3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

LX vs EX - The undocumented differences

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LxFit
Wow that cyclist stereo looks great!

god that muffler is deteriorating already, Did you know the factory muffler has a lifetime warranty?
Not sure if there was sarcasm... That muffler is from a guy in another thread doing a bunch of different stuff with his exhaust. Not factory at all.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Hmm, what car does that remind me of?
Ha! I've got two of those out in my shop!

es

Old 10-21-2014, 05:07 PM
I bought the LX because I did not want sunroof, paddle shifters or smart key. I just have a basic cell phone which I don't use when driving. I have a hardwired police scanner mounted on passenger side floor area by console and use a wire type antenna on passenger side of windshield from top to bottom tucked by molding so you can barely notice it. Being hearing impaired I have a speaker mounted between bottom of headrest and top of seat. Seldom listen to stock radio except for Oldies on CD. No bluetooth or other stuff. Do not need armrest since I drive with both hands on wheel. Bill#22335.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by miroman86
Sure they can have a custom wallpaper, but I don't think its as flexible as the one in the EX like what I did..

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...er-thread.html

In the thread above, people are just mentioning they don't have the same options in terms of how the wallpaper can be used... I don't really know the extent of the features the LX has in regards to the custom wallpapers, but it certainly can't have what I made for the EX.
Thanks, I just put in Back to The Future thanks to your post & I was disappointed to just find out that my 10 year old doesn't remember the Back to the Future ride that used to be a Universal Studios.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by stembridge
I found this pic of an LX on another thread:

Part can be ordered here.

When I get a moment, I'll compare with the dirty side of my EX...

es
i just looked at the underside of my EX
looks exactly same as the yellow LX fit with the same underbody plastic panels.
i don't believe there is difference in the underbody panel in regards to different trim level

Old 10-21-2014, 08:36 PM
No that muffler is a P.O.S. I thought is was funny that's the first thing a Ricer changes is the Muffler, Despite The factory one looking good, and well made w/ lifetime warranty from Honda.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:59 PM
LX vs. EX gas mileage and underbody panels

Originally Posted by kenji815
i just looked at the underside of my EX
looks exactly same as the yellow LX fit with the same underbody plastic panels.
i don't believe there is difference in the underbody panel in regards to different trim level

I had also read the pre-introduction comments about differing underbody panels giving the better fuel economy numbers on the LX Fit and was very curious about it. With not many cars at dealers to look at, I was never able to see both an EX and an LX at the same time at one dealer, as I got on hands and knees to peek under the cars.

When buying our 2015 LX 6MT I questioned the salesman, who told me that in the factory training they received at the dealership, the factory rep told them the difference in EPA rating was because the EPA knocked 3 mpg off the EX CVT's for having paddle shifters. It was not due to specific 2015 Fit testing the EPA did on their fuel economy dyno/rolling road. Perhaps the EPA expects cars equipped with paddle shifters to be driven more aggressively than plain CVT cars, resulting in lower fuel economy.

While at the dealer, I visited the service department and spoke with the mechanic/technician that had done the PDI. He was unaware of a difference in underbody panels between the LX and EX models, but hadn't been looking for one and had not seen too many 2015 Fits.

The dealer parts department was kind enough to look up the underbody panels while I stood there. The listing may have called for a different panel under MT vs. CVT cars, but no difference between LX and EX cars. I wonder what anyone else has discovered in looking at Honda's parts page?

The 600 mile drive home would have been an identical feature, regardless of the model I bought.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cckid
...the factory rep told them the difference in EPA rating was because the EPA knocked 3 mpg off the EX CVT's for having paddle shifters. It was not due to specific 2015 Fit testing the EPA did on their fuel economy dyno/rolling road. Perhaps the EPA expects cars equipped with paddle shifters to be driven more aggressively than plain CVT cars, resulting in lower fuel economy.
That's the only reason I've heard that makes sense to me.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by cckid
I questioned the salesman, who told me that in the factory training they received at the dealership, the factory rep told them the difference in EPA rating was because the EPA knocked 3 mpg off the EX CVT's for having paddle shifters.
That's a crock because the EPA considers the default condition of the car as their baseline. The default with paddle shifters is full-auto mode so the shifters make no difference at all and the EPA doesn't knock MPG on or off arbitrarily.

The EPA does not test the vehicles themselves. The manufacturers test their own vehicles and are on their honor to report the numbers honestly. Some manufacturers like Kia and Hyundai have been caught overreporting their MPG numbers and have had to make restitution to customers.

