3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

HDMI Mirroring while driving - possible hack

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
All models have Speed-Sensitive Volume Control so the HU's have to be getting some speed data somehow.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
Perhaps it's because of my age but I feel a car with an HDMI input has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of or seen.

In all the years I've been driving, never waiting on some one, have I had this dying urge to watch a video.

And in regards to hacking it, I hope it doesn't work. For everybody else's sake! Last thing we need are inattentive drivers because they are watching the latest Youtube video.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by hogwylde
Perhaps it's because of my age but I feel a car with an HDMI input has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of or seen.

In all the years I've been driving, never waiting on some one, have I had this dying urge to watch a video.

And in regards to hacking it, I hope it doesn't work. For everybody else's sake! Last thing we need are inattentive drivers because they are watching the latest Youtube video.
It's not about youtube, it's about getting Google Maps or Waze onto the screen, both of which are significantly better than Honda's navigation system.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you've completely missed the point. Everyone I've heard from on this forum wants to use the HDMI input to mirror apps like Waze or Google Maps, not watch YouTube while they drive. I understand the need for Honda to be responsible and disable features that could be misused while the car is moving, but in doing so they have forced us into a corner with their horrible navigation app which I, in principle, disagree with.

While the Tesla may not be the best example due to its cost, the computer in that car is completely unrestricted and users can do whatever they like at any time. When I pay this much money for a piece of technology with all these great advertised features and it is delivered crippled, I choose to do something about it.

I'm a young engineer that enjoys figuring out how things work and improving any sort of technology I use on a daily basis. I share my findings because not everyone has the knowledge to do so themselves, and because I have faith that people who are intelligent enough to do what it takes to follow through with this sort of "hack" have at least a iota of responsibility and will use the feature with some common sense. And trust me Hogwylde, I have absolutely thought through the idea that someone (if we are successful) goes and does something stupid with their display while driving, and gets hurt or killed. I'm not quite sure how I will prevent that sort of thing, but the thought is definitely at the forefront of my mind. That is the last thing I could ever want to happen.

EDIT: You beat me to it NotBlake!

Old 12-08-2014, 02:09 PM
+1 for google maps.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Ductapemaster
I understand the need for Honda to be responsible and disable features that could be misused while the car is moving,...
While I agree with what you are saying, I disagree that Honda should make these things inaccessable. Certainly the default should be to defeat the HDMI while driving, but the owner should be able to turn it on after agreeing to an appropriate disclaimer. This would protect Honda from the lawyers while still allowing owners to use the screen for navigation. Honda's blanket defeat of the HDMI is a blatant sales ploy for their own navigation system and linking cables.

Heck, one could even analyze the signal being sent to the HDMI and distinguish between video and data.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
While I agree with what you are saying, I disagree that Honda should make these things inaccessable. Certainly the default should be to defeat the HDMI while driving, but the owner should be able to turn it on after agreeing to an appropriate disclaimer. This would protect Honda from the lawyers while still allowing owners to use the screen for navigation. Honda's blanket defeat of the HDMI is a blatant sales ploy for their own navigation system and linking cables.

Heck, one could even analyze the signal being sent to the HDMI and distinguish between video and data.
Except Honda didn't manufacture the unit, Mitsubishi did.

On the flipside, I have an aftermarket unit (Kenwood DNN991HD) that locks out any video when it drive and other features... but I wouldn't know what they are since I did my own bypass. Let's put it this way, the previous unit I had, DNX9980HD also had a lockout that interferes with navigation input! I also did the bypass for that one too after experiencing the lockout first hand.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:10 PM

How does it feel to be alone, grandpa? haha Sorry, couldn't resist!

Old 02-10-2015, 11:34 PM

I agree, I think it's something Honda can make a video for and put on Youtube. I saw that my dealer placed a Honda video about the 7" touchscreen in Honda vehicles and how to use it. Of course it mentioned iphones and Siri and nothing about true android support. It would be nice for smartphone/tablet navigation. My aging GPSr (2011 Garmin 2360) is getting really slow to type searches and the voice recognition of names is mediocre. It didn't recognize Willis Tower when I was in Chicago this week...

