first started my car in the cold. It went away once spring rolled around, but later in the summer I started hearing it again. Brought it to the dealer and they replaced the VTEC actuator. This was something that had been recommended for some CR-Vs and 4-cylinder Accords, but wasn't a total fix (as some people have voiced on forums, including here). The dealer even called in to Honda HQ and they said the same thing, even though the problem hadn't been documented for the Fit. So that resolved the problem for now.

Over the holidays, I ordered and installed two brand new snow tires on the front to match the backs. The backs are still at least 75%, so these will definitely last through the next couple winters now that it's colder out.

I had my car in for a service last week, and had a slew of inspections/services performed (for me, at least). First and main reason was to get my last prepaid oil change (Sentinel package).
Second, I heard a noise from my fan that I wanted inspected. It's only on speed 2 when the car is already warmed up. When I restart the car, the fan will make a vibrating/whirring noise when it first starts up again. Techs couldn't replicate it, but they documented the problem and I can more than likely get it fixed under warranty when they do find the problem.
Third, my starter noise. It was recently sub-zero, with some nights having -30 wind chills. After my car sat at work all night, I would start it up and then hear the grinding noise that I heard and had fixed a few months ago. It's only when it's below zero out, and it was around 20 degrees when I left my car overnight before the service, so the techs again couldn't replicate it and want me to bring it back when it's colder.
Finally, there was the product update (aka recall) for the door handles. I didn't know about it until I stopped in for the service, and the shop manager (used to work there, so he always helps me out) checked my VIN, told me that I qualified for it.

LED updates. One of my license plate lights started flickering back and forth between bright and dim, couldn't figure out why, so I replaced it (thank God I got a 10 pack). Also, two of the diodes (?) of the five on my trunk light burned out. Conveniently, they were the two that were closest to the trunk. To remedy this, since the other ones still work, I pulled out the assembly and covered the back of the light with aluminum foil. All is well now! (BTW, would recommend doing this regardless of whether or not your light is working)

One last thing. When my car was in the shop last week, they found out that not one, but BOTH of my rear shocks were leaking fluid!!! So because I snuck into the shop 400 miles before my warranty expired, they are going to replace them for free tomorrow!

So my total bill for my 35k service and repairs: $0.00!

Old 01-27-2016, 07:44 PM
Forgot one thing. With my tax return coming up, I'm debating a few things. If it's anything like last year, I'll be getting a nice chunk of change. So a few things that I'm looking into:
1) FINALLY get to my projector retrofit project
2) Roof rack
3) Summer rims and tires
4) Remote start

I know it's a lot, but there is one more thing. I'm throwing around the idea of getting http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-2016-Honda-Fit-Rear-Full-LED-Light-Bar-Tail-Lights-Switchback-Black-Clear/281856593984?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D34492%26meid%3Dbc54df9118214e95acbf68fb7aecc7e5%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D301382297281.

But like my past few plans, they are a little bit more dreams than probable reality. Any thoughts, particularly about the tail lights?

Old 08-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Alright got a bit of updating to do.
1) Crossed 50k a month ago, now over 55k thanks to moving to the Minneapolis area and starting as an Uber driver part time.
2) Replaced front brake pads (at a shop, because the caliper mounting bolts were a bitch)
3) A rear shock is again bad. Second time since I've had the car. The plan was to find some aftermarket shocks and struts and lower the Ch3rrybomb on springs (since coilovers are too rough for passengers), but nobody makes shocks/struts for the GK yet that I know of.
4) The projector retrofit is coming back into play. Starting to collect parts for it, and once I move into my own place (hopefully within a month) I'll tackle that project. The plan right now is for LED strips for DRLs (shutting off with headlights) and 6000k low/high beams with 3000k fogs. Debating LED turn signals to go with this, although I may use the LED strips for turn signals too.
5) Finally bought the Thule roof rack for my car. Square crossbars and an older Thule fairing with some paint spilled on it. Picked up the Yakima JayLow kayak attachment (folds flat, vertical for 2+ kayaks, and angled for one kayak), and a Curt roof basket. However, with the spread of the Thule bars on the Fit, I had to order the 12-inch extension which is arriving today. I'm kinda worried that the length of the basket with the extension will look dorky on the tiny Fit, but oh well.

Pics will be coming soon!

Old 08-01-2016, 03:41 PM
Don't mind the Snapchats....

Dirty Ch3rrybomb in these two....
Name:  20160727_162352_zpsorpuikxy.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  384.4 KB

Name:  Snapchat-5833666961384116794_zpsibhlgauh.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  202.5 KB

From my friend's snap, because I lost my pic somehow....
Name:  96695159-aaf3-4412-89cc-79944abf6520_zpsy4djehqf.png
Views: 108
Size:  923.0 KB

Alright and now I need ideas of what to do with my fairing. Debating between painting it black (but keeping the Thule logo) and just stickerbombing it. You can see the remnants of some stickers, but I'd want stuff to represent me.
Name:  20160701_203338_zpsfw7wkbrm.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  120.8 KB

Old 08-01-2016, 10:00 PM
What's the extension? The 477 Short Roof Adapter? Be careful that you don't push the rack too far back or the wing will hit when you open the hatch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Say Hello to the Ch3rrybomb!