3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

slow speed driving stumble?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 06:49 PM
Well I haven't been to dealer yet but I discovered a way to duplicate the problem every time. I was hoping others might try it as well? Drive to what ever speed you want and in 6th gear set cruise on. I was doing 40 then cancel cruise till you get to 26 mph then hit resume and just let the cruise speed the car up. Out of the 10 times I did this it would stumble every time but sometimes very minor stumble and other VERY noticeable that you knew something wasn't right? POST WHAT YOU GUYS FIND!

Last edited by Jim Grames; 01-02-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:28 PM
Jim, 26 mph in 6 gear will make the engine run well below the ideal rpm of the power curve. It most certainly will stumble. As ive mentioned before this is how the ECM is programmed. It will always default to a lean burn until called upon for more power, either first by throttle position then rpm. The stumble caused when the engine goes from lean to ideal fuel/air ratio, the few cycles transitioning from each mix is when this stumble happens.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
Jim, 26 mph in 6 gear will make the engine run well below the ideal rpm of the power curve. It most certainly will stumble. As ive mentioned before this is how the ECM is programmed. It will always default to a lean burn until called upon for more power, either first by throttle position then rpm. The stumble caused when the engine goes from lean to ideal fuel/air ratio, the few cycles transitioning from each mix is when this stumble happens.
Hey Bass can you just try it and post what you find please?

Old 01-02-2015, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Jim Grames
Hey Bass can you just try it and post what you find please?
I will certainly try it but I am expecting the exact result I just outlined. I'll even try to take a video if possible.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
I will certainly try it but I am expecting the exact result I just outlined. I'll even try to take a video if possible.
Great. thks. i got the enginelink app for iphone and hope to record some sensor data and see what it turns up.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:21 PM
I have the CVT and it has always had a little stumble at around 8-12 mph. It recovers quickly but has always been there.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by tmfit
I have the CVT and it has always had a little stumble at around 8-12 mph. It recovers quickly but has always been there.
Did you take it to dealer?

Old 03-22-2015, 10:43 AM
What's the possibility the slow speed stumble may be one of the ACTIVE SAFEFTY FEATURES listed on honda site affecting it? http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/specifications.aspx

Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) with Traction Control
Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS)
Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD)
Brake Assist

Seems to me that's a lot for the computer to continually adjusting for as well as engine mapping? I have taken it to dealer twice now and will be taking it back again! THIS THING AIN'T RIGHT!

Last edited by Jim Grames; 03-22-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:12 PM
2015 fit LX lie speed hesitation.

If I shift between 1500 - 2500ish I get a stumble or hesitation. She has done this since new. Worse when it's cold. I was hoping putting a few miles on her would clear it up. 1500 miles later and still missing. I have tried regular and premium made no difference. Drive it past 3k rpms and no stumble? No CEL. I took it to dealer and guest what? Ya you know what they said "it drives normal" So I had the mechanic go for a test ride with me and he admitted "it only does it a little" WTF! What more do I have to say? So I will take it back next week and mechanic was going to call honda on it. So anyone else having a similar issue?
Yes, I just bought my new Fit about 2 months ago (Feb. 2015). I have the automatic trans. Both myself and my wife notice a significant decrease in power at low speed. Possibly going from 1 to 2nt gear possibly. Very troublesome. I just didn't notice it when driving it for test. Taking it to HONDA dealer was as expected. No codes, no problem. Take it home. I now see here in this forum, that this a real issue. I had a 2003 Civic that I loved everyday I owned it until I sold it in Feb. Not one issue. I don't have any other issues with the Fit, Just this big one. I'm disappointed. I have told others I'm not happy with the car for that reason. It goes like crazy once you step on the gas, then slows down hard, then speeds up quickly. Very quick on the highway, almost shocking for such a small engine. I currently have 3, 200 miles on it. The long and short of it is, I'm disappointed with this car. It's a Honda, I thought it was a sure bet. I never thought I would say, "I would NOT recommend anyone to buy a FIT. 😞

Old 03-22-2015, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Gds1958
Yes, I just bought my new Fit about 2 months ago (Feb. 2015). I have the automatic trans. Both myself and my wife notice a significant decrease in power at low speed. Possibly going from 1 to 2nt gear possibly. Very troublesome. I just didn't notice it when driving it for test. Taking it to HONDA dealer was as expected. No codes, no problem. Take it home. I now see here in this forum, that this a real issue. I had a 2003 Civic that I loved everyday I owned it until I sold it in Feb. Not one issue. I don't have any other issues with the Fit, Just this big one. I'm disappointed. I have told others I'm not happy with the car for that reason. It goes like crazy once you step on the gas, then slows down hard, then speeds up quickly. Very quick on the highway, almost shocking for such a small engine. I currently have 3, 200 miles on it. The long and short of it is, I'm disappointed with this car. It's a Honda, I thought it was a sure bet. I never thought I would say, "I would NOT recommend anyone to buy a FIT. 😞
Sorry to hear that gds1958 but I think your issue is not at all the issue I have posted about here. I did test drive the auto as well but just for comparison purposes. These cars will drive as slow or as fast as you want them to go. I admit they do require a lot of throttle if you want to go fast and an auto just makes it worse. I really like my manual though I just wish it didn't have the stumbling issue!

