3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

windshield washer adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by CyclingFit
Whatever you stick in the nozzle, dont just twist it like it's a shifter. Finess is all i can say. Mine popped like they ratchet in there. One click up on both sides went from the bottom of the window to the top.

Goid luck.
I was planning on using a straight pin since that was mentioned - is the correct movement to stick it in there and pull up?

Old 02-21-2015, 06:25 PM
No luck so far - used a straight pin and a flat head screwdriver, but no matter how I tried to push them up, the spray is still super low. Could somebody who has successfully changed the spray angle share how they did this?

Old 02-21-2015, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cranraspberry
No luck so far - used a straight pin and a flat head screwdriver, but no matter how I tried to push them up, the spray is still super low. Could somebody who has successfully changed the spray angle share how they did this?
i would wait till it warms up. or, if you have a garage to put the car in, do it in there.

i haven't adjusted mine, in fear of breaking it, since it has been so cold out.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:39 PM
Ah, you're right, the cold could have something to do with it! But in all honesty I'm not sure what exactly could break, since nothing seemed to move when I tried to wiggle it around?..

Old 02-21-2015, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
I have taken the cowl off to get to the spark plugs (which involved disconnecting the rubber windshield washer fluid lines). When I put everything back together, the driver's side nozzle sprayed lower than it used to. It no sprays to the middle of the windshield only, whether as in the past both sprayed up to 3/4th of the windshield.
I am thinking I might have jammed or moved the hose out of the original path causing increased pinching somewhere so the fluid doesn't get out of the nozzle with full force anymore.

Getting the cowl out is a 30 min to an hour and a half job so I am just gonna leave it as is. It's not too bad. I don't want to break the tabs messing with the cower again until I have to replace the plugs in the future.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:01 AM
Hey if mine sprayed to the middle I'd be a happy camper! But it seems to mostly hit the wiper arms and maybe the bottom 4" of the windshield. The passenger side actually hits a little higher than the driver side, so I'm hoping that's an indication of at least some adjustment being possible.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
supposed to be a high of 43 today. i just cleaned the cars off fro last night snowfall, i will try in a few hours.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:05 AM
Just some more observational data...
My washer spray has varied between lower half and lower quarter of the windshield. It does seem to be dependent on engine temp and ambient temp. Cold engine and freezing temp I get a low steam. A warm engine with cold temps I get a stream at below middle of windshield. However, yesterday the temp was in the 60's and the washer stream was hitting the upper part of the windshield, as I would expect. I'm also still on the factory supplied washer fluid. Maybe the factory fluid gets too dense in freezing temps for the pump?

Old 02-22-2015, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
just moved my washer nozzles. i nailed the passenger side in one shot, moved it one click up. it is perfect. the driver side nozzle fought me a little. seemed one click up and it shot over the car, and one click down and it was spraying into the cowl. i need to take it for a drive, but i think i got it close.

highest adjustment

lowest adjustment (useless)

Last edited by rodney; 02-22-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:13 PM
Details please!! What did you use, and how tight was it? And how much pressure till you felt a click?

Old 02-22-2015, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
Details please!! What did you use, and how tight was it? And how much pressure till you felt a click?
i used a small screwdriver. i used two hands and grabbed the head of the screwdriver, so as to only put force where i needed to. you can't be ginger with it, or it won't move.

i feel like i would have broken it if i tried this yesterday. it is in the low 40's now. i also let the car run for a bit, so everything was warm.

Originally Posted by Silvermeep
Maybe the factory fluid gets too dense in freezing temps for the pump?
i dumped that stuff in august when i got the car. big fan of rainx fluid.

Last edited by rodney; 02-22-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:22 PM
Thank you! Balmy 38 degrees here today, so I'll see if I can get it to move.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you! Balmy 38 degrees here today, so I'll see if I can get it to move.
just checked the temp. same, 38. feels like summer though... if the car is in the sun for a bit, you will be ok.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:22 PM
Well that failed. Adjusted it one click up and the fluid went over the roof of the car, and while I was trying to get it into some in between position the thing broke. Guess I'll have to call the service department of my dealership tomorrow.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
let's see a pic of the broken part...

Old 02-23-2015, 06:00 PM
You could try heating up the area with a hair dryer if it is cold outside to make sure the plastic is not brittle or anything.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:02 AM
Cranraspberry, hopefully the dealer will still fix it no charge under warranty. You may have to do some smooth talking to convince them though. Look at the bright side, you may have helped several other Fit owners save some repair charges that they might have incurred had they tried to do the fix themselves. Good luck.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:25 PM
Sorry for the absence of photos - my phone wouldn't focus last night, and today is freezing in MA (again), but I'll try to explain so that others can learn through my mistake.

I used the flat end of the nail file from the SwissCard for this - less sharp than a regular flat head screwdriver.
I was able to adjust both sides one click up pretty easily, however at that setting they were spraying over the roof. When I adjusted the driver side back down it sprayed even lower than before. After some fiddling I was able to coax it into some middle position, but then it was spraying too far out and hitting the driver's side window, so I tried rotating it a bit, it went too far, I tried to even it back out and that's where the part circled below broke off. I then tried to insert a tiny flat head screwdriver into the slot to see if I could turn it back out, but it ended up just damaging the plastic even further.
Now it still sprays, but instead of two even sprays like on the passenger side I get one thick jet hitting the center of the driver side windshield. Perfect height though!

Name:  HHBEKtTl.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  42.9 KB

I found the damaged part online, it's like a $6-8 piece of plastic labeled "Nozzle Assy" (the 12 year old in me snickers every. single. time.): Part Number: 76810-T5R-A02
Seems like a fairly quick and easy fix to swap it out, hopefully that is actually the case.