3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Still waiting for the Fit I ordered back in early Aug

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
...dealers cannot "order" a car. They are allocated cars by Honda......dealer was lying........exactly the car you want.

Correct but allow me to clarrify a bit more.

When a new model is introduced the first shipment (or maybe the first couple of shipments) are based on allocation. Dealer cannot choose color nor models.

The allocation after continues in terms of particular models and quantity. But only in numbers.

Lets say "small dealer's" allocation for Dec. is 14 units - 5 LX's (2 - 6 spd, 3 CVT) - 7 EX's (1 - 6 spd, 6 CVT) - 2 EX-L's (CVT).
He has to get those as spec'd but he can order and choose the colors that he thinks will sell on his lot.

Hope that makes the OP a bit more relaxed knowing that her dealer may not be lying after all. Pester them for a VIN if they insist that its on its way. If they can't come up with one, ask for your deposit back and search elsewhere.

Good luck and your car will appear in no time!!!

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 10-23-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by ROTTBOY
Correct but allow me to clarrify a bit more.

When a new model is introduced the first shipment (or maybe the first couple of shipments) are based on allocation. Dealer cannot choose color nor models.

The allocation after continues in terms of particular models and quantity. But only in numbers.

Lets say "small dealer's" allocation for Dec. is 14 units - 5 LX's (2 - 6 spd, 3 CVT) - 7 EX's (1 - 6 spd, 6 CVT) - 2 EX-L's (CVT).
He has to get those as spec'd but he can order and choose the colors that he thinks will sell on his lot.

Hope that makes the OP a bit more relaxed knowing that her dealer may not be lying after all. Pester them for a VIN if they insist that its on its way. If they can't come up with one, ask for your deposit back and search elsewhere.

Good luck and your car will appear in no time!!!
Question for ya, when an order is placed do the cars come installed with any accessories that you chose during the initial order or do they come separate to the dealer for them to install in the vehicle?

REply: Higher end vehicles have lots of accessories that have to be ordered and are installed only in the factory. Honda Fit is not in this category. It's ordered from the factory by model designation in manual or CVT. Nothing can be added except the dealer's choice of color.

The OEM accessories that are available for the MDM GK Fit are either installed by the dealer, in my case, myself. Happy shopping!!! - rttby

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 10-30-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:09 AM
We "ordered" a blue EX/MT on June 13th and we're still waiting. We're in a pretty big metro with 6 good sized dealers within 25 miles and we're watching inventory regularly and have inquired occasionally at all of them without any success. Yes, they've all tried to sell us an LX or a CVT or a different color but when we tell them that we only want what we want they just sign out - probably indicative of the fact that they really cannot "order" specific cars. We did find cars and were close making deals on blue EX/MT's 200+ miles away, but ultimately it wasn't worth my time/money.

We were last told in early Sept that the car we "ordered' was slated for production at the end of October with delivery the 1st or 2nd week of November, so I suppose our wait may be coming to an end soon, though I'm not holding my breath. I sincerely hope this thing is worth the wait when it finally comes in.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:32 PM
Some dealers in SoCal are flush with 6MT cars in just about any color or trim you want:

2013-2014, 2015 Honda Los Angeles Area Dealer Sales, Lease, Specials - Galpin Honda

12 6-speeds, only one CVT on an EX-L! Funny how the allocations get so odd. 6MTs used to be hard to find.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by K. Grobinski

We were last told in early Sept that the car we "ordered' was slated for production at the end of October with delivery the 1st or 2nd week of November...
That's the exact wording my honda dealer is stringing me along with... they now claim there is a vin but haven't given it to me yet...

Old 10-29-2014, 01:25 AM
5 Year Member
As the social media guy said, dealers cannot "order" a car. They are allocated cars by Honda.

In other words, that dealer was lying to you about their ability to have cars built to order.

They're just hoping that the car you want comes to them at random (unlikely if it is a small dealer) or that you get tired of waiting and take whatever car they get. In the meantime, your deposit deters you from working with other dealers who might get exactly the car you want.
That is what my local dealership told me about "ordering" a car with the color and trim I wanted. The sales guy said he can't order because Honda simply sends the cars at random to various dealerships in the area. So I can see why other dealers have partnerships with each other to swap cars if necessary. So all of this is on Honda for doing this stupid way of business.

I originally wanted the Passion Berry Purple EX-L with Navi which I thought would be a cool color but was told only two were available in California which is like 4 hours drive for me and the big expense of a porter. After looking around on the lot of different colors from white, black and grey. I realized the Modern Steel Metallic is actually pretty cool color so I went with it.

Very happy with the color choice. I think at the end I may have ended up with that color over the passion berry anyway.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:52 AM
Originally Posted by minkbikini
That's the exact wording my honda dealer is stringing me along with... they now claim there is a vin but haven't given it to me yet...
When they give it to you run it through an on-line VIN decoder. If they're just making one up it will likely fail the check digit test.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:46 PM
When they give it to you run it through an on-line VIN decoder. If they're just making one up it will likely fail the check digit test.
thanks for the info.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:32 PM
just accepted an offer from the dealer on a in-transit vehicle. hope that it is nothing like what you guys have experienced!

Old 10-30-2014, 07:01 AM
5 Year Member
and to think I waited 3 days to get my GE TW auto back in 09. And that included waiting for undercoating to be done.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
I had been in contact with Courtesy Palm Harbor before our move via internet and phone, so they knew I wanted an EX CVT (well, I wanted MT but knew that was out of the question at the time I needed the car). My first choice was red, but I wasn't fussy. Not only did a silver one come in before we got to Florida, but a red one came in on 6/25 and got switched to me. We bought it 6/26 the day we arrived and picked it up 6/28. So thankful in light of these stories!