Originally Posted by Goobers
Except Honda didn't manufacture the unit, Mitsubishi did.

On the flipside, I have an aftermarket unit (Kenwood DNN991HD) that locks out any video when it drive and other features... but I wouldn't know what they are since I did my own bypass. Let's put it this way, the previous unit I had, DNX9980HD also had a lockout that interferes with navigation input! I also did the bypass for that one too after experiencing the lockout first hand.
Are you able to still use all cameras with the new head unit and receive the trip info from the car with the aftermarket head unit?

Old 02-11-2015, 03:55 PM
The video input is only there to watch video with the vehicle stationary. Anything beyond that is simply hype to give the impression that you can somehow interface your phone with the screen, and with the exception of the horribly crippled Hondalink that is pure smoke.

Still, it sells a lot of EXs to the same folks who line up to get the latest iPhone two days ahead of the herd.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
The video input is only there to watch video with the vehicle stationary. Anything beyond that is simply hype to give the impression that you can somehow interface your phone with the screen, and with the exception of the horribly crippled Hondalink that is pure smoke.

Still, it sells a lot of EXs to the same folks who line up to get the latest iPhone two days ahead of the herd.
Hi,
Do we need to get micro usb to HDMI cable in order to connect phone to car for using HondaLink? I am assuming Hondalink is one more name for Mirroring.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:24 AM
5 Year Member
HondaLink® is a suite of features using both Bluetooth and wired connection. For example, HondaLink® Assist uses your Bluetooth paired phone to make an emergency call if it thinks you've been in an accident. You have to turn that on.

Here's the HondaLink® wired connection.

Last edited by Fitmo; 02-13-2015 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:38 PM
Need HELP

Not only that, but according to the Honda docs, the Navi unit has (or has enabled) a gyro in addition to the speed sensor, so it can detect vehicle rotation for turn detection. The unit uses those two sensors to augment the GPS data, which may not be available all the time, for example in a tunnel or in an "urban canyon"

However, I do believe that the mechanism for turning off the display in either model will be the same, regardless of the presence of the VSP signal. It makes sense in terms of code reuse for whoever programmed the units. Obviously speculation, but its a logical assumption!

I'd love to post the full text from the docs, but I don't want to violate the TOS of techinco.honda.com. If anyone wants direction and has a subscription, I'm happy to show you where to look though!
I need help to disable vsp for navi. Get into hidden menu besides that funky power/eject/home button one.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Brownpapi
I need help to disable vsp for navi. Get into hidden menu besides that funky power/eject/home button one.
Could you be a little bit more specific about your current issue?

Old 02-20-2015, 05:51 PM
Yes

Originally Posted by qpalmz
Could you be a little bit more specific about your current issue?
Hello. I'm attempting to disable honda link navi from locking when in motion for video or touch tone buttons for iPhone.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:46 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you've completely missed the point. Everyone I've heard from on this forum wants to use the HDMI input to mirror apps like Waze or Google Maps, not watch YouTube while they drive. I understand the need for Honda to be responsible and disable features that could be misused while the car is moving, but in doing so they have forced us into a corner with their horrible navigation app which I, in principle, disagree with.

While the Tesla may not be the best example due to its cost, the computer in that car is completely unrestricted and users can do whatever they like at any time. When I pay this much money for a piece of technology with all these great advertised features and it is delivered crippled, I choose to do something about it.

I'm a young engineer that enjoys figuring out how things work and improving any sort of technology I use on a daily basis. I share my findings because not everyone has the knowledge to do so themselves, and because I have faith that people who are intelligent enough to do what it takes to follow through with this sort of "hack" have at least a iota of responsibility and will use the feature with some common sense. And trust me Hogwylde, I have absolutely thought through the idea that someone (if we are successful) goes and does something stupid with their display while driving, and gets hurt or killed. I'm not quite sure how I will prevent that sort of thing, but the thought is definitely at the forefront of my mind. That is the last thing I could ever want to happen.

EDIT: You beat me to it NotBlake!
I like the opt for HDMI on/off function while driving because I like to use my CoPilot offline map on my I phone.