3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

A tidbit about windshield washer reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 02:10 PM
A tidbit about windshield washer reservoir

Wanted to find out if the dealer had filled the windshield washer fluid reservoir in my new Fit with just plain water or a water/anti-freeze mix. Turns out it was the latter. Here in Sunny San Diego (yes, we're having some light rain today), I don't have much use for the mix and was considering having them drain the reservoir and replace with plain water. I was informed that there was no drain on the reservoir and that the only way to get rid of what was already in there was to run the pump and spray the stuff out. Obviously, too much hassle so I'll deal with this down the road when the reservoir runs dry. However, I thought the Fit crowd might like to know about this.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
I usually refill it with water during the summer but in the winter I use the mix to keep it messing up the hoses.

Probably easier to buy a bottle of windshield fluid as it's already pre-mixed at the proper ratio.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:05 PM
Just remove the reservoir and dump it out?

I'm not sure why you'd want straight water in it instead of a mix though? It doesn't work very well to remove bugs, sap and tar, I've tried.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:47 PM
m_x
Do any of them have a drain? My old car didn't have a drain on the Windshield fluid reservoir. It seems like a fairly nonessential fluid so I would assume car makers don't often consider the need to drain it. Just be liberal with it when you wash the windshield, or siphon it out with a hose or turkey baster or something.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Next time we roast a turkey, I'll set the baster aside for the car! LMAO over that one. Thanks!

Old 12-03-2014, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
I dont get why windshield washer fluid is an issue? I've never heard of an issue with using it, what am I missing

Old 12-04-2014, 09:39 AM
m_x
Originally Posted by kbonus
Next time we roast a turkey, I'll set the baster aside for the car! LMAO over that one. Thanks!
Siphoning with a turkey baster is pretty common practice. Say you put too much oil in the case; how else would you quickly and easily pull some out?

Old 12-04-2014, 10:15 AM
Maybe I'm being thick, but I don't really get why you would want to remove what's in there. There is no disadvantage to using it. Just use it up and refill with water when it's gone. I live in Georgia - we don't get too much freezing weather, but with the bugs here the detergents in the mixes really help. And, I have been using the RainX fluid. It really helps visibility when it's raining (something it hasn't done often enough recently).

Old 12-04-2014, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
I also don't know why you would want to remove the washer fluid. Depending on where you live your tap water could leave mineral deposits after time and foul up your pump ("hard water"). Washer fluid is cheap and designed to dissolve bugs and grime better than plain water.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by k-man
I dont get why windshield washer fluid is an issue? I've never heard of an issue with using it, what am I missing
Well I assume in Canada you can almost run year round with a de-icing solution. I'm in Tennessee, and have somewhat mild winters. We change out seasonally with a cleaning solution and a de-icing version. We never put straight water in. Even when it is time to change over, we just clean the crap out of the windshield and back glass, and let the tank run dry (you can do this over a period of days). Once empty, we make the change. Adding water will only dilute whatever pre-mix you add later. Cheesewhiz also had a good point about the problems hard water causes (which we have). There is a reason I only use distilled water in my coffee maker.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by Vanguard
Well I assume in Canada you can almost run year round with a de-icing solution. I'm in Tennessee, and have somewhat mild winters. We change out seasonally with a cleaning solution and a de-icing version. We never put straight water in. Even when it is time to change over, we just clean the crap out of the windshield and back glass, and let the tank run dry (you can do this over a period of days). Once empty, we make the change. Adding water will only dilute whatever pre-mix you add later. Cheesewhiz also had a good point about the problems hard water causes (which we have). There is a reason I only use distilled water in my coffee maker.

Hmmm, that depends WHERE you live in Canada. On the west coast, we have winters very similar and sometimes warmer than Oregon! Calgary is 1000 miles inland, and yes, they get wicked winter. I usually use a solution of vinegar, dish soap and water..all year round!

Old 12-06-2014, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
Vinegar is acid so not sure if it's good idea of using even small amount of it in the reservoir as the over spray will get onto the paint.

I actually use vinegar and Dove soap to kill weeds!! RoundUp is very bad for the environment.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by DArkk
Vinegar is acid so not sure if it's good idea of using even small amount of it in the reservoir as the over spray will get onto the paint.

I actually use vinegar and Dove soap to kill weeds!! RoundUp is very bad for the environment.

I agree about Round Up - and also use vinegar and dish soap on hot sunny days to kill weeds. For my car, I only use a tiny bit. I have never had any problems with paint. Works for me!

Old 12-08-2014, 02:05 PM
I believe that the washer fluid is a factory fill, so everybody gets antifreeze, but it's not the same as the engine coolant.

This is completely logical because even in San Diego you are within three hour's drive of five ski areas. Take an overnight trip with water in that reservoir and you'll wake up to a split tank.

Also, the washer fluid has some chemicals in it that help it clean better. I'd just leave it in and be happy.

I normally don't use the windshield washer as I prefer to wipe it down more neatly myself. It is a lifesaver if you get splashed with muddy water, but that is the only time I'll turn on the squirter and here in SoCal that doesn't happen often. I still haven't used up the factory fill in my 10-year-old car!