3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I can't believe I dented my Fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 10:28 PM
I can't believe I dented my Fit

This is totally embarrassing! It all started with good intentions to wax and detail the car, and before I know it, I ended up with body damage!

While waxing the roof, I was resting the elbow that was not doing the swiping and whipping, and once I stepped back, there were three dents on the roof above the passenger door where I was resting it. Gasp!!!!

I can't believe that it dented that easily. I used to wash cars for Enterprise in college, and have waxed my cars, and many friends and family's, for years without this ever happening. The roof panel caved in easier than Poland and must be paper thin.

This just happened an hour ago, so now making calls to the dent repair shops for estimates. Grrrr!!! Can't believe what a twit I was! Anyone else have experiences with the roof panels being easily dented?

Name:  SAM_1229.jpg
Views: 1992
Size:  171.4 KB

Name:  SAM_1228.jpg
Views: 1797
Size:  140.1 KB

Name:  SAM_1230.jpg
Views: 2067
Size:  147.8 KB

Name:  SAM_1226.jpg
Views: 1820
Size:  155.1 KB

Name:  SAM_1233.jpg
Views: 1970
Size:  146.1 KB

Name:  SAM_1227.jpg
Views: 2128
Size:  172.2 KB

Last edited by festiboi; 05-22-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by festiboi
This is totally embarrassing! It all started with good intentions to wax and detail the car, and before I know it, I ended up with body damage!

While waxing the roof, I was resting the elbow that was not doing the swiping and whipping, and once I stepped back, there were three dents on the roof above the passenger door where I was resting it. Gasp!!!!

I can't believe that it dented that easily. I used to wash cars for Enterprise in college, and have waxed my cars, and many friends and family's, for years without this ever happening. The roof panel caved in easier than Poland and must paper thin.

This just happened an hour ago, so now making calls to the dent repair shops for estimates. Grrrr!!! Can't believe what a twit I was! Anyone else have experiences with the roof panels being easily dented?
Mine is also dented slightly when installing the roof wrap. I was resting my elbow near where your dents are and when I stepped back, the reflection is not straight anymore but slightly waving.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
Wow... Couldnt that be a warrantable item there? I mean its not unreasonable to expect a crucial part of the vehicle frame to hold up to your elbow...

Old 05-22-2015, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by _craven_
Mine is also dented slightly when installing the roof wrap. I was resting my elbow near where your dents are and when I stepped back, the reflection is not straight anymore but slightly waving.
That's exactly how it happened; almost too easy! Did you do anything to resolve the waviness of the panel?

There's must be absolutely zero framework under that particular part of the panel

Old 05-22-2015, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by connor55
Wow... Couldnt that be a warrantable item there? I mean its not unreasonable to expect a crucial part of the vehicle frame to hold up to your elbow...
That would be nice. It's worth asking the dealer, but doubtful that they will honor that

Old 05-22-2015, 10:59 PM
Just got one quote after submitting the photos; about $275-$300 to remove the three collective dents. Not as bad as expected but still an "Ouch!" I'll see if I can get some more quotes in the next week

Old 05-22-2015, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
Those PDR guys can fix that up for no more than about $50 for each dent.

PDR = paintless dent repair

Old 05-23-2015, 01:42 AM
Y'all have powerful elbows that's for sure. I'd never want to mess with you!

Old 05-23-2015, 05:01 AM
5 Year Member
Well… watch out for the rear fenders, too. Ours is pushed in about 1/4" - 3/8", in about a 9" circle right in front of the tail light on the drivers side. I didn't think much of it, but a guy in a wheelchair passed along that side. Finding it later, my guess is he pushed off it with his open hand to try to keep from hitting the chair from hitting it and it just caved. There's no scratches, no creasing in the metal and it should pop out fairly easily, but I'm going to let a PDR guy with experience do it. I probably wouldn't notice it except for the reflection in the paint. The sheet metal on these cars has to be paper thin.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:42 AM
5 Year Member
I hope your not selling it due to the dents! Thanks for pointing this weakness out. I will be sure to avoid the same damage when waxing my daughters this summer.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
Y'all have powerful elbows that's for sure. I'd never want to mess with you!

Lol That's exactly what my husband said last night after I told him. I underestimated my own strength!

Old 05-23-2015, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Vanguard
I hope your not selling it due to the dents! Thanks for pointing this weakness out. I will be sure to avoid the same damage when waxing my daughters this summer.
No, it was already for sale. I think it's the cars way of fighting back perhaps! Maybe the Fit version of "Misery"; "If I can't have you, then nobody can!"

Yeah, just be careful when you are waxing the roof. It happened so quickly and easily. As another person stated, it happened to them without much trouble too

Old 05-23-2015, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanguard
You have more than one fit and you're calling them your daughters!?

Overall the steel on these cars is soft, malleable. You should just try to pull your front fenders with hands and you'll see what I'm talking about. Not that it bothers me much but it gave me some food for thought.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
I have the same dent but I do not recall stepping or something into the car. So I don't know if it came from fabric or I did it without noticing in the first days but they are not really that noticeable unless you want to see it. Doesn't affect t all so I don't even get upset when entering the car.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:49 AM
That's exactly how it happened; almost too easy! Did you do anything to resolve the waviness of the panel?

There's must be absolutely zero framework under that particular part of the panel
I didn't do anything to resolve the waviness. It's not that noticeable though, only when you focus on the panel you will see the waviness.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
Sheet metal on all cars in general is getting thinner to save on weight and get better fuel economy. There's a limit to what can be done lower down because crash protection is needed. The roof on the other hand is fair game and a logical place for the designers to shave off metal and minimize structural support. Well, at least Honda hasn't started replacing non-critical steel panels with aluminum or plastics but that's probably coming. Come to think of it though, plastics might have a better ability than metal to naturally bounce back when deformed.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:09 PM

I can't believe that it dented that easily. I used to wash cars for Enterprise in college, and have waxed my cars, and many friends and family's, for years without this ever happening. The roof panel caved in easier than Poland and must be paper thin.

Dang that sucks, why are you selling it with those low miles?

Old 05-24-2015, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
Wow. I can't believe that it dented so easily. At least they are not too noticeable.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
I noticed the sheet metal is ridiculously thin. I wonder that's why the car weighs 2500 lbs while still having enough strength in the body under the metal to get the 5 star crash rating.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:47 AM
Similar spot on the roof of my GE8, though a little more subtle, but again it was very surprising that this would happen with minimal pressure. Let this be a "cautionary tale to all!"

Quick Reply: I can't believe I dented my Fit