Old 03-22-2015, 10:41 PM
Sorry to hear that gds1958 but I think your issue is not at all the issue I have posted about here. I did test drive the auto as well but just for comparison purposes. These cars will drive as slow or as fast as you want them to go. I admit they do require a lot of throttle if you want to go fast and an auto just makes it worse. I really like my manual though I just wish it didn't have the stumbling issue!
Hi, thanks for your response. I do believe my issue with the "stumble" effect is exactly the same as yours. I think you, and some others were much better articulating the specific details better than I. I really do love this car. This issue just has me frustrated. My wife discribes it as feeling like it is beginning to stall, at about 10-15 mph and then engaging again. Then from about 15- mph up, it's a rocket ship if you want. We are a Honda family. My son has the 2012 Civic SI And my brother had the 2014 Accord. Mine is the only one that had us perplexed. Thanks again!

Old 03-22-2015, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by Gds1958
Hi, thanks for your response. I do believe my issue with the "stumble" effect is exactly the same as yours. I think you, and some others were much better articulating the specific details better than I. I really do love this car. This issue just has me frustrated. My wife discribes it as feeling like it is beginning to stall, at about 10-15 mph and then engaging again. Then from about 15- mph up, it's a rocket ship if you want. We are a Honda family. My son has the 2012 Civic SI And my brother had the 2014 Accord. Mine is the only one that had us perplexed. Thanks again!
O ok well in that case try a couple things for me and or us here? Make sure not to have a/c heat selector NOT on a/c or defrost and also try turning off the stability control and tell us if either of those 2 help? Also you have the econ button right? See if it is better or worse with it on or off? thks!

O and wait a month and take it back to the dealer!!!

Old 03-23-2015, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
Jim, have you tried test driving another manual to see if it has the same problem? Go to another dealer and just look like a shopper and ask for a test drive if necessary. That way you can see if your car is behaving the same or not.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:30 AM
I'm also experiencing a hesitation, I can get it to happen every time I'm lightly accelerating (like an 1/8 to 1/4 throttle) in second gear only at around 2500 rpm when the engine is cold or hot. I haven't brought it to the dealer cause I'm a technician for BMW and in my experience with BMW's if there's no faults and the engine is running fine in every other situation its most likely a programming related issue which theres nothing we can do about it if the manufacturer doesn't have upgraded software for it. Honestly its just one of those things about the car you learn to deal with and not worry about, turn your music up and have fun driving your car.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
i have a 2015 ex manual and i think i have the stumble also, its ONLY when its cold, and its only happened about 2 times (only owned the car 3 months )
i can understand the lean burn transition, but its depressing when its a new car...
it feels like th engine just cuts out for a second, then alls fine

Old 08-18-2015, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
google "direct injection engine stumble", i am sure we are too early for deposits on the valves, but i hope we dont have a "deposity" engine. I guess only time will tell. i doubt this is the problem for us since the cars are so young. Im not too concerned, especially when i see other people with the same problem. A bit depressing though

Old 08-18-2015, 04:07 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i read the thread title a while back so i tried a slow start in my wife's GK (CVT) going up a slight grade last week.

no stumble or anything to report.

btw, on your MT's, why are you shifting so low? i crank up 1st to 3k, closer to 4k in most traffic on all 3 of my MT cars.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:56 PM
I have the 6MT. The issue i am having is when shifting into 1st gear from a stop and i accelerate it almost feels like the engine is not getting fuel or gasping for air almost like a person when they are choking they breath a lil and choke. thats how the car feels its driving and up the rpm range to about 3k to 5k its stumbling it happens not just when its cold but doesn't happen often couple times a day randomly not enough to replicate if i goto the dealer i thought it was just me i was thinking maybe bad ground. i looked at the battery and the negative terminal looks like acid corrosion is all over the terminal. and here i go thinking i was the only one this was happening to.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
Looks like OP hasn't posted since March so I wonder if his issue was ever resolved.

For the record, I did his test four times over several minutes (had to wait for traffic to clear behind me). In each instance I accelerated to 40 mph, shifted to sixth gear, set cruise control, confirmed that cruise was working, tapped brake to disengage cruise, resumed cruise at 26 mph. In each instance, I felt no stumble or hesitation in accelerating back to 40 mph. Acceleration was extremely slow but it was smooth and continuous. If it helps, my car is a Jan '15 build and has about 3K on the odometer, owned for three months now.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:29 AM
I bought a new 2015 Honda Fit 6 speed stick 2 months ago and I also have that 2nd gear cough/delay thing. It's super annoying. Just under 2500 rpm. I really regret having bought this car. It is really no fun to drive. It's weak. Oh God so weak in first gear taking off at a traffic light up a hill. Hopefully Honda does not offer this model for sale in San Francisco or the Rockies. But I guess I knew it would be underpowered when I bought it because of the fuel economy, which I was attracted to. I had a '94 Civic CX Hatchback in college and loved that! I was hoping for the same experience. It was no powerhouse either, but was alot more fun than this Fit. The gas pedal also feels dead to me. I would've bought another Civic, but why no hatchbacks here in the States?

Quick Reply: slow speed driving stumble?