3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Automatic Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
Automatic Headlights

When I know I'll be driving at night, I turn the headlight switch to Auto, so the lights will turn on when I need them. I like the way they stay on for a little while when I shut the car off, giving me enough light to get where I'm going. I also like the way everything lights up when I approach the car and use the remote to unlock it.

A question: I've never noticed, but does this feature turn on the little lights (parking lights) and then turn on the headlights when it gets darker, or do they all come on at the same time? I'm betting it's all or nothing.

A tip: There are two small light indicators in the instrument cluster showing when the lights are turned on, but it doesn't differentiate between parking lights and headlights. I've found a way to have the car tell me when the headlights are turned on. If you turn the fog light switch to the On position and leave it there, whenever the headlights are on, you will see the larger light symbol below the little lights in the dash cluster.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
When on auto, either the DRLs are on, or the headlights. It won't just turn the parking lights on, which is good because I think it's absolutely stupid when people drive around at dawn or dusk with just their parking lights on. Are they that lazy that they can't give their headlight stalk that extra click? They call them parking lights because that's what they're for.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
When on auto, either the DRLs are on, or the headlights. It won't just turn the parking lights on, which is good because I think it's absolutely stupid when people drive around at dawn or dusk with just their parking lights on. Are they that lazy that they can't give their headlight stalk that extra click? They call them parking lights because that's what they're for.
Thanks. That makes sense.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:28 PM
They call them parking lights because that's what they're for.
But, in some places they are called "City Lights" because they are intended for use while driving on illuminated streets!

I wouldn't do that in the US, but standards aren't the same everywhere!

Old 11-06-2014, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
But, in some places they are called "City Lights" because they are intended for use while driving on illuminated streets!

I wouldn't do that in the US, but standards aren't the same everywhere!
I've heard about people using those little lights for city driving, but that doesn't sound like a good idea. On the other hand, how many people leave their parking lights on when they park?

Old 12-13-2014, 10:37 PM
Who is in this country use parking lights as parking lights?Do you see somebody doing that? Do you use them regularly? No? Of course no,because there is not much sense to use them.( There is much more sense to use left turn signal when you planning to turn left while approaching roundabout: you are not required to do this in our state, but I'm personally disagree). But I'm regularly use parking light when is not dark enough to have headlights turned on.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mr. Alex
But I'm regularly use parking light when is not dark enough to have headlights turned on.
Right! When I need headlights, I use them, but when conditions are less than perfect, I'll use the "parking lights." I'm talking about times when I could just as well leave the lights off. They make the car just a bit more noticeable, especially from the rear.

Related comment. Many European countries require a red, rear fog light to make cars more visible in the fog.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:59 PM
I've only lived in four different states (TX, NM, CO, GA), but in every one of them it was illegal to drive with only your parking lights on.

The city lights used in Europe are not parking lights and cars have both city lights and parking lights.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:03 PM
Agreed, in any low light situation I turn my headlights all the way on (this was in my accord where i could pick) I feel that people forget that other people need to see you too even though you can still see just fine. hence why day time lights are showing up on more and more cars standard. i actually have the park lights cut off out because i didn't like how it looked with my yellow fogs.