3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Sounds like gravel hitting glass

Old 03-30-2015, 05:12 PM
Sounds like gravel hitting glass

I've had my 2015 Fit for 5 months and just love it. It's got a bit over 10,000 miles on it (CVT 37.8 mpg ave) and I haven't had any problems - until recently.

I have this really strange regularly occurring noise the comes from the A-pillar on the drivers side. It sounds like I have passed an oncoming vehicle and it has kicked up small gravel pieces that have hit the windshield. It happens all the time, sometimes every 10 seconds continuing for 5 minutes or so, and today it happened while the car was running but not moving. Then again it may not happen for an hour or two.

This is a pretty loud noise. In fact if it was gravel hitting the windshield I wouldn't be surprised to see the windshield was cracked. That's how loud it is. Always on the left side near the top of the windshield.

I feel like the problem is getting worse (more often and louder). I haven't had it to the dealer yet as I'm sure it will be difficult to replicate.

Anybody had a similar problem or have any advice for me?

Old 03-30-2015, 08:27 PM
I don't have this problem but if it occurs on a regular basis as you you mentioned, perhaps you could try recording the noise on your phone? That way you can have the dealer listen to it when you bring the car in if you're not able to replicate it? Maybe something is rattling around under the hood on the driver's side? I would definitely bring it in though, that doesn't sound good!

Old 03-30-2015, 08:54 PM
Huh, that's odd. I had forgotten that the other day while making a slow turn I heard a very loud crack that startled me and that sounded just as described - a piece of gravel hitting glass. I figured it was a stuck rock coming loose from the tire treads. Only one crack was heard and when I got out and inspected the rear passenger side where I initially heard the noise from nothing could be found. What you describe is very odd.

I'm not sure my experience is related to yours, but I thought I'd respond because you so accurately described the sound I heard. Just for a bit of data I've had my Fit since Nov 2014 and it has almost 3k miles on it. Again just my recollection I believe the sound came from the rear passenger side.

I hope you are able to find the cause of it.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
I've had the same thing happen (maybe?), and it took me a little while to realize that the plastic soda/water bottle that I had placed in the left-hand cup holder was expanding due to the air that was coming from the vent that it sits directly in front of.

Any chance that could be your culprit?

Old 04-03-2015, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lane73179
I've had the same thing happen (maybe?), and it took me a little while to realize that the plastic soda/water bottle that I had placed in the left-hand cup holder was expanding due to the air that was coming from the vent that it sits directly in front of.

Any chance that could be your culprit?
Totally what happened to me, but for the first minute or two when this was happening I was really freaking out at the sound. I laughed for a bit about this once I figured out what the sound was and was quite relieved by the realized cause of the noise. I was expecting to see broken glass at some point, but it was just the stupid thin plastic water bottle making noise due to thermal expansion.