3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

slow speed driving stumble?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by Sedna5
I bought a new 2015 Honda Fit 6 speed stick 2 months ago and I also have that 2nd gear cough/delay thing. It's super annoying. Just under 2500 rpm. I really regret having bought this car. It is really no fun to drive. It's weak. Oh God so weak in first gear taking off at a traffic light up a hill. Hopefully Honda does not offer this model for sale in San Francisco or the Rockies. But I guess I knew it would be underpowered when I bought it because of the fuel economy, which I was attracted to. I had a '94 Civic CX Hatchback in college and loved that! I was hoping for the same experience. It was no powerhouse either, but was alot more fun than this Fit. The gas pedal also feels dead to me. I would've bought another Civic, but why no hatchbacks here in the States?
Hmmm, odd. Mine has more than enough power.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jim Grames
Well I haven't been to dealer yet but I discovered a way to duplicate the problem every time. I was hoping others might try it as well? Drive to what ever speed you want and in 6th gear set cruise on. I was doing 40 then cancel cruise till you get to 26 mph then hit resume and just let the cruise speed the car up. Out of the 10 times I did this it would stumble every time but sometimes very minor stumble and other VERY noticeable that you knew something wasn't right? POST WHAT YOU GUYS FIND!
26 MPH in 6th gear is lugging the engine. Even 40 MPH in 6th gear is borderline lugging the engine. This is a 1.5 liter (92 cubic inch) 4 cylinder, not a Chevy 350 V8. A modern Harley-Davidson has a bigger engine than this car.

I guess I don't have this problem because I shift at 3500-4000 RPM.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:57 AM
I want to chime in here.

I've had the hesitation issue consistently at low RPM, I would also get it in 3rd gear around 4500 rpm, which was VERY annoying.

Anyways, the check engine light turned on about 2 weeks ago, codes P0300, P0301, P0303 (misfires) and P219A (fuel/air ratio problem). The car is still Under warranty, the dealer changed the fuel injectors per a service bulletin issued in June 2016 (check out a misfire tread here https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...4-misfire.html, we discuss it and the actual service bulleting is posted on page 2).

Anyways, changing the injectors COMPLETELY SOLVED THE HESITATION PROBLEM. I just can't get the car to hesitate anymore. No matter if the engine is cold, warm, what RPM, engine load combination I try, the car runs perfectly smooth.

This just goes to show that hesitation is not normal !

Old 12-21-2016, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Glenn24
This just goes to show that hesitation is not normal !
I agree. Def not normal and something I noticed almost immediately after purchasing mine.

I typically experience the hesitation in 2nd gear around 2500 RPM if I shift before 3500 RPM out of 1st. I get it rarely in 3rd.

I figured it was something to do with ECU or fuel management programming. I simply modified my shifting habits to compensate, but it's still annoying.

I have yet to bring it up with the dealer, but perhaps I should. However, I'm not sure it'll get me anywhere if I'm not throwing a code.

What do you guys think?

Old 12-21-2016, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by WagovanMan

What do you guys think?
Go nuts, I support you 100%.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:30 AM
I have a 2015 with CVT and it has developed a stumble between 2100 and 2500 RPM. I don't know to call it a stumble or stutter. Was looking around on the threads here to see if anyone knew the cause. Is there a keyword to search for?

Old 12-23-2016, 03:54 PM
It goes away with Ktuner software, if we are talking about the same thing. Also the throttle lag goes away.

Last edited by action213; 12-23-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:03 PM
I think you mean Ktuner, not Kturner.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by Jim Grames
If I shift between 1500 - 2500ish I get a stumble or hesitation. She has done this since new. Worse when it's cold. I was hoping putting a few miles on her would clear it up. 1500 miles later and still missing. I have tried regular and premium made no difference. Drive it past 3k rpms and no stumble? No CEL. I took it to dealer and guest what? Ya you know what they said "it drives normal" So I had the mechanic go for a test ride with me and he admitted "it only does it a little" WTF! What more do I have to say? So I will take it back next week and mechanic was going to call honda on it. So anyone else having a similar issue?
i know this is an old post but was wondering if you ever had any luck resolving this issue? I just bought a used (15k) 2018 Fit Sport Manual and have noticed the same thing you describe. Mine happens right at about 2500 and it is very noticeable before the motor is fully warmed up.

If you gas it just a little more than normal it seems like it doesn’t do it but I’ve only noticed it before the motor is fully up to temp.

Thanks

Old 04-26-2019, 10:53 PM
GK5 6MT Datalog / Stumble

I recently bought a used 2018 Fit Sport 6MT. Love the car but very quickly noticed the stumble or hesitation from about 2200 to 2800 RPM.

