3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda Customer Service: Fit Front Bumper Beam Replacement Story

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 02:40 PM
Honda Customer Service: Fit Front Bumper Beam Replacement Story

So, I need some input here. After reading this, tell me if this is just bad luck, or bad customer service from Honda:

I have an EX-L Navi Fit and really like it. I've owned Honda's my entire life. I knew when I purchased the car that it would require the front bumper replacement, but I wasn't concerned about it. So here's the rub: Someone just hit and ran (another story in itself) and they damaged the front bumper, here are some pics:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6B...ew?usp=sharing

No sooner does this accident happen then the Fit Front Bumper Beam "Product Update" letter arrives in the mail:

OK, so next I go through the insurance process and since they haven't found the suspect who hit me (yes, another story) I will be responsible for the $500 deductible. OK, well that sucks, but I'm thinking - good news, Honda is going to replace that front bumper free of charge, so I bet that will help. Well, I was wrong. Apparently since I was in an accident, they will not replace the bumper beam free of charge, as stated in their letter to me. So I call HONDA Customer Service and they confirm no, they will not pay for the bumper due to the accident, tough luck, so instead my insurance company (and therefore me since I have a deductible) has to pay for what should be a free product update. My question for everyone here is, is this just bad luck or is this bad customer service from Honda? Even if Honda said "we're sorry, that is really unfortunate, we can't replace your beam free due to the accident, but we are going to send you coupons for accessories and/or service work at a dealership". Seems like that would've been little skin off their back and WAY more effective customer service than having an upset customer who is otherwise a loyal Honda lifer.

Last edited by whitewaterhelix; 10-10-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Can you get it fixed to original specs and then have the recall work done separately?

I'm guessing the replacement parts they get will include the updated beam...maybe you'll be ok?

Sounds like a nightmare.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
Makes no sense to me.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:28 PM
So you are in a crash (hit/run) involving your front bumper. It's a non moving accident so I'm to assume it's not a partial offset crash which is what the updated part would address. Car absorbs impact as designed and need repairs that require front bumper to be repaired/replaced. No matter if there was a recall for the impacted part or not it wasn't due to Hondas design that the accident happened. No matter what your insurance company is liable for the replacement/repairs of the damaged parts.
Replacement of the bumper beam by honda would not repair any cosmetic damage to the bumper cover as it is only removed and reinstalled. If the hit/run didn't damage the bumper beam then when accident repairs are completed you can still have honda perform the recall.
Think of it this way. If the recall was performed last week on your car you would still be on the hook for the accident damage. Honda has done nothing wrong in denying a claim here.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by whitewaterhelix
So, I need some input here. After reading this, tell me if this is just bad luck, or bad customer service from Honda:

I have an EX-L Navi Fit and really like it. I've owned Honda's my entire life. I knew when I purchased the car that it would require the front bumper replacement, but I wasn't concerned about it. So here's the rub: Someone just hit and ran (another story in itself) and they damaged the front bumper, here are some pics:

No sooner does this accident happen then the Fit Front Bumper Beam "Product Update" letter arrives in the mail:

OK, so next I go through the insurance process and since they haven't found the suspect who hit me (yes, another story) I will be responsible for the $500 deductible. OK, well that sucks, but I'm thinking - good news, Honda is going to replace that front bumper free of charge, so I bet that will help. Well, I was wrong. Apparently since I was in an accident, they will not replace the bumper beam free of charge, as stated in their letter to me. So I call HONDA Customer Service and they confirm no, they will not pay for the bumper due to the accident, tough luck, so instead my insurance company (and therefore me since I have a deductible) has to pay for what should be a free product update. My question for everyone here is, is this just bad luck or is this bad customer service from Honda? Even if Honda said "we're sorry, that is really unfortunate, we can't replace your beam free due to the accident, but we are going to send you coupons for accessories and/or service work at a dealership". Seems like that would've been little skin off their back and WAY more effective customer service than having an upset customer who is otherwise a loyal Honda lifer.
Hi whitewaterhelix,

We are sorry to hear about experience and about what happened to your vehicle. I reviewed the campaign for the bumper beam and the bumper is not being replaced, just the bumper beam. The dealership would not be replacing the bumper. I would suggest returning the vehicle back to its original condition so the dealership can replace the bumper beam for you under the product update.

Thank you,

Jonathan

Old 10-10-2014, 04:53 PM
Hi Jonathan,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the dealer/repair shop be installing the new/improved bumper beam anyways? I would think Honda would have discontinued the old bumper beams. Just sayin.

@ whitewaterhelix - Sorry to hear about the accident, hope everything works out. At least no one was injured.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by HondaCustSvc
Hi whitewaterhelix,

We are sorry to hear about experience and about what happened to your vehicle. I reviewed the campaign for the bumper beam and the bumper is not being replaced, just the bumper beam. The dealership would not be replacing the bumper. I would suggest returning the vehicle back to its original condition so the dealership can replace the bumper beam for you under the product update.

Thank you,

Jonathan
Hi Jonathan

The front bumper beam is being replaced along with the bumper cover because both were damaged as you can see in the photo links I sent. They are charging me for the bumper beam replacement, which is part #71130TK6A00ZZ and is priced out on my estimate at $234.53. It's a lame situation all around and it is just frustrating to be asked to pay for a part that is being offered at no charge to all the people who didn't happen to get in an accident right as the update was issued. Regardless of the standard procedure it just doesn't sit well with me from a customer service perspective, which I deal with in my job as well.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Hey whitewaterhelix, although 215$ isn't much IMO, you could try and find a totalled Fit (from a side or rear impact) in a junk yard and get the bumper beam for cheaper from the junk yard and then get it switched under warranty. It does nothing for the bumper cover which is probably destroyed but at least you would save on the replacement beam.

I think that Honda can't really do much. If there's a recall on a part but the part has been damaged due to an accident or vandalism, I can't see how they could replace that under recall. Sorry to hear about your bad luck! My deductible for vandalism is 250 and 500$ for accidents. Couldn't you convince your insurers that this a form of vandalism and not an road accident (since you were parked) and get a lower deductible? Just thinking' aloud here.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
Also, since the 2015 car is so recent, if you found a junked one in the right color it would be cheaper to replace than a full on new replacement and the paint match would be spot on since the car hasn't been around long enough to suffer from fade (sun).

Old 10-10-2014, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
Looking at your pictures of the original bumper beam, is it not possible to reattach that part and let the body shop then just replace the cosmetic portion of the car? It seems to me that you would then be entitled to a bumper beam replacement under the terms of the replacement program.

Last edited by Vanguard; 10-10-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:39 AM
I have to side with Honda on this. You're basically asking them (or the dealer) to pay for collision damage (that's what your insurance is for) and THEN updating the beam, which are two different things. The accident could've occurred before or after updating the beam, and in either case you'll be out your deductible.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by haudoodles
I have to side with Honda on this. You're basically asking them (or the dealer) to pay for collision damage (that's what your insurance is for) and THEN updating the beam, which are two different things. The accident could've occurred before or after updating the beam, and in either case you'll be out your deductible.
Thanks for the replies. I do see both sides of this for sure. In the scheme of things it's not a huge deal and I'll have my car back soon enough and be out the deductible (unless they catch the hit and runner - I was at an intersection stopped, s/he sideswiped me and ran a red light and I couldn't get the license, but did get a witness...still little chance they will catch them). I deal with warranty issues with my job and one thing I've learned is that small jestures on the part of a brand (where they bear no official responsibility) go a LOOOONG way. I've seen it time and time again and it can end up being the best ROI in the form of brand loyalty and positive PR from the customer.