3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I can't believe I dented my Fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
Yes the sheet metal is to thin! Biggest reason I want my 2009 back! It's also the reason Thule and Yakima won't roof rack a 2015. I have a Yakima rack from my 2009 and adapted it to the 2015 with no issues mounting the stand off towers closer to the roof seam. However when installing the rack it fell over and put a similar dent in roof to yours. I got a Fix a Dent kit at local Auto Zone ,and it worked great. Very slight ripple left over in my roof and you have to look for it to find it.

PaFitter

Old 05-26-2015, 08:05 AM
That is very unfortunate festiboi. But like me, I'm sure many Fit owners wish to thank you for posting this and making us all aware that we need to be especially careful what we do near the Fit's body panels. Good luck with your repair.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
Upside down can of compressed air for about 15 seconds (should be a visible spray), then run a heat gun over it very gingerly...should pop right back out.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:06 PM
Thanks everyone for the sympathy and suggestions. I do have a paintless dent removal guy coming out on Thursday morning to take a look. He's actually the guy that Edmunds.com uses and came highly recommended as one of the best in LA. He's actually going to get in under the headliner and go that route. Estimated cost is $150-250 to remove all of the dents

Old 05-28-2015, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by festiboi
Thanks everyone for the sympathy and suggestions. I do have a paintless dent removal guy coming out on Thursday morning to take a look. He's actually the guy that Edmunds.com uses and came highly recommended as one of the best in LA. He's actually going to get in under the headliner and go that route. Estimated cost is $150-250 to remove all of the dents
That's not bad, let us know how it turns out. Perhaps before and after pics would be in order?

Old 05-28-2015, 04:04 PM
The guy came by the house this morning; very courteous, professional, and extremely knowledgable. We used to use him for our dents when I worked for Edmunds.com years ago.

Anyway, he planned on drilling a hole under the weatherstripping at the top of the door jam and using tools to pop out the dents. However, after drilling a small hole, he could see that the frame is directly below this roof panel and access is impossible.

He'll have to use suction to get it out now, and plans on working on it on Monday. To be continued....

Old 05-29-2015, 06:43 AM
Originally Posted by festiboi
The guy came by the house this morning; very courteous, professional, and extremely knowledgable. We used to use him for our dents when I worked for Edmunds.com years ago.

Anyway, he planned on drilling a hole under the weatherstripping at the top of the door jam and using tools to pop out the dents. However, after drilling a small hole, he could see that the frame is directly below this roof panel and access is impossible.

He'll have to use suction to get it out now, and plans on working on it on Monday. To be continued....
Ouch, and now you have a hole in your car. Hopefully he sealed it up.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:57 PM
The car is back from the dent repairman! I had to drop it off on Sunday at his house, and picked it up last night.

The roof looks brand new and is flawless. He did a great job. In total, there were four little dents that I had put on there. Total damage to the pocket book: $250

He made a note that in his 30 years of dent repair, this Fit has among the thinnest, most pliable sheetmetal that he's ever seen. He pressed on some of the sheetmetal on the car to demonstrate how easily it gives in to even some light finger pressure. It was a word of warning just to be careful, which goes to all of you as well. He joked that if you breath on the panels that they could dent, but in seriousness, even an impact with a bee on a freeway could cause some body damage.

I'll get some after pictures up in the next day

Old 06-03-2015, 06:42 AM
I'm happy to hear your roof looks brand new again, I'm sure you were glad to pay the $250 to have it fixed. That's money well spent, especially if you're selling/trading it in. The thin metal is one of the things that allows the Fit to weigh in at a trim 2500 lbs.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:29 AM
I noticed how thin the metal is also, but that is the price you pay I guess for the weight. Had to be very careful how tight I put my roof rack (Thule with combination of kits) on this past winter for skiing. To note though, a colleague has a 2010 Silverado and its sheet metal feels just about as thin as the Fit. All the strength is in the structure, not the attached panels so they want them as thin as possible for the weight/fuel economy.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:22 PM
The after photos. Looks like nothing ever happened!

Name:  CAM01340.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  178.8 KB

Name:  CAM01339.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  185.9 KB

Old 07-26-2015, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SLVR6
I noticed how thin the metal is also, but that is the price you pay I guess for the weight. Had to be very careful how tight I put my roof rack (Thule with combination of kits) on this past winter for skiing. To note though, a colleague has a 2010 Silverado and its sheet metal feels just about as thin as the Fit. All the strength is in the structure, not the attached panels so they want them as thin as possible for the weight/fuel economy.

Man....now I'm getting conce3rned about my board rack this winter :\

I can definitely toss both my, and my wife's snowboard in the back with the seats down, but that's it... REALLY hope this won't be a problem...

Old 07-27-2015, 06:54 AM
5 Year Member
I wish they made car bodies from Tupperware.

Last edited by Press Fit; 07-27-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Press Fit
I wish they made car bodies were Tupperware.
Think Saturn.......trade denting for cracking.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by KByers12
Man....now I'm getting conce3rned about my board rack this winter :\

I can definitely toss both my, and my wife's snowboard in the back with the seats down, but that's it... REALLY hope this won't be a problem...
I used my Thule rack this past winter and my advice, be careful! Tighten the attachments to where they are firm, don't over tighten. Also be super careful not to drop anything!

Old 07-28-2015, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
Think Saturn.......trade denting for cracking.

Those dent resistant doors tho.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
I used my Thule rack this past winter and my advice, be careful! Tighten the attachments to where they are firm, don't over tighten. Also be super careful not to drop anything!

That's not what I like to hear at all...
Any idea if there are any rack attachments sold by Honda?
I haven't seen anything...

Old 07-28-2015, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
I got luckier...

I had a recent surgery and in an effort to get comfy in the car I was using the roof (reaching out the door frame) to sort of lift myself up and get situated. (instead of the oh-crap handle) When I started to pull myself up I could feel the roof quickly start to give. I stopped in time and no damage occurred but I was in shock at how easily it started to give way.

Last edited by CyclingFit; 07-28-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
It's time for some strong suction cups!

Old 07-29-2015, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
I know my reply doesn't help the OP but I will say that when waxing my car(s), I NEVER lean on the vehicle and let the weight of my buffer do the work.

I do agree that his car should not have dented so easily though.

Quick Reply: I can't believe I dented my Fit