I’ve been a car nut forever and have previously owned two different cars that I had all of the normal add ons and had the cars tuned. First was a Evo VIII and later a WRX.

The WRX was a drive by wire car and I wore my tuner out working on light throttle smoothness.

Anyway i datalogged both cars extensively to make to make sure the tune was safe with no knocking, etc.

Sorry old guy now so apologies for the novel.

Fast forward to the Fit. I bought one of the Blue Driver Bluetooth OBD gadgets and have done some logs with the Fit.

Been trying to figure out what is happening when it does that stumble or surge at light throttle.

What I have discovered is the ignition timing is all over the place when it does the surging. Ignition timing being pulled usually happens when the knock sensors detect detonation.

What is really odd on the Honda compared to both the Evo and Subie is how much timing is being pulled.

I have found that if I just gas it a little more than normal that the timing values look good and there’s no big changes.

If I drive using throttle the timing is all over the place.

I’m no expert at posting but will try and attach an image showing some of the log.

Haha well I didn’t want the attachment to be gigantic but it is!

B column is RPM, C is ignition timing and D is throttle position

As you can see at 14.6 on throttle which is barely off idle the timing jumps from zero to 44.

I have some other logs where at the same throttle opening the timing will go from around 38 which is a fair amount of advance to zero.

This is why it feels like it falls on it’s face.

Maybe some of the tuners can chime in here.

It seems like the ECU is programmed to be super safe in regards to any knocking.

Just seems really odd how much timing it is pulling.

I have now just started to drive the car just a little harder than I normally would and never get the surge when going through the gears but will feel it if you’re cruising along at the 2200 to 2800 RPM range and start to give it more throttle.

I don’t have a computer anymore so I can’t sort the data like you could on a Mac or PC but you can see here what is happening with the timing.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:47 AM
I traded the car in but seen a recall for bad coils

Old 04-27-2019, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
I have the same issue with my '18 6MT. Before the engine is fully warmed up, there is a very pronounced stumble at slow speeds, 1st and up through 2nd and 3rd gear, lower rpms moving from a stop. Quite annoying, actually.

Last edited by Alfa38; 04-27-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Alfa38
Quite annoying, actually.
I agree 100%. I have found that it only does this at very light amounts of throttle. Just off an idle is where it’s very noticeable. If I gas it just a bit more than normal it runs fine. After a shift now I just get back in the gas a fair amount and avoid that weird flat spot / stumble.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:35 PM
Has anyone found a actual FIX for this annoyance?!?!? Mine used to do it only every once in a while now its all the time. I recently replaced all four coils, plugs and air flow meter for maint reasons. Vehicle drove great for a few days and then the stumble @ 1500-2500 rpm under normal driving is back .

Old 06-26-2019, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bertosfit
Has anyone found a actual FIX for this annoyance?!?!? Mine used to do it only every once in a while now its all the time. I recently replaced all four coils, plugs and air flow meter for maint reasons. Vehicle drove great for a few days and then the stumble @ 1500-2500 rpm under normal driving is back .
Do you have an Ultragauge or Scangauge?
Set it up and check for vacuum leaks and/or EGR issues.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:19 AM
I have no mechanical back ground
just some share idea what may goes wrong
my case is the air flow sensor dead, it will losing power at low speed and even cut off between traffic light.
got smell of gas FM the exhaust..
on the obd reader you can see the long term and short term trim is very high goes up to 20%... at worst the idle rpm swing up and down..
then after replacing the intake air flow sensor it feels better than new.. no gap between 2000rpm and 3000rpm
so I guess that sensor already have problem when it was new
good luck

Old 06-27-2019, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
I just learned to live with the issue

as the others have said, more gas pedal = hesitation is less

I am ktuned, I even tried running 91 oct ... issue persists

Old 06-27-2019, 10:44 AM
Normal, non issue if it's only during the first mile after idle warm-up. If the issue occurs after driving a bit, maybe look into it.

With mine, i've made it a habit to allow the blue light to go away before pulling out of my parking lot. Then I drive in second gear at about 25mph (~3.5k rpm) for about 1/4 mile and it's fine.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:16 PM
I have a 2019 Sport MT, built in July. It's not a daily driver, and so far it only has ~1500km on it.

I've also noticed this hesitation / stumble, and would say it occurs at fairly light throttle and somewhere ~2000rpm. Kinda surprising in this day and age, and especially after all these years with this generation of Fit.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
yea my '19 will stumble once and a while from a stop if i'm not too careful with the clutch and engine rpm . and if it does it will usually
do it a little more going into 2nd . it's avoidable , you just have to be mindful . i don't think it's a small engine thing , my '90 civic had
a 1.5 but never did anything like this . i think it's the computer mapping

Quick Reply: slow speed driving stumble?