My hypothesis is that Honda doesn't want that to happen to them so they inflated the mileage of only one trim, the LX CVT, in order to get over the magic 40MPG figure. They can use that number for advertising and still be reasonably sure that not enough LX owners will get together to protest the overstated number. I think that the vague reference to aerodynamic improvement is just a smokescreen to explain the discrepancy.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
The LX weighs less than the EX (nearly 100 lbs difference). That could be responsible for some of any difference in mpg.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
No AUX input on EX models... stupid move.

Love the AUX input on my GE. I can plug in my ANDROID and antique ZUNE
Cannot imagine what you would use an HDMI for - but maybe all devices in the future will connect this way.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Evesowner
The LX weighs less than the EX (nearly 100 lbs difference). That could be responsible for some of any difference in mpg.
Since you brought up weight...

The EX six-speed weighs 60 pounds more than the LX six-speed, so we can say the cost of the EX trim (sunroof, etc) is 60 pounds.

The LX CVT weighs 31 pounds more than the LX six-speed, so we can say the cost of the CVT is 31 pounds.

60 pounds + 31 pounds means the EX CVT should weigh 91 pounds more than the LX six-speed, but it doesn't. It weighs 117 pounds more. There's 26 pounds more on the EX CVT not accounted for in either the EX six-speed weight gain or the LX CVT weight gain. What is it? Certainly not just paddle shifters. That's something undocumented.

Last edited by Fitmo; 10-22-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitmo
There's 26 pounds more on the EX CVT not accounted for in either the EX six-speed weight gain or the LX CVT weight gain. What is it? Certainly not just paddle shifters. That's something undocumented.
Sound deadener? Different radio? Cast vs. steel wheels (with different tires)?

es

Old 10-22-2014, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
Chalk it up to that same kind of math the government uses?

Though I'd bet the paddle shifters are heavier than you think and quite possibly are to blame.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member

es
My lx did not come with carpets... That's about 5 lbs there.

Also the radio on the ex might be slightly heavier. The push start system should add some weight. Most of the weight added is probably from the wheels.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member

es
He already accounted for the EX wheels, tires, and radio, as they are the same on the EX MT as on the EX CVT.

The EX six-speed weighs 60 pounds more than the LX six-speed, so we can say the cost of the EX trim (sunroof, etc) is 60 pounds.
Fitmo,

It very well may be the paddle shifters and associated parts as the weight difference between the EX MT and the EX CVT is 57 lbs (26 lbs more than the 31 lbs difference between the LX MT and the LX CVT).

Last edited by Lane03; 10-22-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Fitmo
Since you brought up weight...

The LX CVT weighs 31 pounds more than the LX six-speed, so we can say the cost of the CVT is 31 pounds.

60 pounds + 31 pounds means the EX CVT should weigh 91 pounds more than the LX six-speed, but it doesn't. It weighs 117 pounds more. There's 26 pounds more on the EX CVT not accounted for in either the EX six-speed weight gain or the LX CVT weight gain. What is it? Certainly not just paddle shifters. That's something undocumented.
Extra 2 speakers on EX models bro..

Old 10-23-2014, 12:26 AM
Hello all first and foremost Im a Noob,

your mpg differences are mostly due to the 15 vs 16 inch wheel.
your weight comes from mostly moon roof & carpet & tweeters.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
Extra 2 speakers on EX models bro..
The EX 6-speed gets those so that's accounted for in the 60 pounds. EX six-speed (2573) minus LX six-speed (2513) = 60 pounds

Besides paddle shifters, what does the EX CVT get that the EX six-speed or LX CVT doesn't that's part of an unaccounted additional 26 pounds. It may well be additional sound insulation since many drivers consider different 4-cylinder + CVT brands and models to be loud under heavy acceleration. My wife says it sounds like a growl. I'm good with that.

Last edited by Fitmo; 10-23-2014 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member
... mpg differences are mostly due to the 15 vs 16 inch wheel.
(2 x (185/25.4 x 0.60)) + 15 = 23.74" diameter

(2 x (185/25.4 x 0.55)) + 16 = 24.01" diameter

24.01 ÷ 23.74 = 1.011 or only 1.1% larger diameter on a 185/55R16… not much difference

...your weight comes from mostly moon roof & carpet & tweeters.
I'd say sunroof, sound insulation (including wheel well liners), fog lights, head unit, tweeters, HDMI and 2nd USB port, LaneWatch camera… not sure about carpet… is there more or is it thicker in the EX?

Quick Reply: LX vs EX - The undocumented differences