3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Car Wash vs. Rear Wiper

Old 03-26-2015, 10:09 AM
Do you guys take the antenna off when you go to a carwash as well?

Old 03-30-2015, 06:34 AM
I don't ever remove the antenna. It seems too small and stubby to get damaged.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by quikser
Soft cloth car wash, weekly or more frequent... No scratches and no issues with the rear wiper (I fold the mirrors in myself just to play it safe). Granted I have a silver car (so I can be less picky, don't want to be a slave to every little imperfection that will happen). Definitely don't go to washes using actual brushes...

The place I go to charges 8 dollars for their basic wash, and 20 monthly for the unlimited pass, plus we have crazy levels of water restrictions during various times of the year.
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread and even more sorry for the really dumb question, but what do you use to wash your car at home. My Fit is the first new car I've ever bought and I'm being pretty OCD about how clean it is. I live in an apartment and I've always had to take my car to a touchless wash,but I picked up some microfiber cloths to clean the inside of the doors, but seeing how dirty they can get I just feel like I'm rubbing scratchy dirt everywhere. :-/

Old 04-13-2015, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GoBucky
So, I pulled out of the carwash yesterday and noticed my rear wiper was sticking straight out. I immediately jumped out to examine it and was relieved to see that there was no damage. Now of course I am concerned about potential future damage. I really like this carwash since it is close to home and has a decent price. My concern may force to me find a touchless wash, which doesn't do as good a job cleaning and normally costs more. Has anyone had damage done to their Fit from a carwash?
Originally Posted by ski-line900
Yes, if you care about your paint, never go to one of these. You are going to have so many spider web scratches from these places.
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Unless the quality of Honda paint has improved dramatically recently, I highly recommend sticking with touchless washes or hand washes. Those crappy brush washes will leave micro and even macro scratches everywhere.

I spent a whole two days hand polishing out all the scratches I acquired when I stupidly thought that Honda was still using quality paint... though I have a black car and it shows everything.
Touch/Soft Touch washes will damage ALL paints. Regardless of whether its hard BMW/Merc paint or soft Subaru/Mazda/Honda paint.

Touchless or nothing...unless you like swirls caused by dirty, hard rubber things hitting your car.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by blinduvula
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread and even more sorry for the really dumb question, but what do you use to wash your car at home. My Fit is the first new car I've ever bought and I'm being pretty OCD about how clean it is. I live in an apartment and I've always had to take my car to a touchless wash,but I picked up some microfiber cloths to clean the inside of the doors, but seeing how dirty they can get I just feel like I'm rubbing scratchy dirt everywhere. :-/
First of all, make sure you use a car wash soap, not a dish detergent, which will wreak havoc on your clear coat if it has a degreaser in it. Your first step should be to thoroughly rinse your car to get as much loose dirt off as possible. Start from the top of the car and work your way to the bottom (where it's dirtiest), this applies to rinsing, washing and drying. Many will use the two bucket approach, I just use one bucket. I use a car wash mitt to wash and a chamois to dry it.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
I use Meguiar's. I'm happy with it but there are plenty of choices.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:10 PM
nice disscussion to all you.
keep it up! i am looking for a good steamer. can an body can help me !

Last edited by anthonyjohn; 07-15-2018 at 08:54 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 07-05-2018, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by anthonyjohn
nice disscussion to all you.
keep it up!
well done.
best 1st post .... EVER

Old 07-06-2018, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member
At my local drive through car wash, they always place a piece of tape on the rear wiper before I enter.

So it must be a known point of potential damage, not just on the Fit.

I don't think I'd go through without the wiper being taped down.